Vannin' Home
Posted By: gritboyweir Stock Leaf Spring Replacements - August 27th 2019 9:45 pm
Hi there,
I have a 1991 G10 and I like to carry a motorbike on a hitch carrier but the springs are sad (even after insalling a Hellwig) so I want to replace them.
I can readily find springs with a code 22-449 that are heavier duty than the manual says mine are (new ones are 2100 pounds vs mine are something like 1600) - and since they are newer they should be better anyway. The problem is I want to maintain stock ride height and according to the manual the new ones have a 5 & 3/8ths arch vs 4 3 8ths arch on the originals (I think).

Basically - I want stock height but with extra beef = say 30-50% firmer than stock for a G10 1/2 tonner.

Does anyone know where I can get stock height + extra beef?

Thanks a lot for the help
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Stock Leaf Spring Replacements - August 27th 2019 10:28 pm
While i believe the correct leafs for the load will handle the best, when the load is changing then loads outside that ideal sacrifice handling.

I use firestone ride rite bags to dial in ride height for the load and use more psi drivers side than passenger to do so.

Riders in the back say it is quite bouncy, but I rarely have passengers.
Posted By: gritboyweir Re: Stock Leaf Spring Replacements - August 28th 2019 4:49 am
Thanks a lot for the thought - I tried airbags - I bought a set and paid a shop to install them - they messed it up and they were immediately ruined so I lost confidence in them. Can you tell me what model and who installed?

Also I guess I'd consider stock but I can't even find them.
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Stock Leaf Spring Replacements - August 29th 2019 12:19 am
My firestone ride rite airbag kit is for a dodge, so its part number is irrelevant to you.

I installed them myself in October 2007 and they have been problem free, although the original airbags has a slow leak but all was quickly made good by Summitt.

I did buy after market airhose and air fittings rather than use what the kit provided, and took some extra heatshielding precautions regarding the nearby exhaust pipe on driver's side.
Posted By: Reed Re: Stock Leaf Spring Replacements - August 29th 2019 12:25 am
Rockauto has new Dayton rear leaf springs for a 91 G10 in two ratings. 1600 or 2100 pounds per spring. A few years back I put new rear leaf springs on muy 89 E150. I went with the highest rated spring for a half ton because the van has a heavy conversion in it and I regularly load it up with three adults and a weekend's worth of luggage. Upgrading to the new stronger springs gave better handling and a better ride.
© Vannin' Community and Forums