Vannin' Home
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 28th 2018 3:58 pm
I haven't.

[Linked Image]

THE OLD MOTOR
Posted By: CatFish Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 28th 2018 9:38 pm
I have. I've got a hat that looks just like hers.....

laugh
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 28th 2018 11:39 pm
Totally custom, mount a .50 cal in it and call it a day.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 28th 2018 11:56 pm
Seriously, there were a couple of companies made those for all 60's big three. They were called turtle tops no matter who made 'em.
Posted By: mrtoni Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 29th 2018 2:12 am
So that is not a turtletop. That was first called a calthorpe top and then came over and was used by big three as conversion from travel equipment corp in Indiana. Tec changed later to a straight up top with fabric skirt. Turtle top was separate company that was fiberglass
Posted By: mrtoni Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 29th 2018 2:13 am
https://bensbus.weebly.com/tec-camper-tops.html
Posted By: CatFish Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 29th 2018 3:49 am
Mr toni is right but, Dave if you ask an old timer if he's ever seen a TEC top on a van he'll said, "A what?"
But if you ask him if he's ever seen a turtle top on an early van he'll say, "Sure, they were around in the 60's."
In the day they were referred to genetically as a turtle top because of their appearance.

Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 29th 2018 9:03 pm
Originally Posted by CatFish
I have. I've got a hat that looks just like hers.....

laugh

I thought that was a lampshade.

Originally Posted by CatFish
Mr toni is right but, Dave if you ask an old timer if he's ever seen a TEC top on a van he'll said, "A what?"
But if you ask him if he's ever seen a turtle top on an early van he'll say, "Sure, they were around in the 60's."
In the day they were referred to genetically as a turtle top because of their appearance.

Got it. I likely would have thought it was home made.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Any of you ever seen a top like this? - October 29th 2018 9:04 pm
Never seen one of those lol
© Vannin' Community and Forums