Vannin' Home
Posted By: Wackovanner Teen Vanners - August 26th 2009 11:37 pm
What are we going to do with them I ask?
Four years ago I went on a crusade to give the teens more of a break especially when it came late night time. I made suggestions of later nite dances and such and I thought this would catch on and the teens would like this. What I got was a slap in the face from them. Seems that they are into communications with their friends then taking advantage of late nite dances. Case in point was this year at the Nationals. Four years ago the teens were crying when the dance was shut down at ten. This year the dance lasted until midnite and instead of dancing all they did was text thier friends or text each other sitting right next to each other. I felt sorry for the music guy but as he put it, " I'm getting paid."
Well what should we do? What can we do? I guess there is no way to make these kids happy. Maybe NY will have some kind of idea. If they cannot get these teens out to enjoy events set up for them I don't know if we should go out of our way for them after that.
What do you think?
I would really like to hear from the Teens on this. Step up and let us hear it.

Thanks

Wacko
National Truckin Board
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - August 26th 2009 11:52 pm
ya know, I think thats thing with teenagers, don't try to please them, they want to figure it out themselves. I'm not sure if there are a lot of teen vanners on vanning.com, again another problem. How can they get on and say what they want if they aren't on here?

Maybe they don't even enjoy coming to truck-ins and want to stay home and be away from mom and dad for a while. I'm not sure how you could remedy this.

I think the only way to get them excited is to involve them in something other than kids games. at that age it's time to start making the transition from vanner's sons and daughters to being vanners themselves, but in something like vanning where staying up late involves drinking and partying how does one let their kid do that? It's all up to discretion. hmmm maybe a more concerted effort to involve the teenagers above 15 in the adult games throughout the day, start weening them into being adults... hmm I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm trying to think what I wanted at that age. I think I just wanted to be left alone.lol.

scott the president of our club lets his kids stay up with us later, but after a while puts them to bed but none the less they hang out with the whole club out by the band for a while, they see us drinking and what not sure, but what they also see is us interacting with good friends and having fun as a family oriented group not just getting trashed. Scotts son turned 16 and will be driving soon and I think at that point we vote him into the club, as a member, not just one of the kids. It's up to discretion. what I'm talking about kind of covers 16 years up, on the 13 - 15 crowd, man, thats hard. sorry paul if this is rambling just trying to bring up some points.

I like the dance idea but like you said paul if they're just on their phones they don't care and it's not worth it.

Posted By: GreyBeardsGhost Re: Teen Vanners - August 26th 2009 11:54 pm
I to would like to hear what the teens have to say.

My initial thought is to let them(with their parents OK) be vanners. I gave up trying to figure out my kids long ago. Youngest is 22 and if she wasn't busy raising a family she'd be driving the van and making truckins with me. Her big brothers prefer to not even ride in a van. Go figure
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:24 am
Maybe a survey geared to them may be best.....Giving them what they say they wanted last year, is probably lame to them this year.....

May have to have them do the survey in text however, so they actually want to look at it.....

Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:24 am
I'm 15, being 16 in November and I really don't hang out or interact with the others at events. I hang out with adults and such. I did happen to notice alot of the teens sitting on the bleachers at the nats. I think that they go there just to be there and to hang out with there friends. I would consider it more of a hangout then a dance. Whenever I am at a truckin I walk around with a friend of mine in my club Derick. We check out the vans and such. I know it sounds wierd coming from my mouth but alot of the teens are not supervised enough. Me walking around notice alot of things that go on at truckins that the adults don't notice. I obviously know what the teens are doing being one myself. I don't participate in that crowd at events. I just see what goes on, and keep it to myself and just say "atleast I am not in there shoes".

Mike
Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:30 am
Interesting observations, Mike...Any more ideas, let us know...
Posted By: GreyBeardsGhost Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:33 am
Great feedback Mike! Any suggestions on what we can do to make it more enjoyable for you? I'm hoping you'll be hosting a truckin I go to someday and will do what I can to keep you in the game.

Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:37 am
I think a good way is since the teens are with the club, and alot of them by now attend the clubs meetings and such (I go with my parents to our club meetings). It would be good to send out a flyer to the clubs and have it directed to the teens of the clubs. Have them write down there ideas and such, make a small pole on the flyer and have it sent back in.

Mike
Posted By: Snotty Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:40 am
Originally Posted by GreyBeardsGhost
I to would like to hear what the teens have to say.

My initial thought is to let them(with their parents OK) be vanners. I gave up trying to figure out my kids long ago. Youngest is 22 and if she wasn't busy raising a family she'd be driving the van and making truckins with me. Her big brothers prefer to not even ride in a van. Go figure

O My! I didnt know they let you reproduce greybeardless! rofl just kiddin buddy!!! angel
Posted By: GreyBeardsGhost Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:41 am
That's good input too Dave, I think the clubs play a large part in the involvement of the younger vanners.
Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:43 am
I'll ask my friends in the club when I see them about what they want/think or any ideas they have.
Posted By: GreyBeardsGhost Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:46 am
They quit letting me 22 years ago snotty LOL. The world has been a safer place every since. BTW, the boys have beards, go figure again.
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 11:11 am
Sad to hear about the text messaging at the dance. I think text messaging is almost purely a corporate marketing ploy to make more revenue from limited bandwidth. Unfortunately, they've found a willing resource to tap into in the form of teens who want to communicate without being overheard.

Text messaging was already done and discarded by some of their parents from before the 80's to at least as late as the 90s over military communications links... that knowledge alone would be enough to disgust some teens and make it totally uncool... for several seconds. Hard to keep sheep away from water. At least we had more than just text messages; in addition to the endless streams of bad jokes and sheer drivel, there were week long text-based games of War or Startrek... Been there. Wore it out fast. Ain't going back. Out in my garage I still have one of the alphanumeric character Playboy centerfolds we cooked up and sent all over the world on New Year's. I wish I could have all that time I spent on such worthless things back! Other than for the few occasions where a private message is really in order, text messaging is mostly a ghastly waste of time when flat rate voice is now readily available.

Events for teens are fine if *they* ask for them... I don't think it's worthwhile for well-meaning adults to plan a teen social event and expect them to enjoy it though. The anti-social trend I observed beginning in the early 80's continues to escalate unabated. Basically, if teens *want* to get together they will. Might be best for concerned adults who really want to do something to just set up and provision a separate teens-only area so they can work things out by themselves without feeling like they're being closely monitored.

To me the makings of a successful teen event with a captive audience of unrelated teens would be to set up a large somewhat private area with scattered and well separated sitting and standing sections, provide a few music-triggered lights, or a bonfire, music they can select (A DJ might be somewhat redundant other than for his sound system) and a variety of things to eat and drink and then retreat to a respectable distance. Teens only; remember? This would make *them* the event, more than the dance. If you think back on it, in hindsight you might agree that's how things used to work at parties you enjoyed when you grew up. People still matter more at an event than place. But since people *do* matter more, and those people that matter most to an attendee might be in another city at the other end of a text message link, don't expect this event to necessarily be much more than a well-stocked internet lounge.

A somewhat educational live case - My son talked me into taking out some of my PA & lighting equipment and running sound for his band and others several times within the last few years. The bands knew I was a wildman when I was young, so they mostly ignored me and did their thing as they saw fit. I liked several of the young bands quite a bit; one was even fairly brilliant, and unquestionably bound for success. But even from a soundman's perspective, I found working with the generally unresponsive teen audience to be just as tedious as the teens would likely have found it trying to find something to enjoy from the average DJ.

