Vannin' Home
Posted By: Ninskrillz New wheels old lug nuts? - September 15th 2019 8:40 pm
Hey guys -

Just scored a pair of 15x10 cragar wheels for my 83 g20. Being the impatient dude I am I’m gonna throw them on before I find a deal on fronts.

My question is about the lug nuts. It seems to me that cragars use a special lug nut. I’m replacing Chevy rally wheels, and am curious if I can use the same lug nuts without issue. The lug holes on the cragars are about 1mm bigger than the rally wheels. I’ve bolted one of them up and the fitment seems fine. I’m new to custom automobiles and want to make sure she rolls down the road alright.

Attached is a pic of the lug nut if that helps. Any input would be great!

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: frscke1 Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 15th 2019 9:04 pm
I dont have them but I know those nuts are wrong. Do the bottom of your nuts have a conical shape (not flat) ?

I think your impatiens is the wrong thing to do N will do more harm than they look cool.

DO it right or do it twice.
Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 15th 2019 9:14 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
I dont have them but I know those nuts are wrong. Do the bottom of your nuts have a conical shape (not flat) ?

I think your impatiens is the wrong thing to do N will do more harm than they look cool.

DO it right or do it twice.

Yeah they are conical
Posted By: frscke1 Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 15th 2019 9:17 pm
Take those rims off your van . Till you get the right nuts.

there is more to a Crager lug nut than just a reg nut.

These may not be the exact ones you need but you see the difference .....

https://www.jegs.com/v/Cragar/260?N...M_-DT5AIVF7vsCh2iJAZmEAAYASAAEgLS-fD_BwE
Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 15th 2019 9:21 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
Take those rims off your van . Till you get the right nuts.

I don’t see the harm in parking it till I get the right nuts?
Posted By: Scrojira Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 15th 2019 10:33 pm
Let your impatience guide you. The absolute worst thing that will happen is you'll die.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 15th 2019 11:23 pm
Acorns will mangle the cragar then all you have is a good set of lug nuts and 4 wheels to make a coffee table out of.. the AutoZone up from my house sells the correct nuts.. the wheels look totally bitchin' on the van.just don't drive it. I did that in 1983 and had a cragar sst pass me at the end of my street..lol.
Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 1:28 am
Word thanks guys - after a little more thought and research I understand how they work now!
Posted By: Reed Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 2:43 am
If you REALLY like the rims, a wheel shop might be able to fill the holes and redrill them.
Posted By: Reed Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 2:48 am
It has been a long time since I had a set of Cragars, but if memory serves they basically just used a shank style lug nut. The hole for the lugnot was larger in diameter than the lug stud. The extra space was for the thickness of the shank on the lug nut. If someone has mounted the rims with acorn (tapered seat) lug nuts, the face of the rim might get damaged but the hole for the correct shank style lug nut should be mostly OK. If the face of the Cragar rim show marring from an acorn style lug nut, you may be able to grind/file/polish/machine the raised damage away and run the regular/correct shank-style lug nut and flat washer.

The shank-style lug nut isn't just a Cragar thing. I have run a set of American Racing slotted mags on my vans for about 15 years and they use a shank-style lug nut, too.
Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 4:24 am
Originally Posted by Reed
It has been a long time since I had a set of Cragars, but if memory serves they basically just used a shank style lug nut. The hole for the lugnot was larger in diameter than the lug stud. The extra space was for the thickness of the shank on the lug nut. If someone has mounted the rims with acorn (tapered seat) lug nuts, the face of the rim might get damaged but the hole for the correct shank style lug nut should be mostly OK. If the face of the Cragar rim show marring from an acorn style lug nut, you may be able to grind/file/polish/machine the raised damage away and run the regular/correct shank-style lug nut and flat washer.

The shank-style lug nut isn't just a Cragar thing. I have run a set of American Racing slotted mags on my vans for about 15 years and they use a shank-style lug nut, too.

Yeah starting to realize about the shank style lugs. Only every seen conical style so I was a bit bewildered for a minute there. The wheels are basically brand new so hopefully me torquing the wrong lug nuts on didn’t damage them at all. I’ll see in the AM.
Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 2:08 pm
Does this look normal? The wheels have a conical seat on the face of the mounting surface. So I’m under the impression I need lug nuts with a shank then a conical surface? Gonna take one of these to a wheel shop and get they’re input.

Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 4:22 pm
The inside diameter of the lug holes is only about 3/8 of an inch. All the shank style lug nuts I’ve seen are over a half an inch. I’m starting to thing the conical nuts are the answer.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 4:31 pm
shank lug nuts are generally used on uni-lug applications, which that one is not. Those look like conical style to me personally but I'm not an expert, just based on that picture and others I've seen similarly.
Posted By: Reed Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 9:23 pm
Yeah, that does look like a regular acorn style lug nut application. My rims definitely use shank lug nuts and there are NOT unilug. 5x5.5.

Ninskrillz- check these out and see if anything looks like what you need: Cragars lug nutson Jegs
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 10:29 pm
My wheel is a new model those are old 5x5 bolt pattern with a cut seat, I really think these lugs are the ticket.

Attached picture 20190916_172428.jpg
Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 16th 2019 11:24 pm
Yeah, that does look like a regular acorn style lug nut application. My rims definitely use shank lug nuts and there are NOT unilug. 5x5.5.

Ninskrillz- check these out and see if anything looks like what you need: Cragars lug nutson Jegs

Yeah been all over that site lookin - shank diameter is too big on all of them. The lowest I saw was .6” and my holes are 3/8”. I’m thinking it’s definitely conical acorn styleee.

Originally Posted by Astrocreep66
My wheel is a new model those are old 5x5 bolt pattern with a cut seat, I really think these lugs are the ticket.

The shank on your lugs look way big for my application. I don’t think a shank type was intended for my wheels.
Posted By: Reed Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 17th 2019 12:03 am
Are the lug nut seats on your rims tapered or are the seats 90 degree to the shaft? That really should answer your question. Tapered seats = acorn lug nuts, 90 degree = shank and washer.
Posted By: Ninskrillz Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 17th 2019 2:24 am
Are the lug nut seats on your rims tapered or are the seats 90 degree to the shaft? That really should answer your question. Tapered seats = acorn lug nuts, 90 degree = shank and washer.

Nah they have the taper for acorns.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: New wheels old lug nuts? - September 17th 2019 11:41 am
Haven't seen cragar s/s cut like that..but cool if they are.
© Vannin' Community and Forums