Vannin' Home
Posted By: dustyclark87 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - May 12th 2017 11:52 pm
Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right spot for this thread but had a question about weatherstripping. I bought some brand new weatherstripping off the LMC truck website for my driver and passenger doors since the old weatherstripping had holes in it and I wanted to try to cut down on some wind noise. Well after I installed it I really wish I wouldn't have messed with it. They are super hard and I have a real hard time closing my doors and I even adjusted the strikers so they had a little slack until the new stuff breaks in. I did this in January and it now May and they still haven't seemed to break in at all. Now my doors stick out a little even when latched and it looks like crap. Also feels like I have to slam them super hard to get them to latch. I've read online sometimes these things take awhile to break in but I'm getting sick of waiting. Does anyone know if somebody makes a SOFT replacement weatherstripping for older Chevy vans? LMC didn't have any options other than the stuff I bought and didn't know if there was something else out there that I can try before I end up breaking my windows.. Thanks for any help..

Dusty
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - May 13th 2017 2:00 am
That is the correct strippin .... close the doors tight & put it out in the sun. The rubber will conform to the door.

So far its been cold where your at so thats why its not molding. Ive done both my vans & had to the same thing .... put it out in the sun
Originally Posted by frscke1
That is the correct strippin .... close the doors tight & put it out in the sun. The rubber will conform to the door.
So far its been cold where your at so thats why its not molding. Ive done both my vans & had to the same thing .... put it out in the sun

Thanks for the reply! That is definitely good to hear. We are finally hitting the 80's and even 90's this week so I'm going to leave it sit out in the sun for a few days instead of parking it in the garage. About how long did they take to finally mold right? I still have a heck of a gap at the bottoms of the doors and my door handle on the inside has decided to keep falling off from slamming it so hard constantly. It's a freakin' headache and also an eye sore. Hoping its a quick process once it warms up good.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - May 16th 2017 1:29 am
Varies on the temp .... The '92 was a month or so 3 yrs ago. In line Collision just did the '93 , Ive been by a week ago & the doors close to the factory feel. There is still some resistance but hey feel WAY better than what I had. No more slamming .... just a click.
Posted By: dustyclark87 Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - August 05th 2017 2:20 am
We are now to August, had extremely warm weather and my doors are still terrible. Tried adjusting the latch every which way, and still have to SLAM the doors to get them to shut. I know they are in right because the little knubs wouldn't line up right if in wrong. I'm kind of at whit's end with them, as now plastic pieces around my windows are starting to fall off from having to slam them so hard. Any other brands or ideas of what to do? Really wish I wouldn't have touched the old stripping. =(
Posted By: nikothenomad Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - August 05th 2017 4:27 pm
Wish you luck with this and will be keeping an eye out for how it goes as I was thinking about doing mine soon but I don't need any more trouble closing them that's for sure!
Posted By: dustyclark87 Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - August 06th 2017 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by nikothenomad
Wish you luck with this and will be keeping an eye out for how it goes as I was thinking about doing mine soon but I don't need any more trouble closing them that's for sure!

Yeah my old ones were rotted and i wanted to cut down on noise inside the cabin so figured this would help a lot but really there is no difference in noise and they didn't leak water so if I could have a rewind button I would most def go back in time and not have even touched them. Seems like I'm the only one having this much trouble. I forgot to mention I've actually had the window lever fall off now several times for the hard slamming of doors. I can't find any other brands other than on the LMC site and since I can't really "hurt" anything I'm about ready to get a razor and cut them down a little. Worst case scenario I gotta buy another set. So frustrating...
Posted By: Lionvan Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - August 07th 2017 1:34 am
I could have. Written that same story at the same time. Its just my side and back doors. I didn't do the fronts. I got mine from Rock Auto.
Posted By: BigTime Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - August 07th 2017 10:38 am
glad i read this i was just about to pull the trigger on a set! will do other thing's first, ,thank's very interesting
Posted By: Greenstreak Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - August 08th 2017 1:07 am
My driver and passenger side door seals are pretty much non existent at this point but somehow the car doesn't take on water. This thread has me second guessing buying new seals at this point. haha
Posted By: whyitsdone Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - November 20th 2017 8:28 am
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but have you had any luck since? I recently bought a 79' that had no weatherstripping on the slider door but came with a brand new one (LMC I do believe) and its terrible. The door is extremely hard to shut and the stripping is literally bulging out. It just seems way too thick. Any tips?
Posted By: shaggy Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - November 20th 2017 10:52 am
The problem is your old weatherstripping was squashed flat over the years your new weatherstripping is fresh fat and bouncy. You will need to re-align your door and then it will be all good.
Posted By: Notlepats Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - September 06th 2019 3:52 pm
Also reviving an old thread to say I had the exact same problem with LMC. For anyone reading looking to buy weatherstripping, buy from Steele Rubber instead I didn't have a problem with those. My dad had the same problem with his 71 chevy truck weather stripping. LMC's just pushed the doors way too far out of alignment.
Posted By: Scrojira Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - September 08th 2019 3:03 pm
I'm going to second that. LMC's weatherstripping is garbage.

After a year, I still need to slam all my doors with Hulk force just to get them to close. Now my front window regulators rattle like crazy and my passenger side window pops out of the vertical run channel as a result of all the door slamming.

Total waste of time and money.
Posted By: Lionvan Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - September 08th 2019 7:26 pm
I solved that problem this summer. I bought .75x.75 hollow.foam from Amazon. It's soft and.has tape attached.
Scratched up with a sanding.pad,wiped it off with lacquer thinner.Put it on didn't open th doors for 2days .
My doors work good shut way better and don't leak. At first glance you'd never notice. I did the side doors.if.you have the old rubber cut the little ends.off where the doors meet and glue them on. It's been a About three months and that stuff ain't coming off. Buy the one with red backed tape,it's best. I didn't cause I didn't notice the option. But even this cheap tape is stuck good. A 25 foot roll will do your side doors with about 2 feet left over.
Posted By: Lionvan Re: 82 G10 doors and weatherstripping question.. - September 08th 2019 7:29 pm
I didn't want adjust the doors because of the paint.
© Vannin' Community and Forums