You just can't lump teens together - way too many different tastes, especially when they come from different locales. Having multiple bands was good; there was something for everyone, from rock to EMO to metal, the Mods, Goths and Metalheads all had their day, but the audiences of several hundreds were spread out too thin to gain much momentum. And the teen audiences were *far* too busy watching themselves being watched to dare be enthusiastic. -And I even kept the lighting minimized, mostly focused pretty tightly on the bands, so the atmosphere wouldn't feel so stark. "With the lights out its less dangerous..."

The sole exception to this notable lack of audience enthusiasm was if a band would begin jumping in the air, (ala Pete Townsend of the Who) many of the audience near the front would take that as a cue to join in. That led to a short burst of some interesting non-verbal activity, and lots more gesturing and gawking from the rear. No dancing though, even when dance songs came up.

It's pretty safe to draw some parallels from this - I think a teen "dance" on such a small scale as at an eVant would seldom play out as it's organizers envision... it takes a pretty large critical mass of like minded teens to get things moving anymore, without there being massive intoxication. Probably best to provide some resources and let the teens invent themselves and their own event.

Sort of how an eVant works...

Clear skies!
Posted By: Lil_Ed Re: Teen Vanners - August 27th 2009 12:19 pm
Well I know at our eVANt 'everyone' is able to participate in Friday night games together, we do have kids games and the adult games are for those 15 and over. We no longer do an adult show at night and there still is a curfew of 10 but that is usually at the parents discretion. I also think that anything you do to try to please the teenage crowd will make it seem like they are being forced to do things. I believe in letting them find there own way but you can guide them in one direction. There comes a certain time when you want to seperate from your parents while at the same time be included. Finding the common ground isnt only a problem in vanning it is a problem in society itself.

There is an old saying you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. The same goes here, we can only lead them in a direction it is up to them to follow.

I also believe in letting them tells us what they want, It might lead to some great idea's, but also may be some bad ones.

Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - August 28th 2009 12:07 am
Interesting input...I have seen exactly what Ram was talking about at the fests I attend, and years ago when the bar had all ages shows... Looking forward to hearing more thoughts...from all age groups!
Posted By: josh_performanceinc Re: Teen Vanners - August 28th 2009 1:12 am
I don't know guys.... I'm sort of between these two groups of original vanners and todays teens. (Though closer to the originals.) I do remember our dances at high school, and trust me... we mostly stood around the outside talking and not dancing too. So it did not surprise me to hear that the DJ/Dances have been that very thing.

So given that.... while it may seem that the kids were not enjoying the dance, they may actually HAVE been. I remember that's how our high school dances functioned (maybe more DYSfunction than function)... as a place to hang out and around other teens. However, knowing everything as we did, we were obviously "too cool" to dance. Buuuut there were always a few instances of some "moshing", or a bunch of girls now and again that danced and talked at the same time. Oh, and maybe an unlucky fell who would attempting to try out their slow dancing skills (to maybe get a little female sumthin), but mostly wound up being ridden hard by their "cool" freinds for it.

So these days it happens that texting is cool for whatever the reason... so it would seem natural they occupied their time with it. You may even find groups breaking off to go "goof off" behind the barns, or dumpster for a smoke, or whatever their little thing is. And they usually come back after awhile to see if anything decent may have developed.

But I think basically the dance gets them together and serves as common ground where they can decide which group of other kids they'd like to hang with (or not) at that moment. Kind of like an "excuse" to gather. And I've seen them just naturally gather outside the kitchen at Keystone as a "home base" sometimes too when there is no dance.

Well, that's about all I remember from dances. And seems from what Mike says some of it hasn't changed TOO much. And in the end I don't think we'll EVER get them to level with us about what they want. That would mean they'd be consorting with the enemy. lol
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - August 28th 2009 2:45 pm
My 17 year old nephew told me something about the dance at the Nats that may make a bit of sense here--he said that the dance wasn't just teenagers this year. It seems the teens felt more like babysitters there as several 'even younger' Vanners were in attendance at the dance without parental supervision. Now, I don't know what the age range was for the dance, but we do have to remember that if we are trying to please one age area, we don't want to offend them by sneaking in a 'seems like work' thing. For those parents that dropped off, or didn't know the whereabouts of your younger Vanner--that is your responsibility, unless you made prior arrangements with someone to care for them.

Just a thought--
Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 10:38 am
Seems like the place being available is a good idea. It's frustrating to provide that space and the sound, whether DJ or band, and have nobody there, or seemingly obody paying attention. Conversely, it's frustrating to hire a band at the "big stage" and have a small crowd, but it has been happening more regularly lately, it seems. I think as we get older, we are more concerned about the drive home on the next day, so may not party quite so late on the last night. Also, as our campsites have evolved more into homes, we tend to stay closer to home visiting with friends, rather than drag the coolers and chairs to the stage. Sorry, I drifted off topic. At smaller events, the teens manage without a seperate dance, but I think at the Nats, there needs to be a spot, due to the sheer numbers...
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 1:09 pm
perhaps provide them with a stereo and an 1/8 inch cable for a hooking up an ipod and let them dj for themselves. Kids are going to listen to suggestive music that parents don't like no matter what. Just let them jam what they want and set their own mood to the room.

My own take on bands: I've played in bands for years, and toured up and down the east coast doing it. We write our own music, and the bands we play with do the same, so cover bands don't really catch my interest, for everyone else I'm sure it's cool but if you look back at big truck-ins, they used to have people play that were orginial artists like John Prine, Hank Jr., Taj mahal, granted those artists are huge but today you would never see an a band at an evant that plays a whole original set. obviously there are a lot of niche bands out there so it's a hard bill to fill when going with an original band but it could be done. At smaller events, I'd rather see a DJ on the second night, or play vanning trivia or some lengthy kind of game. I think you're right about the drive home howard, I don't party so hard saturday night so I don't have to drive home with a hangover.
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 1:26 pm
I checked with my 15 year old niece yesterday...... She says she has changed her hair style, her clothes, her taste in music and her future goals every year for 4 years...

Not being a parent myself, never mind a vanner, I would have no idea how to hit a moving target like that as an eVANt planner.....

The only thing I can think of is that a couple months before every Natz, we get a survey out there ( from the Pre Reg list ?? }on WHAT THEY WANT to see as a diversion and go from there. Hopefully we would target the Teens we know are coming ......

That may give a better shot at the target each year.....
Posted By: Ford77 Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 2:53 pm
im 18 but i dont realy think of my self as a teen i drive my own van to runs and hang out with 20 and 30 year olds but for the younger kids i would consider game zone of some sort such as pool , air hockey , basketball xbox 360 gutair hero or something along those lines just my 2 %
Posted By: Virtual Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 3:03 pm
As always discussion is very good. Ford77 might have some ideas headed in the right direction. We really need to keep trying to figure out what the kids want. The minute we give up and quit trying and they see that, then their interest in going to van runs will disolve and their parents may be forced to stay home. I have two daughters who enjoyed going to the local van runs until they got to a certain age, vanning is not for everyone and you can't force the kids to like it. Fortunately I have been able to go to van runs on my own and make it up to the family for being away.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 4:18 pm
yes we need them
Posted By: NateB Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 4:55 pm
Maybe the Nats host club can put something up on their website that teens can go to vote on or perhaps suggest something themselves. Majority wins.
Posted By: josh_performanceinc Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 7:51 pm
Originally Posted by Nate the skate
Maybe the Nats host club can put something up on their website that teens can go to vote on or perhaps suggest something themselves. Majority wins.

yeah sounds good to me. Buuuuuut, I'm not a teen. Maybe ask a teen how they'd like to register a vote.

Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 8:31 pm
Just another thought I had while discussing the Natz Teen's barn with Rollie and Jewels...... Maybe the DJ should be closer in age as possible to the teens ?? Otherwise, the IPOD hookup that Matchstick suggested so they could program may be a better way so they can program their own music.

Once we stimulate their creative juices who knows what will happen ?
Posted By: josh_performanceinc Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 9:41 pm
Wow, that's a pretty good idea doc. Do we know anyone young that would do that?

Could even go as far as to establish like an "all teen hangout". Dedicate a building, or a room somewhere. They could come and go ANY time. Maybe rent a pinball or put a x-box or whatever the craze is. Somewhere for just them to go. Pick up a couple junk couches and a piece of carpet. Put a fridge and a microwave in there.

I think what would be key is that if it were set up and manned solely by host club teens (and possibly other vanteen recruits). Then at night have one of them "spin" the tunes.

I remember in my teens we hung out in my neighbor's basement listening to the radio, playing nintendo, eating big bags of candy, tastycakes and microwave popcorn, looking at his stepdad's hustlers that we swiped, and practicing our slapshots with street hockey balls into the closet from across the room. Ahh... them were the days. From the time we woke up on the weekend or got off the bus on a weekday... until suppertime (or later...) that's what we considered fun.

Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 10:14 pm
Now we are getting somewhere, a place they can hang without parents, and their out dated influences

and every year difference, is a different thing with them as well smile
Posted By: vince Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 10:54 pm
ok question;;

I know I did not attend the nats nor did I see how the teens dissed the music for texting.. interesting though.. my question is.. what kind of music was being played? what bands what songs?

Vince
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 11:26 pm
Originally Posted by joshvan
Wow, that's a pretty good idea doc. Do we know anyone young that would do that?

Well, not me........but others surely can smile
Posted By: Wackovanner Re: Teen Vanners - August 29th 2009 11:26 pm
It was music that they normally listen too. Hip hop, Rap, and misc.mixes. It was mostly all of the stuff that some Vanners don't care for. I personally like it. Maybe that is why I get along with them and they come and talk to me and give me their idea's.
Posted By: vince Re: Teen Vanners - August 30th 2009 12:22 am
ahh ok ok... I was half expecting to hear they were subjected to sweet home alabama .. and hotel california.. ok wow that is intereting. so even listining to the music they usually listen to ... and they still were not getting into it.. Was the dance area lit up like a football stadium? They tend to not like to dance with each other when all the lights are bright. party lights, that move and and such with a fog machine usually gets the lighting down to a good level. Hmm scratchin my head on that one.

vince
Posted By: Wackovanner Re: Teen Vanners - August 30th 2009 12:35 am
The DJ supplied his own lighting system. He was a professional and knew what he was doing. It is a shame that they didn't take advantage of what they had.
Like I said, I am not ready to give up on them yet and some suggestions have been eye openers. However if they continue down the path that they are digging someday they will see just what they did and complain again but the next time it will fall on deaf ears I am afraid.
Posted By: swimmster Re: Teen Vanners - August 30th 2009 4:05 am
i was reading all this and since i have a 14 yr old who i'd like to get involved in this, i was thinking, since there's many scheduled off site events for the adults, like there was a brewery tour, etc.. how about something off site for the teens? unfortunately, i don't have alot of ideas at the moment on what exactly to do, perhaps a trip to the paintball field, take the young ladies to the mall? dunno how much of this stuff will be around this next nationals setting.. I know when i was a teen, and having a teen child, they do not want to have their freedoms encroached on. and parents, even if they are on the sidelines, are a total mood killer. so whoever takes them should not be a parent at all. just the "bus driver".. not every kid thinks their parents are cool.. and more than not, the more you TRY to be cool, the farther from cool you become in their eyes. just think about when ou were that age.. You wouldn't do crap around your parents because if you did it in any way slightly out of whack from the way they did it, you'd get a bunch of crap over it.. Kids just want to do it their own way. figure it out for themselves. SO i think if you get in touch with as many of the teens as possible and tell them THEY are in charge of figuring out what the events will hold in store for them, it may work out better.. see about cutting a deal with the local movie theater for one night to get a bunch of discount tickets or something, then take em all to an agreed upon movie or split them up over 2, or something.. one of these days soon, i will get together with the kid and see what he has to say.. also, VARIETY.. perhaps combine ALL this stuff.. have it all.. the Xbox section, the pool, the misc, the field trips, etc etc..
Posted By: josh_performanceinc Re: Teen Vanners - August 30th 2009 6:41 pm
When I was in my teens, I went to the brewery tours with my Grandpop. I loved the tours... and Pop loved the tasting room. lol I was interested in beer then... and I seem to recall seeing teens on the Yuengling tour when we held it at the 33rd nats.

But you're right... a day trip for them exclusively might be something they'd be interested in. Once again, run by host teens of course.

And you did make another good, (i think VERY valid) point. The more adults try to "help" the more uncool they are. Just plant the bug in a nonchalant way and don't mention it again. If they're gonna do it they will. Don't try to sell it too hard. Leave it up to the teens to flesh it out. A cleverly disguised little "suggestion" to get them motivated in the beginning i think might be necessary though. But it's got to be their idea, or it will just be perceived as "forced" on them, and that will naturally draw resistance and resentment.

Posted By: josh_performanceinc Re: Teen Vanners - August 30th 2009 6:42 pm
(((((Oh gawd I'm starting to sound like an adult. Help!)))))

cry

Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - August 31st 2009 11:53 am
yeah you are! lol
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: Teen Vanners - August 31st 2009 12:07 pm
(((((Oh gawd I'm starting to sound like an adult. Help!)))))

cry

like that's a bad thing rolleyes
Posted By: vanatic05 Re: Teen Vanners - August 31st 2009 12:22 pm
Not sure how many of you remember what we did for the teens in Altamont we had the van painting where they used washable paint and painted an Astro, we had a DJ for 3 nights, we also had a guitar hero contest as well so there are things you can do to letting them participate in things they may like to do..just my thoughts..
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - August 31st 2009 6:47 pm
there are some very good ideas here, but I think this statement sums it up the best.

Originally Posted by Lil_Ed
There comes a certain time when you want to separate from your parents while at the same time be included. Finding the common ground isn't only a problem in vanning it is a problem in society itself.

Right now our girls (9 and 11) not teens yet, but act like it, and they love to go to runs with us. Even when they know there will be no friends their age (Vanfest for instance) but when we go to any event (not eVANt) we make sure they have something for them ourselves. We make sure that they bring things to occupy themselves, and they usually just hang with their friends when they are there and do what they want. We allow them to have their freedom (to an extent) and we hope for the best. We do try and keep tabs on them tho. We make sure they tell us exactly where they are going and that they are to go nowhere else without checking in first.

