Vannin' Home
Posted By: nomadgames 78 g20 basic engine/other upgrades - January 02nd 2018 4:13 pm
Hey guys,

so I've pummeled my poor g20 over the last few months, 10k+ miles in about 2.5 months, incl a lot of fire roads. The suspension and steering are loose, the brakes need help, the ignition system needs help, and the van is underpowered for where i live anyway. so, I want to upgrade or at least rebuild the front suspension and steering, brakes all around, and the starting/ignition systems. It's currently 100% stock original.

I also want to do whatever bolt-on HP increases I can. I'd like to do an FI kit, but at least a Holley carb. Headers, valve covers? Def needs new valve cover gaskets. What else can I do to get some HP gains without an engine rebuild or swap?

so i'm looking for suggestions on what parts to get for all of the above.

thanks!
Posted By: shaggy Re: 78 g20 basic engine/other upgrades - January 02nd 2018 10:54 pm
I'm doing a steering suspension rebuild at the moment. It's in the Chevy How to section below.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: 78 g20 basic engine/other upgrades - January 03rd 2018 1:08 am
Originally Posted by nomadgames
Hey guys,

so I've pummeled my poor g20 over the last few months, 10k+ miles in about 2.5 months, incl a lot of fire roads. The suspension and steering are loose, the brakes need help, the ignition system needs help, and the van is underpowered for where i live anyway. so, I want to upgrade or at least rebuild the front suspension and steering, brakes all around, and the starting/ignition systems. It's currently 100% stock original.

I also want to do whatever bolt-on HP increases I can. I'd like to do an FI kit, but at least a Holley carb. Headers, valve covers? Def needs new valve cover gaskets. What else can I do to get some HP gains without an engine rebuild or swap?

so i'm looking for suggestions on what parts to get for all of the above.
thanks!

If it were mine.......
Good set of headers and thermal coat them.
2.25 inch headpipes into a good set of mufflers.(sound is subjective-but I'll say anything but Flowbastards).
Turn them out in front the rear wheel and put a set of Zoomies on it.

Ignition:
Factory HEI is fine. Just make sure it's up to spec. And has a decent curve in it-not the factory one.
Champion plugs.

Fuel system:

FI would be my choice and it would be a TPI system. Probably a Mega-Squirt. Throttle bodies are nothing but a really expensive carb. A MS system will allow you later down the road (if you wish) to go to a crank trigger & coil packs and get rid of your distributor altogether.

If not FI, then find a good Q-jet guy and have him build you a Q-jet tailored to your combination.

Edit: HEI- I'd get a points distributor and send it to www.davessmallbodyheis.com

Let Dave do his thing. Then you'd have the best of the HEI system without the bad which is the cap & coil set-up.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: 78 g20 basic engine/other upgrades - January 03rd 2018 1:19 am
thanks man, that's helpful.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: 78 g20 basic engine/other upgrades - January 03rd 2018 2:12 am
No worries.
© Vannin' Community and Forums