Vannin' Home
Posted By: CatFish Trailering vs long haul - July 27th 2009 10:55 pm
Posted By: econovanman Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 27th 2009 11:01 pm
I would think that IF it clearly says the van should be driven to the event-(hence the long haul/long distance award or trophy)then I would think in order to qualify you would in fact need to drive your van from your home town to where ever the show is.
I know in the Mustang Club of America (MCA) that the is a concours driven class and a concours trailered class which are judged completely separate-hope this helps some....
Posted By: Astro Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 27th 2009 11:05 pm
long haul is for the person, not the van.

if you drove there, you drove there.

most of the vans I saw trailered in where towed behind another van.
Posted By: on the road Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 27th 2009 11:11 pm
Hard to trailer a van without driving a vehicle!!! not to mention the gas expense, etc. I don't understand why people are upset with Tom. He drives to every Nats, literally thousands of miles, and is a big part of the resurgence of vanning on the west coast. In the years when he drives Battlestar, his wife follows with another vehicle with a trailer with the golfcart on it, or a second van( How would you like that fuel bill?? ). The one person that I heard complain the loudest wanted the long distance trophy because his ADDRESS was farther, even though he only traveled a few hundred miles to the Nats from another event the week before. Tom drove specifically to the nats, as did two other couples from Arizona. As far as that goes, why do we give a long haul award to the guys from England or wherever? They don't drive at all!
Posted By: CatFish Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 27th 2009 11:15 pm
Posted By: Snotty Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 27th 2009 11:30 pm
First I heard of any complaints... butt u will always have this...
Posted By: CatFish Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 27th 2009 11:44 pm
Sorry I asked.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:05 am
I always trailored Nautilus with my work van,paid for 2 vans and someone didn't like it so be it.I got there and had fun!
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:24 am
If you drove & trailed too, the you drove - long haul
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:26 am
Got that right lol
Posted By: on the road Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:32 am
Catfish...Don't take offense...I was just trying to cover a few bases with my answer. I sure wasn't rying to ruffle any fins! And as I stated when this thread started, we will try to answer all questions!
Posted By: CatFish Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 1:21 am
I wasn't offended. I was concerned about bringing up the "trailer/no trailer" debate and didn't see the other issue coming. I should have phrased my question differently.
I guess it boils down to a personal decision over whether or not to sign up for long haul.
For clarity I'll rephrase my question: Would I be eligible for long haul at the Nats if I towed my van there with an old Greyhound PD4501 Super Scenicruiser? laugh
Posted By: GreyBeardsGhost Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 1:32 am
Bring the bus Catfish. Your welcome to park with me anytime.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 1:41 am
Lee, you know I never did get around to hittin' that double bubble.
Posted By: on the road Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 1:59 am
oops! and yup...bring the bus, bring the van...but, of course, the bus has to stay outside!
Posted By: Phoenix Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 2:02 am
I am confused, As a rookie,(as far as the show end) I thought you were looked down on for having a trailer queen. As for long haul I don't have any problem with that,either. Actually I was told that if you trailered , you could show but could not be judged.
Posted By: on the road Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 2:13 am
Nope... the van gets judged no difference between trailers or not!
Posted By: Phoenix Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 2:17 am
OK thanks Howard
Posted By: CatFish Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 2:20 am
Originally Posted by Phoenix
I am confused, As a rookie,(as far as the show end) I thought you were looked down on for having a trailer queen.

The 4x4 vanners look down on the everybody! lol

Get it?? haha

I crack myself up. rofl
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 2:30 am
rofl
Posted By: CatFish Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 2:31 am
Seriously, there is a friction there. If, I say, if I trailered I'd miss that little smug feeling that I get from having all those dead bugs on the bumper and food wrappers in the floorboards.
Posted By: GreyBeardsGhost Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 2:39 am
That just means I owe you one or a dozen Catfish.

Thanks Howard for not letting me open that other can of worms without thinking.

I too had heard the rumor Phoenix stated. So that is some good information.

Bring the bus Catfish. You and Penny can sleep in my van, I'll sleep underneath it unless it is raining LOL.
Posted By: NateB Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 10:39 am
old Greyhound PD4501 Super Scenicruiser

You have one of these Catfish?? I love old buses. Can you send me some pics?

Sorry for the hijack...
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 10:44 am
I guess we are confused as the original question is missing.......
Posted By: vanatic05 Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:19 pm
The reason we pulled Court's mid was it was actually cheaper fro her on gas than it would have been to drive it..not to mention we were a little leary of making that long of a haul with it as everything seems to be running fine there is always that small concern so we took the doubt out and put it on a trailer.
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:28 pm
Gonna trailer it to Co?
Posted By: vanatic05 Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:34 pm
Originally Posted by DeeJaye
Gonna trailer it to Co?

No DJ..picking one up..besides Court will be back in school...
Posted By: CatFish Re: Trailering vs long haul - July 28th 2009 12:37 pm
No Nate I don't have one yet. There's one rumored to be sitting in a warehouse close to me. We've looked at old GMC's and MCI's but just haven't taken the plunge yet. One day soon.

Doc, the original question wasn't worth the trouble.

Sometimes I forget to be a clown.
© Vannin' Community and Forums