Vannin' Home
Posted By: GRUGVan Interchangeable parts? - October 17th 2019 12:22 am
Im in need of some help I have uploaded a video to explain better https://youtu.be/6q6PLZFnAUI
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Interchangeable parts? - October 17th 2019 1:58 am
There are two different sizes of glass for these vans.

Yours looks like one of the "newer" style that is held into the frame using glue and uses external and internal trim rings, which is a little bit larger than the gasket-type.

If you can get all that crap out of there and your windshield frame sheet metal isn't rusted all to hell, clean it up with a wire wheel, re-seal all the seams in the bottom corners and replace it with the smaller glass (windshield # 853) and a quality rubber seal.

There are a lot of them them on the market, some good and some garbage. After trying a few, I've found that the only one worth using is two-piece seal made by Precision Premium Automotive, part # WCR-853. The locking key strip that presses into the center is part # WLS-466.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GRUGVan Re: Interchangeable parts? - October 24th 2019 1:21 am
So would all Third generation (1971–1995) windshields work? even GMC and some C/K series trucks? Still not sure on "newer" as there are several vans down at the junkyard I can pull from ranging from 70's to 80's, Assuming I don't destroy the one I pulling from with a wire saw.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Interchangeable parts? - October 24th 2019 2:01 am
You can tell them apart by using your eyes.

If the glass uses a big rubber seal similar to mine, it's the smaller size glass. If is uses external molding held together by clips in the center, it's the slightly arger style.

Pickup truck glass will not fit your van.

Why not just buy a new windshield & seal? Any good glass guy can easily get that stuff for you.
© Vannin' Community and Forums