Vannin' Home
Posted By: visual800 What I did today.... - April 20th 2021 8:54 pm
Just kill me now! Wipers didnt work....replaced fuse, NOPE! Took wiper motor out. Im here to tell you now Im having seconds thoughts about putting it back in and just using a lot of rainx. I have never in my life cussed and screamed like I did taking this damn thing out. I found a youtube video on it and guy said unclip defroster going to floorboard and motor will drop out...BS! Fist off my def vent does not clip it is molded in with rest of duct work. Had to cut it off with a dremel tool and on top of that damn motor got hung on every wire under dash. I should have just removed the whole dash, took engine out, both doors off and dropped transmission, it would have been quicker......anyhoo, whats the chances its the whole motor or just the circuit board? 96 1 ton

Attached picture IMG_4820.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4821.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4822.jpg
Posted By: CatFish Re: What I did today.... - April 20th 2021 9:39 pm
The chances are about 99 out of 100 it's just the delay board. Common problem. The other chance is a bad switch. Leave the motor assembly in place.
You'll need to remove the dash cover and cluster and loosen the heat/ac controls to slide them over. You'll also need a small Torx male socket for the screws in the cover and some patience because it's tight. R&R the delay board only. The last one I did took about 2 hours and a couple of beers.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: What I did today.... - April 21st 2021 2:55 am
CatFish is right... as usual.

Those delay boards are problematic.
Sometimes they have cracked solder joints...
Sometimes the little feelers to the wheel start making poor contact (makes the wipers stop in random places).
I just repaired the one on my Suburban, but it's easily accessible on that vehicle.

Working on stuff behind our dashes sucks.
It's as if they put the dashboard area together first, then built the rest of the van around it.
(A heater core replacement is a bear of a job, too.)
Posted By: erob914 Re: What I did today.... - April 23rd 2021 3:23 pm
If its a cracked solder joint you can just reflow the solder at the offending contact. Sometimes the crack is hard to see. All the ones I have seen have been where the electrical connector is soldered to the board. the crack will be circular around the pin .
© Vannin' Community and Forums