Vannin' Home

doghouse opening engine bay

Posted By: Matman

doghouse opening engine bay - March 01st 2018 1:09 am

Hi, I don`t know what its called, I`m stripping out the old carpet and noticed this part was slightly broken.
Anyone know what its called and where I might find one. The other side piece is ok.
thanks.

Attached picture IMG_7602.JPG
Posted By: Magus

Re: doghouse opening engine bay - March 01st 2018 2:21 am

See if the other side is a mirror image, if so, use it as a template to make two new pieces. Only other way I would try, Maybe, a pick a part might have one.
Cardboard make a good template maker if needed.
I took my old piece to use as a template, and still came about an inch off.
Nothing is perfect.
It would be great if someone had doghouse templates in PDF. That we can
Up size in poster/multi page to make templates.
Unfortunately it seems a big secret to those that have been able to make such a thing.
Posted By: frscke1

Re: doghouse opening engine bay - March 01st 2018 3:41 am

Is that what the rubber dog house seal sits on ?

Re: doghouse opening engine bay - March 01st 2018 5:54 am

hI, yes and no.... NOT QUITE , if you look closer you`ll see its its only a few inches long and I think serves more as a locator for the engine cover to sit tight and maybe seal better round the corner.
they are not mirror image.
ps. I want a new front carpet made, does anyone have a pattern for a 1980 G10, I could prob get away with ripping out the old carpet and giving that to a trimmer, but it might come out in bits being so old.
Posted By: Scrojira

Re: doghouse opening engine bay - March 01st 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Matman
ps. I want a new front carpet made, does anyone have a pattern for a 1980 G10, I could prob get away with ripping out the old carpet and giving that to a trimmer, but it might come out in bits being so old.

Save yourself the headache and just buy one of these: 1978-1982 Chevrolet G10 Van Pass Area Cutpile Carpet

Re: doghouse opening engine bay - March 02nd 2018 4:05 am

cheers Scrojira, normally that would be the way to go, but the prev owner in L.A. fitted custom shag pile carpet front and back. I`m going to have to source similar carpet and also similar material for the front seats.

Attached picture carpet wear.jpg
Attached picture drivers seat.jpg
Posted By: Scrojira

Re: doghouse opening engine bay - March 02nd 2018 4:37 pm

OC's Essex carpet upgrade option looks very similar to what you've got. Get a sample from them, I bet it's pretty damn close.
© 2019 Vannin' Community and Forums