I realize teens are different, so are adults, but I always felt that the teens will find their own amusement, but should still be supervised by their OWN parents. When we take our girls to any runs we make sure they are nearby and I realize they will want more freedom later on, but their are rules that need to be followed, not only by the hosts but by US. Fortunately for us, our girls know that we know most vanners wherever we go and someone will always look out for them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that kids will be kids (at any age) and it all starts at HOME.
Posted By: swimmster Re: Teen Vanners - September 01st 2009 11:06 pm
if you;re goin to keystone, you can your girls to our girl who is also 10. she makes friends quickly..
Posted By: mugsy Re: Teen Vanners - September 02nd 2009 12:20 am
well as someone who plays teen gigs quite a bit, I'm here to tell ya that kids just want to find thier own way. typically school dances are still just as josh describes..times may have changed ...but so have we as adults....our parents didn't know how to please us either. teen dances kinda go in waves... some kids will dance, some won't it's hard work playing for a group whose attention span is measured in seconds, but the challenge is what i love. it doesn't bother me when i see kids talking and txting while i'm playing music ...this is their world, not mine. if the teens really didn't like the dance, they would have found something else to do. the fact that they stayed there is telling that they apparently liked the atmosphere and chose to stay. as for activities...ask them...that's how i find the music that they like, i ask them. host clubs; ask your teens what is popular at the time, then ask them to organize that activity at your next evant. gotta feeling it'll be a winner
Posted By: RNH Re: Teen Vanners - September 02nd 2009 2:59 am
ok these are all very good i deas and some make great sense. im 18 and just out of high school and being a teen my self the idea of multipule stations is a great idea so things dont get dull and each station idea here is good dance floor video games all fun mabye costumes? and contests. the lighting facter of a dance floor has a huge impact on if it gets used or not and most teens dont want to dance in bright lite cuz well it just makes it feel like parents or who ever want to watch them witch will effect behavior and levels of interest. us teens hate to have the were wantching you feeling from parents no matter what the situation. this sead im not saying let everyone run wild so an adult cordinater would be grate so teens can work with the cordinater on what to do not just have them do it cuz it might not get done then just my thoughts
Posted By: vannerbabe Re: Teen Vanners - September 02nd 2009 6:34 am
Originally Posted by vanatic05
Not sure how many of you remember what we did for the teens in Altamont we had the van painting where they used washable paint and painted an Astro, we had a DJ for 3 nights, we also had a guitar hero contest as well so there are things you can do to letting them participate in things they may like to do..just my thoughts..

well the teen dances in altmont never happened they were on the bible but when they showed up for each one they were told it was a misprint. They were promised the kids would have a dance for sat. However the lengthy trophy ceremony tied up the dj's so when it came down to it they got like one hour sat night for a dance and that was way after kid curfew. The young people need advocates, we're too busy with our old people stuff, and someone to plan things they like. I know Courtney and Dave were chosen for this I think they are good representatives of the younger vaners.
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - September 02nd 2009 3:21 pm
Originally Posted by swimmster
if you;re goin to keystone, you can your girls to our girl who is also 10. she makes friends quickly..

We'll be there with our girls right on vendors row by the bathrooms. Bring your by, ours make friends easily too. At Keystone we usually have around a dozen kids floating around us. They (mostly) get along great together. We'll see you there!
Posted By: Snotty Re: Teen Vanners - September 02nd 2009 4:30 pm
Swimmster, tell your daughter to drink all of Ken's Mt.Dew too! angel lol <inside joke>
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - September 02nd 2009 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by Snotty
Swimmster, tell your daughter to drink all of Ken's Mt.Dew too! angel lol <inside joke>

Man, is nothing sacred anymore grin

That could be a really bad thing, especially if I don't have any coffee!
Posted By: josh_performanceinc Re: Teen Vanners - September 02nd 2009 6:53 pm
Ken, I'll hook you up with some DEW if the girls drink it all. No coffee for me. Just good ole DEW! grin
Posted By: Festers_EVIL_child Re: Teen Vanners - September 09th 2009 2:10 am
Originally Posted by Nate the skate

yeah sounds good to me. Buuuuuut, I'm not a teen. Maybe ask a teen how they'd like to register a vote.

I'm still not done reading through all of this;[im at page 2 lol] but as a teen vanner; granted one of the younger ones [for those who dont know me ill be 15 in two months] I think that sending out an email to the parents and the teen vanners would be a good way of getting ideas; because the simple fact is I don't know anyone my age that doesnt check their email atleast twice a day and if they dont reply and dont get what they want at NATS then doesnt that just sucks for them. I know that when I'm hanging out with friends or going to shows alot of us just pair off so the idea of having just a cable to plug our ipods into some speakers would make more sense in alot of ways. I know from experience that being thrown into a group of people my own age is like feeding a bunny to lions. it sucks. O_O the texting thing could have easily been the teens at NATS getting to know each other through that.In ways its easier to text what you mean than say it; I know people my age have lost the art of conversation. I think that it would be a really great idea if you set up just a small section where we have a campfire a "bar" for lack of better words with a variety of drinks and snacks and just let us do our thing. maybe sepertating us out a little more by having any teens under fifteen say going to bed an hour earlier than the teens over?. Just throwing out random ideas.. anways. going to read the rest of this monstrosity..
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - September 09th 2009 2:47 am
ok, so at butler I saw some teens sittin on a bench by the bathroom while the band played. I decided to do a little questioning. Here is how it went.

ME: So what keeps you all entertained this time of night at a truck-in?
TEEN BOY: BEERRRR
ME: Ok so what about you?[asking a teen girl by him]
TEEN GIRL: Marijuna
ME: So you all already smoke and drink at your parties at home don't you?
[both teens nod yes]
ME: how old are you all?
TEEN BOY: I'm 16, and she's 15
ME: anything else that entertains you?
TEEN BOY: bye.
the teens walk off to go do something else and not be bothered by me.

I found it pretty funny, not really a surprise but it's pretty much how I was. I don't think I was into beer at that age, but smokin' yes, so I can understand. Not sure if this helps the discussion just an honest conversation I had with some folks not too much younger than I.

I found it pretty funny.
Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - December 09th 2009 2:27 am
Originally Posted by matchstickBGV
ok, so at butler I saw some teens sittin on a bench by the bathroom while the band played. I decided to do a little questioning. Here is how it went.

[both teens nod yes]

I found it pretty funny, not really a surprise but it's pretty much how I was. I don't think I was into beer at that age, but smokin' yes, so I can understand. Not sure if this helps the discussion just an honest conversation I had with some folks not too much younger than I.

I found it pretty funny.

Lol, funny stuff
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - December 09th 2009 1:10 pm
Me thinks, once your old enuff to drive your own van , they no longer think you are interesting.......welcome to the adult world of being ignored smile
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - December 09th 2009 4:28 pm
What surprises me about this is that Matchstick wasn't that much older than these teenagers when he was inquiring!

We at the 38thVan Nats crew have our teenagers right up in the front of our minds for the Nats next year and hopefully, we will have things they will enjoy. We are actually working with some teenagers to try and get it right!
Posted By: vannerbabe Re: Teen Vanners - December 09th 2009 7:17 pm
Suzie, Like I told you and Jo at Numb I had kinda decided against nats this yr because my kids didnt want to go again and I dont want to go that far away anymore without them. Their main excuse is "there isnt anything to do" but when I went home and told Claire about how you guys are planning things for teens this yr she seemed more interested in going. Now to work on my son the computer game nurd. Any chance there's wifi there. Or does anyone know of a temporary wifi card you can buy that gives you like so many days or hours of wifi service for a fee. I know like sprint and other companies have ones that are a monthly thing but you have to sign a long term agreemant for them and we just want something temporary.
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - December 09th 2009 8:06 pm
Not sure on that yet Tina--
I know we will have hook-ups to get on to here there and that will draw a bit of power.

