Vannin' Home
Posted By: Reed Remove front coil springs 75-91 E-150 - March 07th 2018 10:57 pm
I believe the front coil springs on my 89 E150 are worn out (thirty years of hard use is a good long life for springs) and I want to replace them. I am always leery of coil springs and the coil spring compressors I have used. Is there a safer/easier way to remove the coil springs? Like, can I remove the brake caliper, secure it out of the way, unbolt the radius arm, then just jack the van up by the frame and let the I beam dangle until the spring just falls out? Anybody else have a suggested method of removal? Thanks.

Posted By: nikothenomad Re: Remove front coil springs 75-91 E-150 - March 08th 2018 1:40 am
Hey, i used the coil spring compressor that they load at oreilly's and it worked very well. I was initially quite freaked out but it went off rather easily and without any problems. actually one of the easier things i've done.
Posted By: Reed Re: Remove front coil springs 75-91 E-150 - March 08th 2018 1:47 am
Thanks, Niko. I have done coil springs before on cars with Macpherson struts, and I was always nervous because it just seemed like the spring compressor was too weak to hold the spring. Maybe a van will be different.

Coil springs are cheap! $70 for a pair instead of $400 for a pair like the leaf springs were.
Posted By: Bluefish Re: Remove front coil springs 75-91 E-150 - April 09th 2018 1:39 am
On all the ones I have ever done I just pull the retainer clip at the top and jack the frame up to pull all the weight off the axles. Usually fall right out.
Posted By: Reed Re: Remove front coil springs 75-91 E-150 - April 09th 2018 3:17 am
Cool, thanks. I might get to it this week, but my work schedule will be the determining factor.
© Vannin' Community and Forums