Vannin' Home
Posted By: nomadgames g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 4:59 am
hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading the engine in my van for more power. What do you guys suggest? It's late 70s G20 with a 350. I live in the Rockies and am using it as a daily driver, it's running really reliably, but as much I love the van, it's just really lacking in power and speed, even on flat roads, but especially on steep grades. What's the best bang for the buck option without sacrificing reliability? I'd love to throw a 454 in there, of course. or a Cummins diesel if it wasn't sacrilege and changing out every damn part in the engine bay.
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 1:04 pm
I had the same consideration after I bought my G20 last month. It has a 350 (had one anyways) and I did not want to reconfigure anything for more power. After looking at the title and seeing an empty weight of 6500 lbs (!) I decided to with torque instead of horsepower. I watched several videos of burnout competitions at van nationals. Most of the vans struggled to get the tires spinning even with a water puddle and dudes jumping on the bumper.

My Advice: Find your self a 406 (400) cubic inch small block.They made these from 1970 to 1980 when GM needed to get the heavy chevys (caprice) and Pontiac (Catalina, bonneville) off the line.
These 400's have the same bolt pattern for the motor mounts and everything including the exhaust manifolds are a direct bolt on.

These motors also ended up in the delivery box vans. This motor can be converted tomake a 383 stroker motor easily. In stock 2 barrel form, they made 265 HP. I ordered mine from Gearhead Engines with a mild cam, Performer intake, and a 650 4 barrel carb. Headers will come later once I find side pipes.

Do some research on line. When I get this beast on the road next week, I'll give you an update. After it's broken in, I'll post some tire smokin' dyno numbers.

Posted By: Lettercraft Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 1:14 pm
More info about the 400

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1112-406ci-small-block-chevy/
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 2:20 pm
good info, thanks!
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 3:27 pm
A 383 stroker is based on a 350 block with a 400 crank. Personally, I'd find a late model SBC with FI and do a swap.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 3:43 pm
Originally Posted by Hasan Ben Sobar
A 383 stroker is based on a 350 block with a 400 crank. Personally, I'd find a late model SBC with FI and do a swap.

I did think about doing a swap with a TBI engine. I had a 91 c1500 with the TBI 5.7 and that thing was great. I'm not super stoked on putting FI in a 78, though, kind of want to keep it carbed. although FI would help with all the altitude change I drive through on a regular basis.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 3:47 pm
Originally Posted by Lettercraft

$6000 for the engine? oof
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 3:56 pm
Originally Posted by nomadgames

I did think about doing a swap with a TBI engine. I had a 91 c1500 with the TBI 5.7 and that thing was great. I'm not super stoked on putting FI in a 78, though, kind of want to keep it carbed. although FI would help with all the altitude change I drive through on a regular basis.

TPI, not TBI. Throttle body injection is crap. Nice thing about the swap is the 4 speed auto that comes with it. Your altitude is why I suggested TPI.

Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 3:58 pm
I liked my TBI. easy to work on and reliable as hell. but i'm not an engine expert. I would like 4 speed, I currently have 3 speed.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 4:59 pm
Originally Posted by nomadgames

TPI, not TBI. Throttle body injection is crap. Nice thing about the swap is the 4 speed auto that comes with it. Your altitude is why I suggested TPI.

so if I went this route, what particular engines, FI systems, years, etc. would you suggest?
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 5:42 pm
First, where is the sump in your current oil pan? front or rear? if it's rear,the find a swap motor with the sump in the same place. It makes the swap a lot less aggravating. Let's assume for conversation it's rear and Chevy trucks also use a rear sump. Just find a mid-90's truck with a good motor and trans. You should be able to swap the whole enchilada-motor/ trans/harness. Plenty of how to articles floating around the net. A how to for the same year Chevy truck as your van should be near identical.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 6:15 pm
great, thanks
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 19th 2017 8:32 pm
The 400 I got was $2400 complete.
Same guy wants my 350 for $250.

[Linked Image]Engine by Mike Duncan, on Flickr
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 20th 2017 5:30 pm
sounds like he's running a good racket ;)
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 20th 2017 8:12 pm
Not sure what you mean.
I have the receipts for the engine and everything added to it.
I also registered it with Gearhead for the warrarnty with the casting numbers.

The guy asked me to bring the van by for a drive.
Have his home address and his phome number is on the add.

racket?, No.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 22nd 2017 10:26 pm
oh, i was just joking about selling for 2400 and buying for 250.
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 23rd 2017 12:11 am
No Worries.

I'll post a video when its running.

Cheers!
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 23rd 2017 5:47 pm
def interested in your report. I drove over some 10k'+ mountain passes in freezing temps this weekend and the van couldnt even do 40, so i'm about ready to make a change here.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 29th 2017 2:41 am
thoughts on an LS swap?
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 31st 2017 12:34 am
Originally Posted by Lettercraft
I had the same consideration after I bought my G20 last month. It has a 350 (had one anyways) and I did not want to reconfigure anything for more power. After looking at the title and seeing an empty weight of 6500 lbs (!) I decided to with torque instead of horsepower. I watched several videos of burnout competitions at van nationals. Most of the vans struggled to get the tires spinning even with a water puddle and dudes jumping on the bumper.

My Advice: Find your self a 406 (400) cubic inch small block.They made these from 1970 to 1980 when GM needed to get the heavy chevys (caprice) and Pontiac (Catalina, bonneville) off the line.
These 400's have the same bolt pattern for the motor mounts and everything including the exhaust manifolds are a direct bolt on.

These motors also ended up in the delivery box vans. This motor can be converted tomake a 383 stroker motor easily. In stock 2 barrel form, they made 265 HP. I ordered mine from Gearhead Engines with a mild cam, Performer intake, and a 650 4 barrel carb. Headers will come later once I find side pipes.

Do some research on line. When I get this beast on the road next week, I'll give you an update. After it's broken in, I'll post some tire smokin' dyno numbers.

so hows that new engine treating you?
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 31st 2017 1:52 am
I got sidetracked with redoing the air conditioning.
I should have the engine running by the end of the week.

I don’t know if anyone has tried to find an evaporator coil for a ‘78, but it’s impossible.
I have the original in to see if it can be repaired. Plan b is to buy one close, and weld the fittings from the old one.....
To be continued.
Posted By: nomadgames Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - October 31st 2017 4:29 pm
cool. just curious. looking more seriously into doing something with mine.
Posted By: Lettercraft Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - November 02nd 2017 10:11 pm
Ac working.
Engine is wired up and fired up.
Test drive tomorrow

Will post as soon as I can
Posted By: frscke1 Re: g20 engine upgrade options? - December 19th 2017 8:05 pm
I vote for a 454 ! lol
© Vannin' Community and Forums