Tell him it is vacation, you don't go on vacation to do what you can do at home do ya?!?!?! hee hee Kidding there Mom--but we are trying very hard to give them a space with things they might enjoy and also to involve them in a few of the activities that will make them feel more a part of the VAN scene! I think they should give it a try!

And, I can think of a ton of stuff for the kids to do without blinking an eye--I think they all become followers when out of their regular environment.

Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - December 09th 2009 11:47 pm
It seems while 60 year old vanners, and 19 year old vanner's get together just fine, pre vanners measure fun in 6 month of age increments........ Just my view, and from watching 2 nd and 3 rd generation Van Clanner's get away from us frown
Posted By: LostSheep Re: Teen Vanners - December 10th 2009 9:58 pm
Buy, Beg, or Steal a bunch of rattle cans and let them "Tag" some junk vans! smile
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - December 10th 2009 10:41 pm
Except the one I am driving angel They did that with Denny's white Astro with water colour...it was only a car wash away from normal

Besides, the kids would have to avoid the vanner's with torches and wrenches saving parts smile
Posted By: LostSheep Re: Teen Vanners - December 11th 2009 11:07 am
Bad idea.....Eh lol
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - December 11th 2009 3:13 pm
SECURITY!!!

Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - December 11th 2009 3:55 pm
Medical !
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - December 11th 2009 5:54 pm
We really are kidding there kids!

But yes, ideas that involve the young Vanners and of course, the VANs! Also, activities that the older Vanner participate in can easily be re-invented for our younger attendees.

We are always taking suggestions--those from some young Vanners would be GREAT I am sure, as who knows them best, but them! Please PM me or send an e-mail to 38thvanny@vanning.com with any thoughts, ideas, suggestions that we may kick around and possibly make use of at the Nats in NY next year!

http://www.38thvannats.com
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - December 13th 2009 12:29 pm

[both teens nod yes]

I found it pretty funny.

Originally Posted by Suzie-BGfNY-IN
SECURITY!!!

It would even be funnier if the teen's went back to their campsite and said some old guy was trying to sell them stuff ! angel Or pick them up ! especially after the last question you asked before they walked away smile

Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - December 13th 2009 6:21 pm
Tina...what if you "forgot" to pack the video game or laptop cord? Then he would actually (Gasp)have to look out the window or talk to you or read!
Posted By: badboy Re: Teen Vanners - December 14th 2009 8:19 pm
Well my first event was in 96 and I was only 17.. I didnt know what to do until I got to meet more people then I really started having fun!!! I have 2 kids which most of you have met and they both love going to truckins and get pissed off when I dont bring them.. Kids now a days dont get in to games unless its xbox or playstation games!! So for Nats Suzie I feel that we should have a Rockband game.. Im sure there are a few rockband nutts on vanning.com that would help out with this game!!! Kids are going crazy over this game hell even some adults would like it.. I know I love playing it.. But on another note I also Tell my kids to go play games and not sit around being lazy at truckins..
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - December 14th 2009 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!!

It would even be funnier if the teen's went back to their campsite and said some old guy was trying to sell them stuff ! angel Or pick them up ! especially after the last question you asked before they walked away smile

oh no I was trying to pick them up. I just need to work on my lines. lol
Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - December 14th 2009 9:32 pm

oh no I was trying to pick them up. I just need to work on my lines. lol

"Anything else that entertains you?"
Lol thats just funny haha
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - December 15th 2009 2:15 am
Still sounds like a pick up line to me rofl
Posted By: LostSheep Re: Teen Vanners - December 15th 2009 6:57 pm
"HEY GIRLIE.....want some candy?" lol
Posted By: UTAH Re: Teen Vanners - December 15th 2009 7:33 pm
I remember being that young. All i needed was a place to hang out where i could be left alone and a few people i liked to laugh or go do something dumb with.

Here is the thing-we like truck ins because we can let loose and just have fun in our own way. Even at 30 i would have a hard time doing that with my mom keeping an eye on me.

It just a look at the perspective of it. Not that i think they should be allowed to do whatever they want, but the line people put on their kids is not up to me. So how do you let someone enjoy a truck in, but with rules to keep them in line? it just doesn't work. It would kill a truck in for me, but then again i don't want a bunch of wasted 15 year olds rolling around on the ground either.

Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - December 15th 2009 7:42 pm
Some good discussion here everyone--thanks! Even for the giggles too!

Who's got some more?
It was too long ago for me to remember what it was to be a teenager in the world. In my time, we got group of us together, we into one of 'our' spots-the gully, the tracks, the field, with our Boone's, whikey and whatever we were smoking that day, and be happy! Never had much of the leave me alone, but when I was with all my buddies, I guess we were looking for a place to 'be alone!' hee hee

We do want to provide their own 'space' as much as possible--part of the reason we asked a few of the 'teens' to help us out with the whole project--by teenVANNERs for teen VANNERS! so to speak!
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - December 15th 2009 7:51 pm
You know Utah, I was thinking along those same lines....at the Pa Natz they had a building , lites and music...and they seemed to be happy with all that except the music that was being played and who was playing it....

Maybe all we need is a place to hang, a sound system where they can play their own music and a responsible chaperon/disc jockey that is at the most 20 years old........I am pretty sure that anybody 25 and up, unless he/she was a hunk/real babe would be out of place...

Let the kids know a couple simple rules like no alcohol/drugs/smoking etc and they are free to do what they want angel ....The Chaperon is required for safety/security and probably grounds rules and at the end, when they night is over straight back to their sites according to whatever Curfew rules are in force....

I just checked with my 12 and 14 year old nieces.....their taste in music has changed 3 times since the first Christmas list came out lol so how would a DJ keep up ?... I guess the days of the Bay City Rollers, The Osmond's and Jackson 5 or NOTHing days are over smile

And I will keep Santa Tommy away from the building cry

Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - December 15th 2009 8:06 pm

And I will keep Santa Tommy away from the building cry

who will give out candy then?
Posted By: Nightmare Re: Teen Vanners - February 28th 2010 12:41 am
Wellllll I basicly read all 8 pages lol. Now everything here sounds good. I'm just going to type a few things and hopefully it will make sence. ok, So I'm 17, and honnestly I don't like todays music, or video games, or dances (because of the fact that I don't know how to dance lol. and the fact that I'm so shy to ask a girl to dance with me.. hahahaha). And I don't even use my phone when I'm at a vannin, it's pointless and for me it costs to much. A place to hang out would be pretty good depepending on were it was. And the no alcohol/drugs/smoking is fine but honnestly if they want to do any of those they will, and there is no way to stop them. For exaple people smoke drugs rite IN FRONT of my school, literaly on the sidewalk at the "smoking" section so that just shows if they want to they will. I don't like my generation, I'd rather have lived back in the day, it would have ben awesome!

I wont give any sugestions to what should be done for the teens since I'm almost done my teen years (Thank God), and I don't like "today's ways", so I'll just saty out of that. But so far all the ideas seem to be pretty good (in my opignion).

