Vannin' Home

Van Definitions

Posted By: on the road

Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 11:44 am

The following is the list that was compiled by us several years ago. Obviously, as new vans come on the market, they can be added.

It is on the web page, part of the contract.
"The following is a list of Vehicles that would be accepted into the Nationals. This list is only to be used at the Nationals. and does not regulate what can or can not come to any local eVANt. Local eVANt attendance is governed by the host club and the custom of the area.

Type of Vehicle

Panel Truck yes

Windowed panel (pre 73) yes

Hearse/Sedan Delivery no

Van up no

Swat truck/bread truck or step van yes

Cube Van (ambulance) no

Class C no

Transvan no

Explorer motor home (dodge) yes

Ambulance/Van (not Cube) yes

VW bus yes

MPV yes

Aerostar, Windstar, Astro yes

Safari, Caravan, Voyager yes

Hand Built box/mutant Vans chassis yes

PT Cruiser no

HHR Panel yes

HHR window no

Vehicles considered vans in Foreign countries not available for sale in the US. This is a gray area and will be considered on a case-by-case basis"

This list does not specify every van in the US market, but you get the idea. We will revisit this in Wisconsin, and probably add the list of import vans for clarification.
Posted By: Ram4ever

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 5:41 pm

Interesting Howard! Thanks for posting that. You just saved me some missteps.

I don't know very much about this topic in general, nor do I really have opinions on it, but what actually disqualifies a Van up? I was surprised to see it's not allowed. Where could I learn more about it's classification?

I've tentatively been thinking about one that's in a local yard, but since it's not OK on your list, that's strong ammo for me to skip it. (And all the attendant flak from my other half!) Same with a local Transvan I could get cheap.

Thanks again!
Posted By: NateB

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 5:47 pm

In regards to the "van ups".

Early Dodges, Fords, and Corvairs had a pickup truck version. While they share mechanicals, technically they are not vans, but pick up trucks hence not allowed at the Nats.
Posted By: Lil_Ed

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by on the road

I didnt know about this one, kind of surprised
Posted By: 8StreetVan4

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 6:58 pm

I have no clue why somebody would take a perfectly good van and cut the back off and put a pickup bed on...Just buy a pick up truck then, it would be cheaper than all the custom work being done to the van and chassis.

What about a pt cruiser that they did a lot of custom work to and permanently closed the back doors and made it into a panel? (I saw one at Carlisle that looked cool...they should have made that one from the factory, but Chrysler never listens to the public)

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 7:01 pm

I have no clue why somebody would take a perfectly good van and cut the back off and put a pickup bed on...Just buy a pick up truck then, it would be cheaper than all the custom work being done to the van and chassis.

The early Dodge (A-100), Ford (Econoline), and Corvair (Rampside/Loadside) pickups were factory built. These vans/pickups were all unibody and did not have a seperate frame. However I have seen some fools actually cut down an early Dodge van to make a pickup of it. Weird.
Posted By: 8StreetVan4

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 7:21 pm

The A-100's and all were very cool. I don't mean those, I mean the mid-80's Ford and Dodge Vans that they cut down and put a pickup bed on. But, I don't understand the people that attach thousands of cameras to the outside of a Van either---maybe its just me.
Posted By: billo

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by 8StreetVan4
What about a pt cruiser that they did a lot of custom work to and permanently closed the back doors and made it into a panel? (I saw one at Carlisle that looked cool...they should have made that one from the factory, but Chrysler never listens to the public)

From the factory the registration says "car" therefore not allowed at the Nationals

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by 8StreetVan4
The A-100's and all were very cool. I don't mean those, I mean the mid-80's Ford and Dodge Vans that they cut down and put a pickup bed on. But, I don't understand the people that attach thousands of cameras to the outside of a Van either---maybe its just me.

Ah..I see what you mean. Yeah why would someone do that.

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks Nate!

I thought Van ups were actually on a van frame from their size, -like a van with the rear roof cut off the way you mentioned with the mids, but hey, earlies are waaaay outside my territory!

The one I was talking about is a nice Corvair, rust in peace...

