Vannin' Home
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Triton question - December 02nd 2020 3:23 am
This is not totally van related, but...

I know certain Tristan motors had a issue with spitting out spark plugs, what years where effected by this problem ? Are there other issues with that motor I need to be aware of ? I ask because we are looking at maybe buying a Class C RV, and it seams most are built on Ford chassis.
Thanks for any advice !
Posted By: NateB Re: Triton question - December 02nd 2020 5:33 pm
All I know is stay away from the 3-valve Triton engines! Spark plug and timing chain/cam issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcN_WcGr4BU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGlccL25i9Y
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Triton question - December 02nd 2020 6:54 pm
Hey UF long time ... how ya been doin ?
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: Triton question - December 09th 2020 12:44 am
I am doing good buddy, thanks ! How have you been ?

As to my question, I have done some more research and it looks as if the problem motors where the 5.4 3valve ones, so I just need to learn how to ID those and I should be good. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Triton question - December 09th 2020 1:31 am
IM good bud .. hows the wife N kids doin ?
Posted By: JIm Rockford Re: Triton question - December 31st 2020 5:51 pm
Ford never installed the 3valve in the econoline, the plug issue is from people that change plugs and are scared to really torque em down, about 25ft lbs in good, if they dont get tightened down and then they start working loose and them it pulls the threads out, They dont just blow out.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: Triton question - May 20th 2021 4:24 pm
Thanks for the info guys....now to start searching
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Triton question - May 20th 2021 5:52 pm
Originally Posted by JIm_Rockford
Ford never installed the 3valve in the econoline, the plug issue is from people that change plugs and are scared to really torque em down, about 25ft lbs in good, if they dont get tightened down and then they start working loose and them it pulls the threads out, They dont just blow out.

Not true. The Triton has a bad reputation for spark plugs blowing out of the block and taking the threads with them. A lot of people are confused as to why Ford never did a recall on them. Its weird because there is no common factor. It can happen to low mileage engines, high mileage, and anything in between.
© Vannin' Community and Forums