Vannin' Home
Posted By: bird engine - May 29th 2017 1:21 pm
I'm replacing my 302 in my 72 ford econoline E100 van with a remanufactor.It had in it a 1980 302 casting # EOAE D3C(D-11 engine). My question is what's the difference between a DF-11 and a DF-46 302 engine,I search internet and can't find anything. (only thing I could find is the df46 price is lower than df11)
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: engine - May 29th 2017 3:47 pm
I'm not a Ford guy,so I can't answer your question. But....If I were in your place I'd be looking real hard at a 351. Practically no downsides except manifolds & flywheel/convertor.
Posted By: Reed Re: engine - May 29th 2017 4:12 pm
From the info in this website: http://remanufactured.com/Ford_8_Cylinder_Engines.htm

The DF11 if a high output motor and the DF 46 is not. The high output motors had bigger valves in the heads and bigger cams. The HO 302s also had the 351W firing order.

If I were you, and if I had the money, I would skip the early 80s stuff and go straight to a early 90s truck 302. The late 80s and early 90s truck motors had the same size valves in the heads as the earlier high output engine but were roller cam motors which gives you better choices for cam profiles.

The 302 lacks the torque to be a really good truck or van motor. My choice for a smallblock Ford motor in a truck or van is the 300 six cylinder or the 351W. I have never owned a mid Ford (69-74) but I have heard that there are clearance problems with a 351W, but I could be wrong. I do know the 351 will take a different flywheel, torque converter, motor mounts, and exhaust head pipe. If you decide to swap to a 351W or 300, you will need to do the research to make sure you get everything you need for the conversion. If you stick with a 302 the later the engine the better it will be.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: engine - May 30th 2017 8:25 pm
Just so you know... this was posted in the Chevy section.
Posted By: bird Re: engine - June 01st 2017 1:27 pm
thanks very much this was very good information
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: engine - June 01st 2017 2:03 pm
ANd if memory serves ,the motor comes out thru the BOTTOM.
Posted By: maples01 Re: engine - July 02nd 2017 6:01 am
Originally Posted by Hasan Ben Sobar

The engine comes out the passenger door.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: engine - July 02nd 2017 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by maples01
Originally Posted by Hasan Ben Sobar

The engine comes out the passenger door.

Mmmm-no. Side door maybe.
Posted By: vanfordman Re: engine - July 20th 2017 4:27 am
use the flywheel & t/c that matches the engine you install and a c/6 or aod will bolt up .
if you have a standard trans & going to an automatic your rear end gear ratio will not be correct youll have to change accordingly
© Vannin' Community and Forums