Clear skies!
Posted By: Phoenix

Re: Van Definitions - July 30th 2009 9:42 pm

I kind of shyed away from this because of the previous topic but Thank you Howard for posting the list, Van-up had me going for a while but I figured it out. I hope You all (the Nats Board) get it worked out totally and maybe publish or post as complete a list as possible on here or or the Nats Board web site, so everyone knows the answers on this in the future. I think everyone knows that a definite and complete list is impossible. But you got a nice size chunk of it on here today.
Thanks
Posted By: MoeThirteen

Re: Van Definitions - August 02nd 2009 5:02 am

The step van being allowed nearly knocked me off my chair! Didn't see that coming, but that is one you would probably have to check at local eVANts.

Re: Van Definitions - August 02nd 2009 12:03 pm

We decided to allow them, since there were several at the first few Nationals, and some really nice ones back in the day. I was hoping to see Mooney's this year, but didn't.
Posted By: josh_performanceinc

Re: Van Definitions - August 02nd 2009 1:30 pm

Mooney's is a sweet little ride. For sale too.... hope someone gets it who appreciates it.
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye

Re: Van Definitions - August 06th 2009 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by billo
What about a pt cruiser that they did a lot of custom work to and permanently closed the back doors and made it into a panel?

From the factory the registration says "car" therefore not allowed at the Nationals

I have a PT Cruiser (since 2002) It's a car! Yes they made some of them to look like panels & some did it after they bought it BUT it's a car
Posted By: G_10

Re: Van Definitions - August 06th 2009 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by DeeJaye
What about a pt cruiser that they did a lot of custom work to and permanently closed the back doors and made it into a panel?

I have a PT Cruiser (since 2002) It's a car! Yes they made some of them to look like panels & some did it after they bought it BUT it's a car

Actually, yes, it is a Dodge Neon platform, which definitely makes it a car.

Re: Van Definitions - August 06th 2009 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by G_10
Originally Posted by DeeJaye

Actually, yes, it is a Dodge Neon platform, which definitely makes it a car.

Thanks that what I been saying all along
Posted By: Clover

Re: Van Definitions - August 06th 2009 5:06 pm

[quote=on the road

HHR Panel yes

HHR window no
[/quote]

...so heres a question for yall... if the early models came in pannel'd AND window'd versons, and are BOTH allowed in, why are the HHR PANNEL'D allowed in and the HHR WINDOW'D are not?

i was always told the van deffinition was (with exceptions) a stock vehicle offered by the factory in a panneled version.
Posted By: Mr Truckin

Re: Van Definitions - August 06th 2009 6:00 pm

first the HHR is not a van. the early models are a van. the important part of the sentence is VAN. the HHR pannel is named a panel inportant word is PANEL. make sense now?

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 12:11 am

Ad the pre 73 windowed panels are sort of grandfathered in due to the fact that we have had several attend Nationals back in the day.

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 1:10 am

Yeah, understanding that it falls to the the factory nomenclature cleared things up a lot for me... the "Van-ups" were actually called a Pickup Truck in the factory literature.

It's a shame the various terms have been misused so often over the years as to blur the distinctions.

Thanks for working so hard to clear this stuff up!

Clear skies!

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 2:50 am

Originally Posted by on the road
Ad the pre 73 windowed panels are sort of grandfathered in due to the fact that we have had several attend Nationals back in the day.

i was following ya realy well up till here. then i got confused.

so pannel trucks are allowed in, hhr pannel truck is allowed in, "windowed" pannel trucks are allowed in, but "windowed" hhr pannel truck is not?

what im understanding is unless its a realy f-n old pannel, the only "pannel trucks" that are allowed in are full pannel.

..just playin the devils advocate for clarification. :-D cheers

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 6:36 am

I wondered if that would be confusing...

HHRs are cars.

GM built a version that wears a "Panel" nameplate. Many vanners have bought, customized, and brought them to runs. we allow them as the contemporary panel. If Chrysler had built the PT panel that so many of us drooled over, we would allow them, too. As it is, there is a company that converts the PTs into panels, but they are still cars. No different than if you blocked the windows out on a Hyundai or whatever and called it a panel...no deal!

There has not been a US made panel sold in the States since 1972. At that time, there were panel and window versions available and they were built on Truck chassis. We allow all of those variations, just as we allow the window versions of vans.

Back in the day there were car based panel looking vehicles, also, called sedan deliveries. They are not allowed at the Nats, although a few have slipped in under the radar as recently as the Butler Nats. All of this refers only to the Nationals, not local runs.

Generally speaking, Panels have 2 doors in the back, and sedan deliveries have one door. There are xceptions with tailgates, but I said generally!

