Vannin' Home
Posted By: choppertom gm front fender change? - March 30th 2018 12:42 am
any one know what all is involved in changing out my front fenders on my vandura?ive got a junked 94 model and wanna swop them out ,my old ones are rusted out. I see a lote of spot welds ?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: gm front fender change? - March 30th 2018 1:06 am
YEP Drilling out all the spot welds is the only way ...
Posted By: pattherat Re: gm front fender change? - March 31st 2018 1:26 am
Anyone know the differences between 71-77, 78-82, 83-91 and 92-96 front fenders? I need to patch in the front lower portions on a 75 g10. Only the last 3 versions appear to be available here: http://www.nationalautobody.com/catalognab/index-m.php?cPath=7_709_1080
Posted By: Scrojira Re: gm front fender change? - March 31st 2018 6:37 pm
Hey Pat,

The grille mounts are really the only differences. I just replaced the fenders on my '78 with those from an '84. Allt the tabs were to get cut off anyway to retrofit my '76 grille & lights, so it was a non-issue in my case.

If you're not messing with the front part, you'll be ok using any fenders from '71-96.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: gm front fender change? - March 31st 2018 6:44 pm
To answer the OP's question, it is a LOT of work.

My windshield needed to come out to fix my driver side fender properly but if the top section of yours is okay, it can be cut just above the body line and you can leave the windshield frame intact. I needed a new windshield anyway...

Get yourself a good spot weld cutter set, like the Blair 11096. Use cutting oil and go slow, don't cut them dry or spin the drill too fast. Toward the end it was getting a little dull, but I used a single blade to remove all the spot welds from my van's fenders and the donor fenders.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: choppertom Re: gm front fender change? - April 01st 2018 3:51 am
wow ,thanks guys,the pictures really helps a bunch!
© Vannin' Community and Forums