What I will say is me and Mike do walk around A LOT, because it's fun, we get to look at vans and get ideas or just look to see whats out there. But the thing that I do hate is how are parents don't seem to trust us (Well mine seem to not trust me anyway, and I don't car if I say this since they don't OWN A COMPUTER!!!!!! LOL :P ). I don't see why they don't trust us like come on, we are just walking arround... Let me put it this way, I get to saty out/up later at home on a school night then if I'm at a vannin or the Nationals.... Sorry I'm just blabbing... I just want to have fun this summer because it's my "last summer of freedom" before I have many responsibilitys and college and that bs... And the hile point of vannin is having fun with friends and letting loose from are "every day" lives..

Ok I'm done lol.

Another thing that Mike and I enjoy is driving are Radio Controled trucks. it's fun and keeps us out of trouble. Another thing that I find fun is the RC tractor pulls. I've only entered one but I plan on entering it again at Lost in May.

I don't know if anything I said was useful but anyway I done haha.

-Derick
Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - February 28th 2010 1:46 am
Good way of putting it, I wish I grew up in the 80's and you wish you grew up in the 70's haha. Looking at vans is the coolest part, obviously I am not like other teens lol. An average kid's dream vehicle in the 21st century is not a custom van lol, but like 25-30 years ago it was.
Posted By: Nightmare Re: Teen Vanners - February 28th 2010 2:47 am
Originally Posted by Twisted
Good way of putting it, I wish I grew up in the 80's and you wish you grew up in the 70's haha. Looking at vans is the coolest part, obviously I am not like other teens lol. An average kid's dream vehicle in the 21st century is not a custom van lol, but like 25-30 years ago it was.

I actually wish I lived through the 70's but I wish I grew up in the 60's. If I could pick the year I was born in I would say like before the mid 50's. Like I don't know maybe 1952-1954 ish. Got to be the right age to remember the muscle car years, woodstock, and the peak of vannin' .

But ya todays kids dream cars are like lambo's and stuff like that... Give me a nice van and I'll be happy. I'm a vanner, we aren't hard to please: give me a place to park my van, a case of beer (and I don't even like beer that much) and some friends. lol there ya go problem solved!! LMFAO

-Derick
Posted By: Bandvan Re: Teen Vanners - March 15th 2010 5:00 pm
This is an interesting thread. Its good to see that the older generation is concerned with making sure the younger generation has a voice, and a good time. IN THE END, this is the future of the culture. I am not of the "targeted age group" in question, but I share the same concern that if we don't engage younger kids in any form of automotive culture it will cease to exist right before our eyes.

I will preface my next statement with: I have never been to a van run (yet!), I'm 24 I've owed at least one G20 since I was 19. However, I play in a band, in a genre, with a fan base that has to be 75% disengaged teenagers. I can understand the frustration of trying to grab and hold their attention in any capacity.

By reading, It seems the kids that attend these functions are spilt into 2 groups.

For one group it seems to me that you are trying to appease kids that are there, for lack of a better term, "against their will". Most of them have probably come with their parents and do not share the same interest in vans (or automobiles in general) because it's something their parents find cool. Many of them have traveled and are not around their comfortable group of friends. Some of these kids might, eventually, bite into what's going on but for the most part if they aren't into cars by the time they are 13 this isn't going to be something thats going to interest them now or ever. Its awesome that everyone is trying their damnedest to give these kids something to do in the hopes it will spark their interest some day. It really says something positive about the group that expresses so much concern/frustration about making EVERYONE comfortable. But in reality those kids will grow up and find something else that they are passionate about, this is all apart of the "recruitment" process

Then you have the second group that are there cause they love looking at, driving and working on vans. Many of the younger members of the board are into it because a respected family member shared that interest with them early on in their lives. Many grew up around cars and found this as their creative outlet like I did with music and cars when I was younger. Members like Twisted, Nightmare and the young lady building that white early Econo are good representation of that. Just by reading, it doesn't seem like you have a problem keeping this group engaged because they are there for the heart of the event, THE VANS! I think from this group you should pull the concerned members out what ask other forms of entertainment they enjoy, these are the kids you want to cater to. What bands do these kids listen to in their shops/garages/driving. What also inspires them? But when I was a kid and I went to hot rod nationals in 'Cuse every year, I was there for one thing, to be around awesome cars! I didn't need to play carnival games, or extra crap. All my friends that went with me, also loved cars in one form or another. We liked to "party" at the time but that wasn't our purpose for being there.

Sorry for the long post, I too think its BS how kids of my generation and younger show a lack of interest in everything, "its lame", "yeah, whatever" EX: I played a concert last weekend to 100 kids and half of them were texting in the middle of our set. You work really hard to give a group what they want and all you get is a melodramatic reaction (I haven't seen a good aggressive mosh breakout in ages). This is in a place that kids CHOOSE to be! Ill close by saying that if it kills me Im getting out an event this summer in the Northeast in order to meet people face to face, in my age group (and otherwise) that share the same interest. Im sick of being the only person I know that likes working on vans (or cars in general)

Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - March 15th 2010 9:12 pm
Well put buddy. Try and make Lost Memorial day. I'm not sure where in VT you are, but it's not far from the VT border, Also a good place to meet a lot of vanners from here. Also the same place the Nats will be in July.
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - March 16th 2010 1:20 am
Originally Posted by Nightmare
If I could pick the year I was born in I would say like before the mid 50's. Like I don't know maybe 1952-1954 ish. Got to be the right age to remember the muscle car years, woodstock, and the peak of vannin' .

I'm glad I'm not the only that feels that way.
Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - March 16th 2010 1:54 am
Just came back and caught up on the latest posts here. Still some interesting reading and great discussion. i guess I am considered to be a lucky one...born in 52, grew up in a nice suburb, lots of muscle cars and stuff around. high school parking lot full of new RoadRunners, Boss Mustangs, Camaros and the like. One guy had new cars every few months-Nickey camaro, Baldwin Motion Chevelle, Yenko Camaro, Grand Spaulding Dart. (Dad owned a gas station!) I pulled a float in the 1970 homecoming parade with a 440 GTX. My dad and I went to every new car show and world of wheels show from about 1960 on.

You guys are right...several different groups of kids attend the events, and we are trying to figure out how to keep folks entertained.

Derick...you mentioned the trust issue. Sadly, oftentimes when groups of kids are walking around, trouble follows. Many of us know you and your dad, but many don't. If you seem to be wandering aimlessly, people naturally wonder what you are up to. The best way to get over your shyness is to talk to people. If you are walking around, and hear a song you like on someone's stereo, walk over and talk about it. Introduce yourself... like a van you see in a camp, walk in and say hello...talk about the van. Later, when someone wonders who you are, someone willl know, and say, "I met him earlier oday-nice kid. His dad is Mitch with the horror van." Then you aren't just a wandering kid, you are a friend.
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - March 16th 2010 8:39 pm
Nicely stated Howard! Great advice too.

Just one word of caution for the under 21 crowd, please don't accept anything from any adult while doing this that may get you into trouble.
Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - March 17th 2010 2:03 am
And don't forget...we, as adults, should take that same tack. If someone wanders into camp, or is showing an interest in your music/paint/wheels/whatever-talk to them! Doesn't matter if they are 15 or 51, it could be their first event and first exposure to us and our vehicles. The old saying, "You only get one chane to make a first impression" is true. If we open our lives a bit at that cruise night or car show, you never know what friendships may occur!