Hope this makes more sense!

And to make it more of a mess, Willys at one time made a panel truck! And we have had at least one at a Nats (Los Banos)

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 6:48 am

I am working on a more complete list...PM me van models that you see on the street. Stick to the oddballs...not every Venture and Aerostar!

Off the top of my head:

Chev HHR Panel
Nissan NV Panel Van
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Hi Ace
Honda Odyssey
Olds Silhouette
Chev Lumina
Pontiac Trans Sport
Pontiac Montana
Buick Terrazza
Isuzu Oasis
Mitsubishi ?
Ford Transit
Ford Transit Connect
Ford Windstar
Ford Freestar
Chev Venture
Freightliner Sprinter
Mercedes Sprinter
Dodge Sprinter
Mercury Villager
Mercury Monterey
Nissan Quest
Kia Sedona
Vantage Van-Go
Chang An Tiger Truck
Bedford CF
Thames van and panel
Anglia panel
Holden Panel

Not complete, but you get the idea...Now, for the obvious...
Chevy Van
Sport Van
Beauville
Gypsy
GMC Van
Rally
Nomad (not the car...stop it!)
Econoline
VanDura
Tradesman
Voyager
Caravan
Sportsman
Grand Caravan
Aerostar
Caravan C/V
Astro
Safari
Savanna
Express
Posted By: kevin nh

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 12:36 pm

I have been to 3 Nats with my Chevy Venture minivan, glad to see it made the list....lol
Posted By: HomeBrew

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 12:38 pm

on the road, that makes more sense :-)
Posted By: NJvanner68

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2009 1:15 pm

Howard Correct me if i am wrong Astro you can ban me or delete my post isf you want.

But shouldn't a new van that is added to the list be voted on at the C of C?

I have pretty much the same list as you have except that i made a full web page with Pics on it as well. but i was told I was not alowed to post here so I stoped posting on this subject.

Re: Van Definitions - August 08th 2009 4:16 am

Chris...no problem...I am just trying to make a relatively complete list and we will make it official at C of C...in our meeting, it has nothing to do with Council Business. i'd like to check out your info. PM me the website!
Posted By: Astro

Re: Van Definitions - August 08th 2009 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by NJvanner68
Howard Correct me if i am wrong Astro you can ban me or delete my post if you want.

you haven't done anything to get banned! I have nothing against you, you have done nothing wrong.

Originally Posted by NJvanner68

I have pretty much the same list as you have except that i made a full web page with Pics on it as well. but i was told I was not allowed to post here so I stoped posting on this subject.

The reason I asked you not to post it here is you're not on the nats board, which means you can't answer officially, and one of the vans you stated as NOT A VAN (the oasis) the nats board stated WAS a van... so I don't want any confusion for anyone. I explained this to you once already.

if you and howard make your lists jive, and howard says your lists is correct, then I would have no problem with you making a post with it.
Posted By: matchstickBGV

Re: Van Definitions - August 08th 2009 2:29 pm

What doesn't howard know?! this thread has been extremely educational. This particular new part of the forum was a great idea. Not to go on a tagent or anything because I don't have anything to add to the conversation but man howard knows his stuff.

Re: Van Definitions - August 09th 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks, Dave...some days I wonder...

I really only know enough stuff to know that there is more stuff to know...

Like I said at the judging seminar at the Nats...if we (the old guys) don't tell the stories and share what we have learned, then you (the new guys) will have to start over, and the stories and knowledge will slowly be lost!

Re: Van Definitions - August 09th 2009 2:12 pm

Howard...

Any chance the Nats board would reconsider the Trans Van at some point? The reason I ask is because it was built on a van chassis as were the Xplorers (that are allowed at the Nats)

Re: Van Definitions - August 09th 2009 2:19 pm

The explorers we were talking about are the early ones, built by cutting up a van. Anything that started life as a Cutaway cab and chassis(like a class C or a cube van) is out at this point. Roadtreks and the wide bodies were vans at one point. Scotty's Early Dodge motorhome started life as a van, as far as I know...They didn't make cutaways in the 60s...(?)

Re: Van Definitions - August 09th 2009 2:52 pm

Ah..now I see your point. Thanks.

Yepper...Scotty's Balboa camper was an A108. Not sure if you he showed you, but if you peek underneath most of the van body is still intact. All Balboa did was lay the f/g body over top.

