Vannin' Home
Posted By: NateB Windshield Gaskets - March 26th 2018 2:22 pm
I have a 93 G20 and the windshield leaks. The windshield does not have a rubber gasket, but is sealed with urethane. My question is has anyone gone back to using a rubber gasket on their vans? Steele makes a new rubber gasket for 71-80 G-vans. Will the rubber gasket work on a 93?
Posted By: Scrojira Re: Windshield Gaskets - March 26th 2018 3:17 pm
I know a few people who have had trouble with the Steele gasket being too large for the glass. Also, I'm pretty sure Chevy windshields that glue in are a slightly different size than the ones the use a gasket.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Windshield Gaskets - March 26th 2018 5:07 pm
There are 2 types ... a glue in & a non glue in. need to make sure you have the right one..... send catfish a PM, he did a photo shoot when he replaced his.

Here is the thread that covers it ....

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/617407/1
Posted By: CatFish Re: Windshield Gaskets - March 26th 2018 6:35 pm
The sheet metal is the same. The glass is different so you'll need the correct glass for the gasket seal.
Be sure the surface area is cleaned and free of all the old sealer.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Windshield Gaskets - March 26th 2018 7:47 pm
According to my glass guy, they are interchangeable. My glass guy removed a glue-in windshield from my 1985 G20, and will be installing a new gasketed style windshield (hopefully) next week. Says he has done several like that with no issues.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Windshield Gaskets - March 26th 2018 8:08 pm
Originally Posted by tuner4life
According to my glass guy, they are interchangeable. My glass guy removed a glue-in windshield from my 1985 G20, and will be installing a new gasketed style windshield (hopefully) next week. Says he has done several like that with no issues.

Good luck. I hope it fits.
The PPG numbers are different. I went thru this before, it took three trips/appointments before they sent a guy that knew what the to do. He sent the glue-in glass back that the first guy had brought and reordered a windshield for a '78 model for my '94 so I could use the lock-in gasket.
Maybe there are different gaskets. The one I have is a PPG/GM part number.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Windshield Gaskets - March 26th 2018 10:41 pm
I spent over 20 years slaving in the hot PPG glass factories, sadly like most products, they have sold most of their U.S. glass factories to foreign interests, especially Mexico and the quality and specs of the windshields have went to crap. The last of their glass plants near Pittsburgh, PA was bought by a Mexican firm last year and is now being closed, and production being moved to south of the border. The last two windshields I had replaced in my Chevy's, I looked through approx. 10 windshields for each vehicle before finding one up to my quality standards. The guys at the windshield shop just stared in amazement when I was pointing out all the defects in the windshields. When we made the big windows for the skyscrapers, if you found a defective window it was put aside and eventually put in a crate of glass that was going on the 5th floor and above, where a person on the street looking in, wouldn't be able to see the defects. Shame and disgusting that a company that was once the largest glass company in the world and renowned for their quality at one time has come to present day substandard products.
© Vannin' Community and Forums