I know when I leave a cruise night, I am hoping that someone is at home telling their family that they just saw a cool van and met the owner and he was a nice guy, not I just saw a cool van, but the owner wasn't friendly at all...
Posted By: Nightmare Re: Teen Vanners - March 17th 2010 3:01 am
Originally Posted by on the road

Derick...you mentioned the trust issue. Sadly, oftentimes when groups of kids are walking around, trouble follows. Many of us know you and your dad, but many don't. If you seem to be wandering aimlessly, people naturally wonder what you are up to. The best way to get over your shyness is to talk to people. If you are walking around, and hear a song you like on someone's stereo, walk over and talk about it. Introduce yourself... like a van you see in a camp, walk in and say hello...talk about the van. Later, when someone wonders who you are, someone willl know, and say, "I met him earlier oday-nice kid. His dad is Mitch with the horror van." Then you aren't just a wandering kid, you are a friend.

I just read this and it does make sence. But I'm usualy not in a group, most of the time it's just Mike and I. But for the trust issues I was mainly talking about my partents, because they know who I am and what kind of person I am so I don't see why they can't trust me. Now about my shyness, it's usualy arround people I've never meet but that would be for example in my city, when I'm at a vannin' I feel pretty comfurtable arroud the people there because we all have the same interests: vans. The only time I am shy is talking to girls my age (That's what I said about the dancing idea....). But at a vannin' I know a lot of people (not all by name because I suck at remembering names), but I know them from there faces or even better there vans. When Mike and I walk arround that's what we do is look at vans and talk about them and to the owners aswell. Another thing we do is talk about are rc's to people and that's something that we seem to be known for.... So there is no need to fear us!!!! And if I ever do seem shy at times, just talk to me..... For example at school if no one talks to me I won't talk to them...

-Derick cheers
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - March 17th 2010 1:58 pm
Originally Posted by on the road
And don't forget...we, as adults, should take that same tack. If someone wanders into camp, or is showing an interest in your music/paint/wheels/whatever-talk to them! Doesn't matter if they are 15 or 51, it could be their first event and first exposure to us and our vehicles. The old saying, "You only get one chane to make a first impression" is true. If we open our lives a bit at that cruise night or car show, you never know what friendships may occur!

I know when I leave a cruise night, I am hoping that someone is at home telling their family that they just saw a cool van and met the owner and he was a nice guy, not I just saw a cool van, but the owner wasn't friendly at all...

Well put H. We also need to be that way right here on the forums. I have seen a couple young guys talking about things that may not really interest a lot of guys on here, and although I tried to support them others seemed to shun them or just ignore them.

We all need to try in order to keep what we love going.
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - March 20th 2010 5:26 am
Originally Posted by Superbeast

Well put H. We also need to be that way right here on the forums. I have seen a couple young guys talking about things that may not really interest a lot of guys on here, and although I tried to support them others seemed to shun them or just ignore them.

We all need to try in order to keep what we love going.

I have noticed that as well. I'm a jerk some times but I usually try to take into mind that someone could very easily get a bad taste of vanning from some of the attitude that comes around the board from time to time. This only hurts things.
Posted By: motorjunkie Re: Teen Vanners - March 20th 2010 12:49 pm
WOW... Where to start here? First, I know I am living in a dream land here but @ 35 I still feel really young. (Younger than most on this forum, and young enough not to have participated in the original van scene) I suppose that I represent a second generation of vanner. As such, it would seem that we represent a special opportunity to reach out to the teen participants. I still remember skateboading around town, getting into trouble, feeling disenfranchised w my environment, and at times being a delinquent. We are also a bit young to be viewed as "parental", so that helps as well.

I will also agree with Matchstick, that he can be a jerk sometimes grin... JK but sereously, we can react a bit unfriendly to an inexperienced comment at times, but I have to congratulate you all for being a VERY welcoming group. And as a fairly new participant myself, I have to say that this is the nicest web group I have been a part of. It is one of the things that kept me coming back. So, keep up the great work! I think we are on the right track.
Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - March 20th 2010 8:49 pm
Thanks for the kind words...a nice mix here, both age wise and experience wise...
Posted By: Nightmare Re: Teen Vanners - March 24th 2010 3:23 am
I would just like to add that foozball, pool table, and ping pong would be fun!! Me and Mike played with some other members of Runnin Wild and it was so fun!! I have a blister on my hand from playing foozball lol. Anyway thought that could be an idea added to the thread.

-Derick
Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - March 24th 2010 4:20 pm
What he said yeah
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Teen Vanners - March 25th 2010 7:03 pm
Originally Posted by mhunt
I will also agree with Matchstick, that he can be a jerk sometimes grin...

I've learned to live with myself lol
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - March 25th 2010 11:11 pm
Originally Posted by mhunt
I will also agree with Matchstick, that he can be a jerk sometimes grin...

I've learned to live with myself lol

So have we as you are such a likable jerk angel

Now back to your originally scheduled Teenybopper debate smile
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - April 08th 2010 8:00 pm
Just caught up with the last few weeks on this thread--great discussion here.

Derick, I think perhaps this year you may get a sense of trust from your parents. It may have been because of eVANts that issue a curfew for those under 16 to be in camp by 10 pm. Of course, it is up to you to conduct yourself in such a way that you deserve trust from your parents.

And, we did ask some of our younger Vanners what would be good to do and what they would want, so hopefully they will all be happy--whichever group they fall into!

But-we need to remember to keep this discussion going. I would hate to see it go by the wayside after the Nationals this year--we have a Nats every year and it will be an issue each year.

And, if you host an eVANt, perhaps you can involve them in part of that eVANt. Teenagers can have babysitting areas, pick up cans, have a vote for their favorite Van or banner, dog walk, help with goodie bags at the gate, go on trash runs or patrols, help stock the porta-pots (you'll probably never get them to clean one--but ya never know!), help get out word for game times, band, gatherings, perhaps they would help to get the stage ready, or be the gopher for the gate or the band,
they can hold a 'soda' tasting, have a sandwich contest, clean out my VAN, they can do air bands for themselves, they can take littlier ones on a walk, give rides to those not getting around so well, and much more. I know some seem like work detail, but it does take a community to put on even a small eVANt these days. And should a teenager make a dime or two--well, then they can go and spend it on vendor's row!

I'm just saying!
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - April 12th 2010 7:45 pm
I think this all sounds good Suzie EXCEPT the 'Dog Walk'.

I don't think anyone but the owner of the dog should walk them. If something happens (we all hope it doesn't) I feel the owners of dogs should be the only one to be accountable.

Say for instance a perfectly normal dog is being walked by a young vanner (dog not theirs) and another dog on a chain tied to a van (should be safe) and the walker gets too close to the chained up dog (not noticing it) and the tied up dog attacks the walked dog. Now you have two dog owners and a walker involved with a bad situation.

This type of thing happened at a run we were at last year and there were a lot of hard feelings on the outcome. It may have been avoided if the dog owner (more familiar with their dog) had control over at least one of the dogs.

Just an opinion based on on observation.
Posted By: nautic1 Re: Teen Vanners - April 12th 2010 9:52 pm
That makes sense to me Ken.
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - April 13th 2010 8:05 pm
Excellent point Ken--
---and thanks. This is the kind of thing we need to share in order to make things better each time an eVANt is held. Without the knowledge, it is hard to know there may be a problem that needs attention.

So, with an edit---things for those ansty teenagers to fill time with at a Van Run.

