Vannin' Home
Posted By: BahamaBlue Fixing squeel/vibration from rear air - May 01st 2018 9:43 am
Factory rear-air unit in my van. Since I bought it, the rear air blower only comes on with the switch on the high/max setting. Usually it sequels like maybe bearings are bad or the fan impeller is rubbing something or imbalanced and vibrating.

Previous owner said he didn't know what the issue was but he would just switch it off and on a few times until it starts up without the bad noise. This works O.K. sometimes but eventually seems to start running bad again. I will get it running smooth (by switching off and on ) and then turn the radio up loud, then when i turn the radio down I notice the rear blower is acting up again. Lately I can't get it to smooth out by working the switch.

Thoughts on diagnosing?

demonstration of symptom;
Posted By: BigTime Re: Fixing squeel/vibration from rear air - May 01st 2018 10:53 am
hi BahamaBlue the same thing has happened on my van, what i found was if you loosen and remove the f/glass surround and re adjust it it will fix the problem i think the weight makes the whole unit move and hit the fan,
Posted By: BahamaBlue Re: Fixing squeel/vibration from rear air - May 02nd 2018 6:56 pm
thanks for the comment. i pulled the "surround" off and discovered the main problem. the motor is strapped in a cushion clamp, and it was clamped in such a position that at least one of the squirrel cages was rubbing the plenum. the surround and all of the body molding/trim pieces are all missing lots of screws and or cracked and damaged. someone must have got into the rear air conditioner, put it together wrong and gave up. i took some photographs which I will try to upload tonight

fan sounds good on high speed now but still not running on any of the other speeds, apparently this usually means a resistor is bad ( anyone know the physical location of the resistor? is it behind the switch on the dash? )

© Vannin' Community and Forums