Vannin' Home
Posted By: Scrojira Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 5:57 pm
My doors all need new lock cylinders because they're either missing, broken or I don't have the key and I'm a little confused over which ones I actually need.

The one installed in my passenger side door has a short cylinder like this one: AC Delco 89056783

but someone told me that the slider and rear door may need the long cylinder version like this: AC Delco 89056752

Any truth to this or are they all the same?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 6:16 pm
Id pull the ones to be replaced mark where they came from, take those to the store ....
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 6:29 pm
That's the problem, I don't have all of them.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 6:35 pm
Which one you missin ?
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 6:43 pm
Driver side and slider. The one in the rear door is a short cylinder and I think it's wrong because it doesn't actuate the lock.
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 7:28 pm
Originally Posted by Scrojira
Driver side and slider. The one in the rear door is a short cylinder and I think it's wrong because it doesn't actuate the lock.

.I had to get an ignition key made for my B250 when I brought it back from Van Diego. If you want matching keys you could: get all the cylinders out of a GVan at the Boneyard. Take them down to Lynn's Locksmith in El Cajon. 619 447 7332.

I say all, because all of the tumblers inside the lock cylinder must be present. Save yourself a trip. I was lucky mine was a Dodge, so I could get the ignition key from a lock cylinder.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 7:39 pm
The two locks I have are all janked up so I'm just going to replace them.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 10:11 pm
Yes the rear door is a long one. Cant answer the slider question as I dont have one to go look at.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 04th 2018 11:13 pm
That's what I thought, which probably explains why the short one that came with the door doesn't do anything. Im pretty sure the slider takes a long cylinder lock too.
Posted By: bedbuggin Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 05th 2018 5:10 am
Just bought all new locks off ebay. The only one that is different is the rear door. The rear door is the longer one.
Posted By: bedbuggin Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 05th 2018 5:10 am
Just bought all new locks off ebay. The only one that is different is the rear door. The rear door is the longer one.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 05th 2018 9:23 pm
Originally Posted by Wedgy

I had to get an ignition key made for my B250 when I brought it back from Van Diego. If you want matching keys you could: get all the cylinders out of a GVan at the Boneyard. Take them down to Lynn's Locksmith in El Cajon. 619 447 7332.

I say all, because all of the tumblers inside the lock cylinder must be present. Save yourself a trip. I was lucky mine was a Dodge, so I could get the ignition key from a lock cylinder.

I may end up just doing this to avoid having three different door keys. Those GM lock cylinders are plentiful at PYP.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 07th 2018 12:43 pm
You can re-key them on your own if you are good with working with small parts. Take a spare junk yard lock cylinder apart sometime and make yourself familiar with how the tumblers work and fit. Also the little springs.. The tumblers are all numbered. Once you are comfortable taking them apart and putting them back together, then take apart one of the existing cylinders that you want to keep and write down the numbers and order from each of the tumblers. Then if you get a handful of spare cylinders from the junk yard, you should be able to come up with the correct tumblers to set each cylinder up to match yours. It sounds pretty complicated, but if you are good with working with tiny parts, then it's pretty easy. I ended up re-doing almost all of mine a few years ago because they all had issues. It wasn't bad at all once I got the hang of it.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Chevy door lock cylinders - May 07th 2018 1:58 pm
I already have too much stuff to do to mess with crap like that. I'll gladly pay someone to re-key my locks!
© Vannin' Community and Forums