And, if you host an eVANt, perhaps you can involve them in part of that eVANt. Teenagers can have babysitting areas, pick up cans, have a vote for their favorite Van or banner, help with goodie bags at the gate, go on trash runs or patrols, help stock the porta-pots (you'll probably never get them to clean one--but ya never know!), help get out word for game times, band, gatherings, perhaps they would help to get the stage ready, or be the gopher for the gate or the band,
they can hold a 'soda' tasting, have a sandwich contest, clean out my VAN, or they can do air bands for themselves, they can take littlier ones on a walk, give rides to those not getting around so well, and much more. I know some seem like work detail, but it does take a community to put on even a small eVANt these days. And should a teenager make a dime or two--well, then they can go and spend it on vendor's row!
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - April 13th 2010 11:45 pm
Hum, now that I think of it, wonder what they would charge me to detail my van? grin
Posted By: on the road Re: Teen Vanners - April 14th 2010 12:53 am
Still a great thread with lots of good conversation. As most of you know Midwest's theme this year is "Pub Crawl". We have decided to include the kids, also. We will have stops on the crawl just for them. Bloody Marys, Jack Daniels, No, wait...seriously, we are planning a popcorn stop, maybe virgin Jello shots, Kool aid chug, etc. The little ones should feel good being part of what the "Big kids" are doing, and the teens will feel included, too. One of the kids activities on Saturday will be decorating their own drinking glass.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Teen Vanners - April 15th 2010 12:37 pm
Well I'm an old guy (58 and my youngest is 28) so I don't know if this helps but would a van wash run by teen vanners do any good or would they see that as a PITA?
Teens like to eat so would a hamburger/hot dog cookout/campfire/mixer for "younger vanners only" be any good? Nothing fancy or over-planned, just eat and hang out? Some place away from the old farts with maybe just a few older vanners around to keep 'em safe?
Or just drag in a Toyota and a sledgehammer and let 'em all beat the hell out of it?

I'm so happy to be an old guy.
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Teen Vanners - April 15th 2010 4:30 pm
Oh yeah, I forgot young people don't like to work and make money lol
Posted By: Twisted Re: Teen Vanners - April 15th 2010 5:52 pm
I would love to detail, wash, wax etc any of your vans. Not sure about others but....lol. I'll take dibs on the sledge hammer first, right through that toyotas windshield HAHA!!!!!!
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - April 15th 2010 6:26 pm
Howard--what a great thing for Midwest to do-thanks to you all! It isn't hard--just need to think of it is all for most of us. And those of us without youngsters have a much harder time thinking of it! hee hee

Love the cookout type of idea Catfish--may be a little close for the Nats this year, but this thread shouldn't go anywhere and those to host next can use it as a reference and those that are holding smaller than the Nats eVANts the rest of the year can use it for referral also. (Although, I have seen some eVANts that really wear the kids out during the day--Hy Rollin' comes to mind quickly here.)

Twisted--you might need a crew for all those Vans lining up---if we need ya--we will certainly let you know!
Posted By: Nightmare Re: Teen Vanners - April 27th 2010 3:53 am
I haven;t been on in a while, but I;m back!! laugh

Originally Posted by Suzie-BGfNY-IN

Of course, it is up to you to conduct yourself in such a way that you deserve trust from your parents.

I do desrve trust. I think the may issue is that they "think" I'm going to get hurt at a vannin because of all the "random drunks" walking arround... Yes they did say that. Honnestly a vannin is a pretty safe place to have fun, it's an inclosed fairground with people that know eachother. There aren't many strangers running arround the nats or any other vannin. But the funny part is they will let me go out in my city as long as I don't drink and drive, etc... (You know how it goes). And I'm a responsible kid. I've never even been to a party in my city. I won't say I never drank, but I've never been drunk. And it takes alot to admit that. But it's the truth. Oh well I guess I'll see how thi ssumeer goes. Either way I want to have fun, since it is my LAST summer before college and all that good stuff (NOT lol).

As for cleaning vans, um.... If Mike is then I would probably clean one with him because he is my best friend and I would be bored if we weren't hagging out lol. But other then that I go to an event to have fun just like everyone else. So I wouldn't want to work the hole time.

As for all these activitys they sound interesting but i doubt I would be attending them all. I love vannin the way it is, they way I've alwase found something to do, weather it was walk arround and look at vans, talk to people, gather information and idea's to incoperate into my futur van (Yes I have a plan in my head and if it goes well my van will be something never seen before... I'm not letting my ideas leak out of mhy head tho lol).

What I would like, A LOT, is more junkyard runs. Even if I'm not looking for a part I like to go and just look arround, at cars trucks and vans. I like to take cool pictures of stuff that you can only see in junkyard snd just explore basicly. That's something I would be extremly happy to have more of.

So all this talk about Vans and Vannin is making me want to start Nightmare up from hibernation and head out to Lost. I CAN'T WAIT!

-Derick
Posted By: Nightmare Re: Teen Vanners - April 27th 2010 4:19 am
After logging out and thinking about what I posted I felt like I was rambling? I'm not going to edit it tho, what I posted is said. So since I'm not like most teens these days I won't suggest things. If Vannin wont go back to drag racing vans, tractor pulls, etc (Like back in the day, which obviously it won't because people don't want to get sued blah blah blah. and they don't want to abuse there vans (That I understand)), then I don't want vannin to change from what it currently is. Period.

-Derick
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Teen Vanners - April 28th 2010 2:25 pm
Derick--
You are such a special and rare breed as far as the typical teenage Vanner goes, I don't believe you are the personality type we are trying to reach out to in order to 'touch' them with involvement. We really are trying to involve all attendees at runs with more activities so that everyone feels included. And for most of the teens, they want a place of their own where they can do something, anything and feel not so, 'dragged with the parents.'

It touches my heart that some of our youngsters 'get it' so quickly and can move into the next generation of Vanning without issues and they can teach their peers. Thanks Derick for being one of those youngsters!
Posted By: Nightmare Re: Teen Vanners - April 29th 2010 3:51 am
Haha!!! Thank you very much! That put a smile on my face smile

Sometimes I'm the one "dragging the parents" to certain events!! LOL! I think if I didn't want to go, that they would just stay home...

I love being a Vanner. It's in my blood, just like gasoline, and alwase will be laugh

-Derick
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Teen Vanners - May 13th 2010 1:46 am
I just heard, in no uncertain terms, that the young vanner's of today, are tired of hearing that they are "OUR " future, and they said, they want to be part of our present !...I have to agree !
Posted By: Lordmodelbuilder Re: Teen Vanners - May 13th 2010 2:25 am
If they are into vans & the vanning way of life, then they are part of today's vanning. But, since they are the younger generation, they are also the future of vanning.
Heck, I am 46 & I won't go into what I worry about happening to vanning.Brad
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Teen Vanners - November 08th 2010 4:56 pm
i was not so long ago a "teen vanner" next year will mark 10 years that ive been vanning and i started when i was 19. already an adult legally and my parents arent vanners, so i had no supervision save for my club, which pretty much helped keep me from freezing to death or being too stupid. That being said i remember what its like to be of that age range and I think something like Catfish's idea of a mixer cook out type of thing would be good. Put up a stereo so they can play their types of music and just let em be. Maybe have an adult vanner "check up" on them every so often just to make sure nobody raided dads beer cooler and let them do their thing. We dont go to truck-ins to work and wash vans, walk dogs etc. and i dont think they would want to work on their weekend away either. I do think its a good thing that the older vanners are considering the likes/dislikes of the younger crowd and trying to make them feel welcome. That does more that we know to ensure the future of our lifestyle.
© Vannin' Community and Forums