Re: Van Definitions - August 09th 2009 4:35 pm

Yup...That's why we allow it. Many times there is more than meets the eye whan doing this stuff. I'm hoping this thread and others like is will help ty de-mystfy a few things!
Posted By: CatFish

Re: Van Definitions - August 10th 2009 5:41 pm

There may be some decisions to make about panels in the future. Nissan is pushing this panel as a service vehicle and (so far) they're calling it a panel.
A good looking design.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Superbeast

Re: Van Definitions - August 10th 2009 6:43 pm

Looks kinda neat, cept for the grille area!

Re: Van Definitions - August 10th 2009 7:37 pm

Looks like a George Lucas Storm Trooper edition.

Re: Van Definitions - August 10th 2009 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by joshvan

Didn't think of that. With the right name or logo they will sell millions of them!

Re: Van Definitions - August 10th 2009 9:38 pm

neat! thats an interesting pannel!

Re: Van Definitions - August 10th 2009 9:44 pm

Looks like a photoshopped Nissan Pathfinder/honda Element. I like it, though...

Re: Van Definitions - August 10th 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Superbeast
Originally Posted by joshvan

Didn't think of that. With the right name or logo they will sell millions of them!

Are all the starwars movies out? That would be a good promo for both... All I require for coming up with the idea is one of them free for me.
Posted By: Hoofbeats

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 4:05 pm

Would this be allowed in?

[Linked Image]

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 4:35 pm

Technically that is a panel truck, so yes. I've never seen one of them.

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 4:39 pm

let's let the nats board make the official call
Posted By: Wizard78

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hoofbeats
Would this be allowed in?

[Linked Image]

I've worked for Ford for 31 years and I've Never seen one of those

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 4:59 pm

looking at the architecture of he surrounding buildings, I am guessing it may not be an american option.

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 5:12 pm

The were made by Ford of South America.I'm not sure were they were made or were they were all sold to but you see them time to time in Mexico.They were based on the 1973-1979 Ford pickups.
Posted By: Virtual

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 5:18 pm

Have never seen one of these before. It's very odd they only made them in South America, maybe they couldn't import the vans down there for some reason.

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 5:20 pm

or maybe there was something about them that didn't meet us safety codes.

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Astro
or maybe there was something about them that didn't meet us safety codes.

yeah I wanted a full size 'Excursion' type truck from Dodge years ago. They built one in S.A. but you couldn't get one here because of that.

Re: Van Definitions - June 24th 2010 6:10 pm

They also made them with windows.

[Linked Image]

Here is what the rear doors looked like.

[Linked Image]

I think they may have also made them with split rear doors that lifted up and dropped down.

How about a four door Bronco,the Suburban Ford never made.They would have needed to clean the lines up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They also made them with a small box in back.

[Linked Image]

Re: Van Definitions - June 25th 2010 12:52 am

Cool Panel trucks. If someone were to import one and show up with it, I'd say we would let them in. The 4 door version in the other pic, no. I have seen those a few times here. They are just extended Broncos, basically. In Australia, the "vans" resemble pinto panels from the 70s. They are vans by their definition, and there was even one at the Anaheim c of c. When we were in the Bahamas on the vanner cruise, we saw all sorts of oddball vans. There are lots of them out there that we never see. Like I said earlier, there has not been a panel truck sold in the US since 1972, until the HHR. There are, obviously, panels newer than that in other parts of the world!
Posted By: UTAH

Re: Van Definitions - June 25th 2010 2:46 am

there is a chunky impot tax on work vehicles made abroad and brought to the us. this may be whe we don't see those panel trucks over here.
the new lttle ford is made over seas, as a passenger car with rear windows and seats. once they are brought here the seats and window get pulled and delete panels get put in, so technically it is a conversion?
remeber the brat? (little foreign truck-isuzu?) they added seats to that to make it a passenger car.
Posted By: G_ROLLER

Re: Van Definitions - July 22nd 2014 1:46 pm

So 2 years ago at the nationals in Ohio (maybe 3 in Wisconsin?) There was a yellow vehicle That was made from a Ford car front end with a full-size Chevy Van rear end that was all grafted together. It was actually a pretty cool vehicle but like the PT cruiser panel Trucks that people may I'm sure the title said car. Why was this one let n to the nationals? Just asking...
Posted By: nautic1

Re: Van Definitions - July 27th 2014 1:31 am

Do you have a picture of it?

