Vannin' Home
Posted By: MXDUDE Scan Tools - July 08th 2019 7:03 pm
So I have read multiple fourms that indicate a good scan tool can really help you see what the ECM is seeing.... Gonna break down and get one... What are you guys using? I dont want just a standard OBD scanner that blinks the check engine light. What im looking for is something that will give me some "real-time" LIVE data. Any suggestions? Ballin on a budject here so keep your Snap-on reviews please. Wont help me.... If it matters im working on a 350 sbc TBI
Posted By: Reed Re: Scan Tools - July 08th 2019 7:22 pm
What year? For pre-OBD vehicles (1995 and older) I use an OTC 2000 with the right cartridge for the vehicle. You cna get these pretty cheap on eBay. After 1996 you pretty much have to get a brand-specific tool. For GMs that is the Tech2 scan tool. The problem is cost. A true Tech2 tool runs $1200-$1800 USED. You can buy the Chinese knockoff Tech2 tool on Amazon or Ebay for $250-$400. I bought the Chinese knockoff to work on my sister's 03 Buick. It lasted about a month (or five uses) before dying. I am still ticked off that I spent $400 on a tool that worked five times before dying.
Posted By: MXDUDE Re: Scan Tools - July 09th 2019 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by Reed
What year? For pre-OBD vehicles (1995 and older) I use an OTC 2000 with the right cartridge for the vehicle. You cna get these pretty cheap on eBay. After 1996 you pretty much have to get a brand-specific tool. For GMs that is the Tech2 scan tool. The problem is cost. A true Tech2 tool runs $1200-$1800 USED. You can buy the Chinese knockoff Tech2 tool on Amazon or Ebay for $250-$400. I bought the Chinese knockoff to work on my sister's 03 Buick. It lasted about a month (or five uses) before dying. I am still ticked off that I spent $400 on a tool that worked five times before dying.

1995 G30 is what im working on. Was kinda hoping for one that would do OBD1 and OBD2. I have seen some online for around $250, but unsure on quality... I would be pissed too!
Posted By: kursed Re: Scan Tools - July 10th 2019 1:20 pm
I'm using "BlueDriver" with an Android phone and LOVE it so far! It's simple and connects every time easily via bluetooth. Has TONS of readouts and options. I've been using it on the 14 Civic and the 2000 Astro so far, will eventually use it on the 2000 Jeep XJ as well. It's $100 on Amazon which is the cheapest I've found it, but I've tried multiple plug in units and several other bluetooth units, and nothing else compares to this one. I can mount my phone on the dash and read all the info real time sitting in the driveway or riding passenger down the road while my wife drives it.

Amazon Link

https://www.bluedriver.com/products/bluedriver-scan-tool

Posted By: MXDUDE Re: Scan Tools - July 10th 2019 4:47 pm
Originally Posted by kursed
I'm using "BlueDriver" with an Android phone and LOVE it so far! It's simple and connects every time easily via bluetooth. Has TONS of readouts and options. I've been using it on the 14 Civic and the 2000 Astro so far, will eventually use it on the 2000 Jeep XJ as well. It's $100 on Amazon which is the cheapest I've found it, but I've tried multiple plug in units and several other bluetooth units, and nothing else compares to this one. I can mount my phone on the dash and read all the info real time sitting in the driveway or riding passenger down the road while my wife drives it.

Amazon Link

https://www.bluedriver.com/products/bluedriver-scan-tool

That looks and sounds awesome! Great price too. From the looks of it though, it only does OBD2 (newer than 96). Is that right?
Posted By: kursed Re: Scan Tools - July 11th 2019 1:39 am
Originally Posted by MXDUDE

That looks and sounds awesome! Great price too. From the looks of it though, it only does OBD2 (newer than 96). Is that right?

I believe so. That's what I mess with the most as far as scanning goes. I don't fool with any of the other precursors to OBD2. Either carbed pre-computer or OBD2 and later.
© Vannin' Community and Forums