Vannin' Home
Here is the proposal:

Beings that the National Truckin is the Premier Event for Vanning and the Nationals Show-n-Shine is suppose to be the Best of the Best in Vanning, should we allow primered, unfinished Vans in the Premier show?
Are our vans ever finished?
Do you give them an unfinished trophy?,lol. I voted.
Brad
Allowing this class would encourage people with not quite show ready vans to participate...even if there was only a first through 5th place for all UC, regardless of make.

This will also give those wanting to do stuff to their vans, a chance to see what steps are taken to build them up... smile
I think it goes against the very nature of vanning to not allow under construction vans into the show. Vans are all about building something that is your very own and putting your van out there to show other vanners what you are up to and to trade ideas, even at the best of the best show of the year is what it's all about, or at least thats the impression I have received.
io didnt see anything about awards in the question
The under construction class is at the discretion of the hosts. If they want to give more than one award, GREAT! With the current flurry of activity and new vanners arriving on the scene at every event, we would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we denied someone the right to show their van. When you pay your gate fee, you are eligible to participate in all the activities of the event. If we tell someone they can't show, why should they pay full price? If they are building their van and want to show off their work, why not?
Several times recently, we have strongly suggested to the hosts that they award a construction trophy to a deserving vanner.
Encouraging vanners to build custom vans is important to the future of vanning. Not everyone wants to put their unfinished van on display but for those willing they will likely get some good pointers from others on how to go about finishing them and inspire others to finish their long term projects or start their own.
Having all the unfinished vans in the same area would be good and having this group of vans going for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd award might be a good idea.
Great comments. Keep them coming.
Originally Posted by Virtual
Encouraging vanners to build custom vans is important to the future of vanning. Not everyone wants to put their unfinished van on display but for those willing they will likely get some good pointers from others on how to go about finishing them and inspire others to finish their long term projects or start their own.
Having all the unfinished vans in the same area would be good and having this group of vans going for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd award might be a good idea.

yeah
Originally Posted by matchstickBGV
I think it goes against the very nature of vanning to not allow under construction vans into the show. Vans are all about building something that is your very own and putting your van out there to show other vanners what you are up to and to trade ideas, even at the best of the best show of the year is what it's all about, or at least thats the impression I have received.

yeah I have always seen unfinished van's in the show's, not sure where this even came about?
For those unfinished showing at the nats, keep in mind that would count you out of contention for the "Golden Eagle" award when you do finally finish. At least I would guess that award would not be for an unfinished van. Just a thought.
I've always been under construction with my rides. Get so far on a van, get bored, buy another. lol
Same here Jim lol
The Flying Eagle is for the best van never before shown at a Nationals. In theory it could go to an unfinished van. If it was shown before, it must be unrecognizeable from the other time. Donny Noone had never shown His Pirates van, but it was shown with the exact interior and a different exterior by the previous owner, making him ineligible. Don even had the Truckin' magazine there in his display. I don't think showing a van under construction, and then showing the finished project would disqualify you. Coop and I will discuss it.
Originally Posted by on the road
The Flying Eagle is for the best van never before shown at a Nationals. In theory it could go to an unfinished van. If it was shown before, it must be unrecognizable from the other time. I don't think showing a van under construction, and then showing the finished project would disqualify you. Coop and I will discuss it.

With all due respect Howard, It seems like a bit of contradiction there. Unrecognizable doesn't make it a different van.

Let me put a smiley face smile or a HA HA so the inflection in my response is taken like we're chillin' out at camp with a cold one. LOL
Jimmy has a valid point. When we started the Flying Eagle award it was started on the notion that to win this award it must have never shown before at a Nationals. If these guys who are underconstruction show then that would disqualify them from winning the award in my opinion.
Exactly!
I had shown at the nats in 2000 in primer, radical class, and I took 2nd place mid chevy , I cannot even tell you how great that feeling is. The nats have been the same way for many years, Why change it ? ....... Just my opinion.
hmmmmm...food for thought...thanks...keep the input coming...
When I first started my van I was'nt goimng to show at any events, did'nt think you could do that, but everyone in my club told me I should, go fot it they said, just do it, everyones gonna love it, so what the heck, I did, still had body work to do, in primer, but the responces were great, lots of questions on whats it going to like when I'm done, how did you do that, how'd you mold that and so on, it blew me away, then I got my first trophy for under construction, that was so kool, never got a trophy in my life for anything. Now I show just for the fun and pride of the work I've done over the years and everyone keeps coming back to look at it with lots of questions and great comments about it, trophy or not, people like my van. Go for it guys with vans under construction, I myself love to see them, watch the progress of your vans till there done, I'll be looking for them.
Well, I voted yes above, because, like some others have said. My van would still not have been shown because it has primer on it. So does Metalstorm, and so does a lot of really nice vans. The blue Chevy from out west with the lambo doors, doesn't have a completed interior, etc. etc.

I also don't think that an under construction class is necessary. I've been showing my van while under construction for a while. I show it in it's class and that's it. If I win something GREAT, if not I go home thinking, man I got to get some stuff done on my van.

If I could just stick it in an Under Construction class, maybe I wouldn't care if I ever got it done.
Here's a question why finish it, if there is a under construction class.

I agree it belongs there, but there should be some noticable progress from year to year.

Originally Posted by Superbeast
The blue Chevy from out west with the lambo doors, doesn't have a completed interior, etc. etc.

That is the van "The Palace" owned by Paradise, from Illinois. I dont think he will ever finish his van because he keeps getting "Under Construction" trophies. rofl (That is a little side joke between Paradise and myself).
I was extremely surprised to find my name called for "Best Under Construction" when they did. I wouldn't expect Natural to ever qualify for the Golden Eagle award because of it. Hopefully I will have enough done to not recognize it as the same van the next time we get to go, but it is still Natural...
Having this award go to one person instead of a class, IMHO, gives a greater sense of accomplishment than a class trophy would and shouldn't be the goal, but the encouragement along the way....
I loved showing mine off and everyday when I drive it, everywhere I park, it is shown as it were in the show-n-shine for teh public to see. Still looking for the "Best Under Construction" comments from the general public in a town full of Street Rodders....
Just my opinion for whatever it's worth...
Why don't you do the Eagle award the same way the Mustang Club of America does it.You can win as many trophies as you can all the way up to the number one award.I think it's the Grand National.After that your car(or van)won't be eligible for any awards for the next 2-5 years.
The Flying Eagle is for a van that has never been shown at a Nationals before. Obviously. it can only be won once by the same van. Best of show can be won twice, then the van goes into the "Best of the Best" competition, against other multiple winners.

I don't think we ever had an "under construction" class. The award has been given, as Natural stated, as an overall award, juust like best interior or whatever, to the van that stands out as special in its unfinished state. Smaller events do different things. And I don't think this thread was about a class, just asking about unfinished vans in the show.
© Vannin' Community and Forums