Re: Van Definitions - July 27th 2014 1:39 am

Probably because it had a van body
Posted By: Digz

Re: Van Definitions - July 27th 2014 1:42 am

I know which one you mean. It was Fusion I believe.Don't know if it was a car front or one of those newer Transit things. I can appreciate the work into it but wasn't one of the prettiest things you'll ever see. jmo

Re: Van Definitions - July 27th 2014 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Digz
I know which one you mean. It was Fusion I believe.Don't know if it was a car front or one of those newer Transit things. I can appreciate the work into it but wasn't one of the prettiest things you'll ever see. jmo

Yep, that's the one:
https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/578420/1
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!!

Re: Van Definitions - July 31st 2014 11:52 pm

[Linked Image]

Re: Van Definitions - August 17th 2014 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by G_ROLLER
So 2 years ago at the nationals in Ohio (maybe 3 in Wisconsin?) There was a yellow vehicle That was made from a Ford car front end with a full-size Chevy Van rear end that was all grafted together. It was actually a pretty cool vehicle but like the PT cruiser panel Trucks that people may I'm sure the title said car. Why was this one let n to the nationals? Just asking...

It was let in because : they had called the host club and asked if they would be allowed into the NATS. The member mistakenly told them YES (they should have checked with a member of the NATS board)When they arrived at the gate at Wisconsin, after driving from Nebraska, It was questioned again whether to allow in.
It was decided not to punish them for the misdeeds of the Host club, but to allow them in just this once. So they got in with the understanding the vehicle would not be let in in the future. They had a great time, really enjoyed the run,and were invited to come back with a complete VAN.
Posted By: HonestRansy

Re: Van Definitions - August 18th 2014 1:40 am

there is so much controversy over who should be allowed into van events. I can see both sides. who wants cars in the van events? who wants a semi van vehicle that doesn't fit in at other events excluded? Any vehicle that is somewhat van-like and customized would be fine with me.

Re: Van Definitions - August 18th 2014 3:56 pm

Given the circumstances, I think the Nats board does a very good job. I mean, after all, how do you make and enforce rules for people who don't like following rules?
I believe that Vanners are, by one degree or another, non-conformists. Any rule that is so hard and tight that it cannot be bent by commonsense or compassion would grate against our nature.

Just my 2%.

Re: Van Definitions - August 18th 2014 5:22 pm

That was ok to do but please remember it is the VAN Nationals
Posted By: 65handibus

Re: Van Definitions - November 07th 2014 2:29 am

[Linked Image]would this qualify thanks terry

Re: Van Definitions - November 10th 2014 8:34 pm

The following is a list of Vehicles that would be
accepted into the Nationals

This list is only to be used at the Nationals
and does not regulate what can or can not come to any local eVANt. Local eVANt attendance is governed by the host club and
the custom of the area

Type of Vehicle
Panel Truck yes
Windowed panel (pre 73) yes
Hearse/Sedan Delivery no
Van up no
Cube Van (ambulance no
Class C no
Transvan no
Explorer motor home (dodge) yes
Ambulance/Van (not Cube) yes
VW yes
MPV yes
Aerostat, Winstar, Astro yes
Safari, Caravan, Voyager yes
Hand Built box/mutant Vans chassis yes
PT Cruiser no
HHR Panel yes
HHR window no
Vehicles considered vans in Foreign countries not a
vailable for sale in the US. This is a gray area a
nd will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Re: Van Definitions - November 25th 2014 4:20 pm

ok.. can of worms.
the Scion Xb from Sema.. was that actually a panel? or a panelover kit? are they manufacturing/marketing it as a panel?
Posted By: Finkle

Re: Van Definitions - August 04th 2015 9:02 pm

So for the modern vehicles that are iffy a lot comes done to the title? I see the HHR panel is approved, is it OK if it is kustomized after the point of purchase? I put porthole windows in mine.

Re: Van Definitions - August 07th 2015 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mongoose
So for the modern vehicles that are iffy a lot comes done to the title? I see the HHR panel is approved, is it OK if it is kustomized after the point of purchase? I put porthole windows in mine.

if it's on this list, you can do whatever you want to it.
what "new" vehicle are you wanting to know about that is "iffy" ?
Posted By: Finkle

Re: Van Definitions - August 08th 2015 12:06 pm

Astro, I didn't mean new, so much as modern. I was referring specifically to the HHR Panel as far as it being "iffy". It is on the list thus officially accepted, but a point that is argued by some.

