Vannin' Home
Yesterday was the test drive, inspection, and negotiation. Today I handed over cash, got it registered and replaced the battery.

The 89 Econoline 150 conversion was mine. Plenty of work to do but mechanically sound and two mechanics gave it the thumbs up for purchase and the 100 mile drive home.

I made 40 miles before the engine temp crept up towards the red line. Then it sat on the 'L' in normal for another 10. Then it finally got the end of normal and I pulled over to get a local shop to run a coolant diagnostic.

So close.

Come on baby... Be something small so I can get moving and deal with it at home.

Anyone else have their inaugural drive go south?
Ugh...hate that. Hopefully a small leak at a hose, or something easy.
Fingers crossed!

I did budget 2k for upfront repairs so we're prepared for this but you always hope you don't need it.
If it is the original brass radiator it might need to be cleaned out or even replaced. Check the clutch on the radiator fan and thermostat.
Leaking water pump and blocked rad. Said to change out all out and make it right from day 1 Going to have them do new shocks at the same time.

Sucks but better now than going over a pass.
Because when it rains it pours ...

Water pump bolts broke off and need to be drilled out. They are pulling the timing cover to do this so I asked them to check the chain while they are in there. What are the odds it's not loose?

$1200 ... $1500 ... $1900

I've never had a new purchase fail on the way home, but I've had cars I've sold not make it to their new owner's home.
That makes me sound like a crook, but they weren't my fault. LOL

One was a '76 F-100 that quit running after the new owner put "something" in the fuel tank to "make it run better" (It ran fine when he left my place).

The other was a 1970 VW Westfalia. We'd been using it regularly to go to our local theme park, and had no issues, but as soon as I sold it...
The float valve in the carb got stuck and flooded the engine.
The guy called me in a panic, "What did you sell me? I'm stuck on the side of the highway, and there's gas coming out the exhaust!"
I reassured him that I hadn't lied to him or anything and that I didn't know what had gone wrong.
I didn't know what had happened at the time, but I saw it happen on another VW later and then figured it out.

My favorite story though...
A guy contacted me about a 1970 Volvo 145 wagon I had for sale, and offered a '68 Beetle as a trade.
He said he was 200 miles away, but could bring the VW to my place and we could decide if we wanted to trade and what the deal would be.
He showed up with a really nice, complete, not overheated Beetle, and had a fit over the Volvo when he saw it.
We decided to trade even, but when I asked him if he was going to have the Volvo towed, he said, "No, I'll just drive it."
Drive it? I warned him that I'd only driven it around the block a few times the entire time I'd owned it, but he insisted.

He called me the next day saying how wonderfully it drove, and that the only problem he had was the engine noise... since it didn't have overdrive.
LOL

You're not Barry from Winton-Salem, are you? smile
My current Dodge van was bought from a stoner, I traded a 97 crown Victoria for it,while test driving the owner asked me" Hey what do you think about stop leak?"...I was doomed and I knew it...not only was the cooling system plugged up but the paltry 45 mile trip took 2.5 hours...had no beans it wouldn't go 30mph..I told myself get it back to the shop and take the converters off. Well I ran duals on it same thing..no lie it had 18-EIGHTEEN QUARTS OF OIL IN IT..needless to say,alot of leaks,and valve guide seals later,radiator,thermostat,clutch and fan,pretty much everything he said was changed ...but hey I Love my van and would do it again
So very common on Fords..Chrysler sometimes..Chevy never,I hate that for you but it is one less thing you will have to do,but that shoots your budget..I hope smooth sailing for now on.
Good luck with it.
Posted By: bubbafat Re: Finally got a van (89 e150) ... Almost made it home - August 01st 2018 12:28 am
Originally Posted by Astrocreep66
but that shoots your budget

Budget? Never heard of her.
Originally Posted by bubbafat
You're not Barry from Winton-Salem, are you? smile

No, why... Did you think you were one of my "victims"? LOL
Posted By: bubbafat Re: Finally got a van (89 e150) ... Almost made it home - August 01st 2018 10:51 pm
Drove 60 miles to pick it up... Before the test drive they find the driver-rear wheel cylinder is leaking brake fluid ... Back up on there lift it goes. We're close to the end, I just know it.

Instead of making the wife ride home with me now and then come back a fifth time (in 4 days) tomorrow, I got us a hotel room and am taking her to local breweries to drink away the frustration.

I'll get us home tomorrow morning and catch a ride back with buddy who is passing through here on Friday.

I'm glad this work is getting done now and that it'll be a safer, more reliable, ride. It just sucks to be doing it so far from home.
Posted By: Grey20 Re: Finally got a van (89 e150) ... Almost made it home - August 02nd 2018 8:34 am
In a way, I am glad that I am not the only one. I feel cursed sometime !!
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Finally got a van (89 e150) ... Almost made it home - August 02nd 2018 1:17 pm
Originally Posted by Grey20
In a way, I am glad that I am not the only one. I feel cursed sometime !!

Yer just saying that to make me feel better. LOL!

Always an Adventure. At least situational awareness, and good sense saved the day. Saved that motor for sure, good job bubbafat! Gets real, real quick out on the road at times.

I am reminded of my Mechanic FILaw. "It's a mechanical device, it's going to eventually break." Hmm. Must be why he owned a Shop.

My favorite. An I'll fated passing attempt upon which a kickdown downshift went awry. Went all the way down into into low, Ruh Row... and revved up waaay too high too quick, which resulted in loss of oil pressure, lotsa knocking, and no power. No, I wasn't stopping. Wife and Kid. (Laughing his ass off, little Jokester!) In the middle of the Mojave Desert. 110 degrees, 5 miles outside of Palmdale,Ca. on Hwy 395.

Which brings us to situational awareness. Safety. Preparation. Luck never hurts. Humor helps. Help and Friends are indispensable.

Fast Forward: It finally died in Palmdale after I loaded it up onto the UHaul trailer, just before closing. Whew... I also had to rent a 1 ton truck to pull it. Made it home safe. Put a 4.3 ATK motor back into the little Blazer, and Brandon learned how to drive in it. Laughing his ass off!

I have AAA now. With a 200 mile tow. including a trailer!

Wife wakes up after the Semi I passed, passed me. "Why are we going so slow? WHAT is all that that noise?!?"

"Look at the Oil Pressure..."

"What did YOU do to the car?!?" ( 2 syllable WHATs!!) (Also, see FIL statement above for my reply!)
"Well, Aren't you going to stop?!?"

"Oh Hell no... The motor's Toast. and, It's 110 degrees outside."
Originally Posted by Wedgy
The motor's Toast. and, It's 110 degrees outside.

Now that sucks. Some cooling system and brake work doesn't seem so bad now smile
Posted By: Dietrich Re: Finally got a van (89 e150) ... Almost made it home - September 15th 2018 4:50 am
Fun times bubba..always a rotten feeling to get a new vehicle and it have issues right away, especially brutal that you had it looked it ahead of time.

Within the first week of getting my 88 Dodge B250 I had stalling issues. The propane converter would freeze up because it needed frost plugs.

88 Corolla wagon alternator was going out the day after I bought it..didn't get stranded but a few days later I had to limp it around since the plug wires needed replacing badly.

Had a 96 4runner that blew a strut on the road a day or two after purchase.

Then a few days ago I picked up a 90 Safari that was gutless, barely made it up a hill. The seller completely bs'ed us, I'm still a bit choked about it. Have had to replace quite a few things to make the 150km drive home safely for my family..some people eh.
© Vannin' Community and Forums