Vannin' Home
Posted By: Ether Help determine my rim width - April 13th 2018 3:31 pm
Hey guys, so I just picked up a set of American Racing turbines for my 77 dodge off a guy on craigslist for a great deal. I know for sure they are 14 inch with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. The problem I’m facing how ever is determining the rim width. Right off the bat I can tell two of them are wider than the others. They have some pretty beat up old Polyglas tires on them. And I’m hoping some one here can help me determine the rim width and some radial tire suggestions. I’d rather not go somewhere to remove the tire just to see he width before I start tire shopping.

One set of tires read H78-14 and the other set read H70-14. Any help would be much appreciated, I’m having a hard time understanding the conversion charts and I’ve found online.
Posted By: OVANNER Re: Help determine my rim width - April 13th 2018 6:34 pm
You have to measure the width of the rim which is hard to do with a tire on them. Let out the air in the tires, lay it flat on the ground put weight on it so the rim hits the ground and measure through the center hole. It will give you a close measurement
Posted By: Reed Re: Help determine my rim width - April 13th 2018 8:24 pm
There is a tool that any tire shop should have that is a caliper that measures the rim width.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Balancer-Caliper-Measurement-Measuring-8309011/dp/B01M4FT4UH

You should be able to take the rims to a tire shop and ask them to measure the rims and tell you the measurement. Make like you are shopping for tires, but don't buy any.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Help determine my rim width - April 13th 2018 11:10 pm
I've never owned a Dodge, wasn't aware that 14" wheels was large enough for a Dodge van. shocked

Get a friend to hold a couple of paint sticks, or something similar, across the rim on both sides and measure between them. That'll let you see you back-space as well.
Posted By: Ether Re: Help determine my rim width - April 16th 2018 5:44 pm
took the lazy way and went to a local tire shop in the neighborhood and had them pulled and tossed for 16 bucks. turns out they were 8 inches if anyone else was curious.
Posted By: Ether Re: Help determine my rim width - April 17th 2018 12:03 am
After reading more about preferred tire sizes, I’m seein that almost no one has ran 14x8 inch rims on a mid era dodge and almost exclusively go for 15. Am I stepping into unknown territory or will these just flat out not work. Any heads up before I get them fitted with rubber would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Ghetto Rat Re: Help determine my rim width - April 17th 2018 12:56 am
I'm pretty sure that 14" wheels will not clear the calipers on the front. That's why most have to run 15".
Posted By: CatFish Re: Help determine my rim width - April 17th 2018 2:33 am
Ether, dry fit those fronts without tires before you spend more money.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: Help determine my rim width - April 17th 2018 3:06 pm
I'll tell you right now 14's will NOT WORK. My 15's are so close to the calipers that the stick on wheel weights have to be in a specific place to avoid being scraped off by the caliper.
© Vannin' Community and Forums