Vannin' Home
Posted By: shaggy advice wanted - shocks + handling upgrade. - July 03rd 2017 2:35 pm
I’m looking at tightening up the handling on my van. It’s a '79 G30 with a camper conversion (weighs around 3350kg 7400lbs).
I doubt if any of the steering arms etc have been changed since it left the factory.
Has anyone any recommendations for what to replace?
I’m thinking of getting some new shocks too what would be good ones for this weight van? I have Monroe shocks on it at the moment and have airbags in the front springs.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: advice wanted - shocks + handling upgrade. - July 05th 2017 12:57 pm
When I did mine, I just went through and replaced every "wear item" that was available. Ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, pitman arm, idler arm, wheel bearings, coil springs, shocks, etc.. the works. You'll get a better idea of what it needs once you take it apart, but at this point if all of the parts are truly close to 40 years old, it's a good idea to replace them even of they seem ok.. Especially the rubber pieces.

As for shocks, I went with Bilsteins and havent looked back. They are noticeably better than most of the others I've found. Keep the airbags though for extra load capacity.
Posted By: shaggy Re: advice wanted - shocks + handling upgrade. - July 06th 2017 9:33 am
Cheers tuner, smile
Posted By: VanSolo Re: advice wanted - shocks + handling upgrade. - July 14th 2017 5:32 pm
Do you have a sway bar?
Posted By: shaggy Re: advice wanted - shocks + handling upgrade. - July 16th 2017 7:09 pm
Yep front and rear ... I fitted a Helwig on the rear a while back.
© Vannin' Community and Forums