Vannin' Home
Posted By: COE '90's G-series van info ?? - June 08th 2020 1:00 pm
I have a COE cab I want to put on a '90's GM van chassis. Because of the steering angle a van front end with a vertical steering box would seem to be the way to go. However I'm not familiar with GM vans so have a few questions that can hopefully be answered here.
- do the vans have a chassis that the body is bolted to or are they a welded "unibody"?
- what years have the steering box on the outside of the frame rail?
- if anyone has front chassis photos they can share it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 08th 2020 3:47 pm
Unibody with front frame rails from the front doors forward. Fords are body on frame. Don’t know about steering boxes
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 08th 2020 5:01 pm
The later GM vans ('96 +), the Express and Savana are body on frame, but as Deathorvictory said, the G vans are unibody.
Posted By: COE Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 08th 2020 11:22 pm
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
The later GM vans ('96 +), the Express and Savana are body on frame, but as Deathorvictory said, the G vans are unibody.

Are the 96+ models rack and pinion or would they still have a steering box ??

Would the front clip from an earlier unibody just unbolt from the body or is that clip welded in.

There are a number of these in wreckers but the problem is they're all sitting on the ground so I can't get a look at the underside of any of them.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 6:47 am
'96 to 2002 had a steering box, then in 2003 they changed to rack and pinion.

I think the way the G vans are put together is that they have frame rails like a body on frame vehicle, but the body is welded to the frame rather than bolted on.
The frame rails just continue on into the engine area like they normally would, so there's no bolt-on sub-frame like on an early Camaro/Firebird.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 1:24 pm
Originally Posted by COE
Would the front clip from an earlier unibody just unbolt from the body or is that clip welded in.

There are a number of these in wreckers but the problem is they're all sitting on the ground so I can't get a look at the underside of any of them.

Take it from someone who has replaced the entire front of his van - EVERYTHING is welded in on a Chevy. 😂
Posted By: COE Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 1:49 pm
So '96 - '02 has a steering box.

All bodies are welded to the frame.

So the last question is: Which have the steering box on the outside of the frame rail?

One more: Will only the 1500 series have 5 - bolt wheels?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Posted By: Death or victory Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 4:33 pm
What about a Chevy van RV? Those are van cabs on a full frame.

Usually G10 and 20 were 5 on 5 lug, all G30 were 8 lug.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 5:25 pm
Originally Posted by COE
So '96 - '02 has a steering box.

All bodies are welded to the frame.

So the last question is: Which have the steering box on the outside of the frame rail?

One more: Will only the 1500 series have 5 - bolt wheels?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Just to be clear...
The '96 -'02 Express vans have standard body on frame (bolt on) construction.
It's the only the G-series vans that are welded.
Chevy vans were 5x5 bolt pattern (G-10, G-20, and Express 1500) until 2003.

I don't know about the steering boxes.
I can take a look at my '92 here in a bit, but I don't have any access to an Express.
Posted By: shaggy Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 5:33 pm
The front suspension subframe is bolted on and removable.
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 8:59 pm
Shaggy, you're referring to the cross-member, right?
Yes, the cross-member bolts to the frame rails, but the frame rails don't bolt on.

I made this statement earlier...
"96 to 2002 had a steering box, then in 2003 they changed to rack and pinion."
But... they only went to rack and pinion on the 1500s. The 2500s kept the box.
I guess you learn something every day. LOL

I was able to go peek at my van's steering...
The steering box on my '92 is outside the frame rails.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 09th 2020 9:44 pm
SO are both of mine ...
Posted By: COE Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 10th 2020 1:41 am
I need the 95 and earlier with the steering box on the outside of the rail because that frame is narrower and close to what the COE frame width was. This is important in order to keep the frame tucked inside the inner fender skirts. I want to stick with a 1500 series because of the weight. I'm not building a car hauler so don't need the heavy duty and added weight of a 2500 or 3500 (I already have one of ach of those but they're pickups and I'm trying to simplify the steering issue.

So how common are these older units down south in wreckers? Up here they're driven till they rot then go to the wreckers where they rot some more !!
Posted By: CatFish Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 10th 2020 2:13 am
You did understand that the '95 and earlier are unibody design? shocked
Posted By: COE Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - June 10th 2020 2:53 am
Originally Posted by CatFish
You did understand that the '95 and earlier are unibody design? shocked

My understanding is there is a front "clip" but its welded into frame rails to which the body is then welded to. So it can be cut off from the rails and is then a standalone clip with front steering and suspension. I'd build the frame from there back.

Using the truck frame and swapping van steering parts is something I've thought about but haven't pursued. If I could find an early van to look at and take some measurements it might be an option.
Posted By: CatFish Re: '90's G-series van info ?? - February 21st 2021 8:56 pm
Check out a S10 pickup extended cab chassis. I believe it will check all your boxes....

Just my 2%...
© Vannin' Community and Forums