Vannin' Home
Posted By: Matman overhead console `80 G10 - November 02nd 2017 1:13 am
Hi, just thought I`d ask if anyone has fitted an o-head console to a seventies G10 chevy van. I want to fit one, timber, prob clear coat pine to match the table and drinkd tray I made.
I`m just looking for ideas, I think a cb and 8-track unit, down or map lights above driver and pass area.
probably need to fit some nice switches for whatever else.
I would appreciate it if someone could show me the best way to fit it, brackets? etc.
Any and all suggestions gratefully received
many thanks.......... cheers.
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 02nd 2017 1:26 am
Hi Matman.
I’m about to mount one in my ‘78.
I took it out of an ‘86 conversion van along with the rest of the custom interior.

It was surprising easy to take down with 6 screws. Two were Into metal 6 inches each side above the mirror. Two easy side on each end. It’s wrapped in cobalt blue crushed velor. It holds a working cobra C.B. and some gauges.

I pirated the diamond pleated roof, matching wheel cover boxes and captains chairs and sofa bed.

If you have a junk yard, most overheads are still in tact and in good shape.

I can send you photos if needed.
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 02nd 2017 1:30 am
I’ll add that my donor van also had a window visor. There was a small piece of wood the crews from the outside were driven into. This little block of wood also served as an anchor for the console too.

This was a factory conversion high top. Really cool to disassemble and see how they were made.
Posted By: Matman Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 02nd 2017 10:05 pm
Hi Letterman, love your tonite show....... just kidding ha,
that sounds great, a couple of pics would be great too, I dont seem to be able to post pics here, what about you?
if its easier my email is weematt@bigpond.com
cheers
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 02nd 2017 10:09 pm
That works.
I’ll send tomorrow.

We’re getting the new engine running this evening
Posted By: Matman Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 03rd 2017 5:24 am
pix of that too eh?
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 03rd 2017 11:30 am
Hey Matman.

Check your email.

I'll send photos and write up and link a video of the 406 over the weekend.

Cheers!
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 03rd 2017 11:49 am
Here are the photos for reference in the future.

[Linked Image]IMG_4697 (1) by Mike Duncan, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_4698 (1) by Mike Duncan, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_4699 (1) by Mike Duncan, on Flickr
Posted By: Matman Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 08th 2017 3:22 am
Hey, they are great, are u keeping the fabric or going to leather look?
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: overhead console `80 G10 - November 08th 2017 1:09 pm
Keeping the fabric to match the other interior parts and a softer feel.

I've been researching fabric paint to bring it back to original cobalt blue.
The door panels have not faded, but the chairs/sofa are about 20% lighter.
© Vannin' Community and Forums