Vannin' Home
Posted By: namezero111111 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 18th 2021 12:16 pm
Dear folks,

we recently acquired a '95 Vandura, and I was wondering if I should get a metric or imperial toolkit for on-the-road.
Also, since the fuel pump for the TBI is inside the gas tank, would it be wise to carry a spare electric?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: kursed Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 18th 2021 3:57 pm
I always get the Stanley socket sets in the plastic case for all my vehicles. They have standard and metric. Opt for one with deep well sockets too if you can.

A spare fuel pump isn't a bad idea, small enough to not take up too much room. Belts, coolant, oil would be my top three.
Posted By: kursed Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 18th 2021 6:02 pm
I forgot to add that GM did switch to metric fasteners sometime around 1978 though, just FYI.
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 19th 2021 2:46 am
Fuel pump change is not really a side of the road job unless you have an access panel over the tank.

I typically carry a belt, alternator, brake fluid, tire pump, a small trolley jack and now I bring an electric impact wrench with me. Usually some water and coolant too. Oh, and some bailing wire or other small wire.

1995 is one of the last years where pretty well all the bolts are standard although I have run into some metric in the dash stuff, or it may just be 10mm also fits. You will want some Torx bits or drivers in that kit though.
Posted By: kursed Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 19th 2021 4:04 am
Originally Posted by pontiac59
1995 is one of the last years where pretty well all the bolts are standard although I have run into some metric in the dash stuff, or it may just be 10mm also fits. You will want some Torx bits or drivers in that kit though.

I could have sworn I read an article somewhere not long ago about GM switching to metric around 1978. I remember it saying the Chevette was one of the first models for the switchover. Maybe you were using standard wrenches that fit on the metric bolts, I do that some too?
Posted By: tuner4life Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 23rd 2021 3:14 pm
My 1985 G20 has both metric and SAE hardware on it.. Never know what you're going to find lol
Posted By: Wedgy Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 23rd 2021 5:22 pm
Originally Posted by tuner4life
My 1985 G20 has both metric and SAE hardware on it.. Never know what you're going to find lol

Another mystery!
A mechanic here told me that on American made cars and foreign made cars, that use metric fasteners, one uses odd metric sizes and one uses even. I can't remember which is which though. Doph!
Posted By: samhain Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 23rd 2021 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by Wedgy
Originally Posted by tuner4life

Another mystery!
A mechanic here told me that on American made cars and foreign made cars, that use metric fasteners, one uses odd metric sizes and one uses even. I can't remember which is which though. Doph!

Interesting. I have worked on foreign cars with odd and domestic with even, never heard of/noticed that though.
Posted By: shaggy Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 24th 2021 9:56 am
I don't think that's true as 13mm is very close to 1/2" so is used widely on every vehicle I've had american/italian/british/korean/japanese.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 24th 2021 4:15 pm
I thought it was common knowledge that 80s and 90s era GM vehicles used mixed fasteners.
Posted By: pontiac59 Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 29th 2021 5:36 am
GM went to metric bolts on new body designs starting with the downsized 1977 cars, yes. But the engines continued to use SAE, again until they were redesigned.

The van body was largely unchanged from 1971-1996 and retains standard fasteners for body bolts. Some metric stuff begins to appear in the dash when they change to the last style about 1983, so they're mostly smaller fasteners.

So if you have an SAE toolkit and throw in a set of 5-14mm sockets you should be able to handle almost anything on there. There are some Torx screws also, 10, 15, 20 will handle most of those.

Conversions seem to use whatever the conversion outfitter had handy at the time.
Posted By: kursed Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - July 29th 2021 7:04 pm
Originally Posted by pontiac59
GM went to metric bolts on new body designs starting with the downsized 1977 cars, yes. But the engines continued to use SAE, again until they were redesigned.

The van body was largely unchanged from 1971-1996 and retains standard fasteners for body bolts. Some metric stuff begins to appear in the dash when they change to the last style about 1983, so they're mostly smaller fasteners.

So if you have an SAE toolkit and throw in a set of 5-14mm sockets you should be able to handle almost anything on there. There are some Torx screws also, 10, 15, 20 will handle most of those.

Conversions seem to use whatever the conversion outfitter had handy at the time.

Makes perfect sense. I tend to start with SAE on the old stuff and grab a metric if needed. The Torx is a good tip too, I always seem to be missing mine when I need them the most.
Posted By: namezero111111 Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - August 11th 2021 11:20 am
I have tinkered around over the last few weeks and can confirm that the original parts are metric. Here and there a bolt was replaced that then doesn't quite fit metric, so I suspect a mechanic used whatever was available then.
This confirms that GM switched over much earlier I guess.

Thank you :}
Posted By: NateB Re: 1995 Vandura Toolset - August 11th 2021 5:16 pm
My 93 is a mish-mash of SAE and Metric. It drives me nuts. lol
© Vannin' Community and Forums