Thanks for the clarification. Glad to know I didn't risk my status with the portholes.

By the way, saw on the main page you recently got married. Congratulations and best wishes! And thank you for the work you do on this site. It is a great resource to people with questions (and I have plenty).

Re: Van Definitions - August 08th 2015 5:37 pm

I'm glad that farm tractors are allowed in.......... bow
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!!

Re: Van Definitions - August 23rd 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Finkle
Astro, I didn't mean new, so much as modern. I was referring specifically to the HHR Panel as far as it being "iffy". It is on the list thus officially accepted, but a point that is argued by some.

Thanks for the clarification. Glad to know I didn't risk my status with the portholes.

By the way, saw on the main page you recently got married. Congratulations and best wishes! And thank you for the work you do on this site. It is a great resource to people with questions (and I have plenty).

The HHR Panel was built and sold as a modern day Panel. The window station wagon version was not allowed as it is simply a car.
Posted By: Jerry_XtraVanTastic

Classic Van V. Sprinter type - December 04th 2016 5:31 am

i changed my mind
Posted By: Reed

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - December 04th 2016 6:17 pm

I think they are vans. If the old panel trucks and windowless HHRs are "vans" then a Sprinter/Ram/Freightliners and Transits are all vans too. Our favorite classic bodies won't be around forever. TIme to embrace the new. Besides, they aren't all bad.
Posted By: MrHoney

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - December 04th 2016 8:09 pm

Of course they are vans.
Posted By: Jerry_XtraVanTastic

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - December 05th 2016 1:29 am

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant they're called or classified as a Class B camper.
I'm saying there needs to be a distinction between a Classic Van and a Sprinter Type Van.
I get that they are Van's. I'm speaking about Campers IE: conversion vans converted to campers.
I wonder how an HHR converted into a full camper would be excepted into the Class B camper ONLY outing.
Posted By: Reed

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - December 05th 2016 3:12 am

Sprinter class? Woudl they fall into the same category as Type IIs, Vanagons, Toyota vans, Subaru vans, and the rest an be imports or Eurovans? Maybe the REALLY late Dodge van class?

An HHR converted into a Clas B would be quite a tight squeeze. It would have ot be a hightop or a pop-top for sure.
Posted By: Starlord

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - February 12th 2017 2:18 am

Commercials keep referring to Pacificas as vans. I didn't think they were considered vans. What's the verdict? Just wondering...I'm not getting one.

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - February 14th 2017 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jerry_XtraVanTastic
Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant they're called or classified as a Class B camper.
I'm saying there needs to be a distinction between a Classic Van and a Sprinter Type Van.
I get that they are Van's just not van's in a traditional sense.

I wonder how an HHR converted into a full camper would be excepted into the Class B camper ONLY outing.

HHRs can only enter if they are a factory panel

Originally Posted by Starlord
Commercials keep referring to Pacificas as vans. I didn't think they were considered vans. What's the verdict? Just wondering...I'm not getting one.

if you mean the Chrysler, then yes, it's a marketed and sold as a minivan, so it's allowed.
Posted By: Starlord

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - February 18th 2017 4:31 am

Thanks Astro....I was just wondering. I hadn't heard of them being referred to as vans until recently.

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - April 05th 2017 6:34 pm

so the consensus is the HHR is only allowed in if its a factory panel. if i purchased a factory paneled HHR, swapped the rear doors for windowed ones, and installed rear windows.. THAT would be allowed into the NATS simply bc it was originally a factory panel, even if though has been altered/customized to the exact same as the non-panel trim version?

seems like odd logic to simply prevent a line-walking vehicle into the rally. imo

the PT i get, bc it wasn't ever available as a panel. but a vehicle offered as a factory panel.. i guess i just have a different opinion about it.
Posted By: Vanner68

Re: Classic Van V. Sprinter type - July 18th 2017 1:15 pm

Time to end the TransVan Ban!
Posted By: tumbleweed

Re: Van Definitions - August 21st 2018 2:35 pm

dodge pro master needs to added.

tumbleweed
Free Spirit
Spirit In The Wind
Nova Vans
Virginia Van council
© 2019 Vannin' Community and Forums