Vannin' Home
Posted By: 33films chevy side pipe questions - May 21st 2012 4:34 pm
I'm going to get the patriots from Jc Whitney. There are duels that exit out behind the wheel now and the cats are gone. In Alabama i don't have to have them. So that's not a big deal. I have some questions

Not sure what size to get if i want to run the whole length of my chevy shorty.
Also they are mufflers themselves right?
is it ok to mount them for show and not hook them up and cut the rear pipes further back?

any other tips for doing this?
thanks

Posted By: SaabGuy Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 21st 2012 4:50 pm
A lot of people will hook them up right behind the front doors. If you are just going for the look get some lake pipes. They are cheaper. If you are going to have real side pipes might as well use them. And, yes, they are mufflers. Kind of on the loud side, but that boils down to personal taste. Side pipes sometimes get a little annoying cruising down the highway with the windows down. I personally love loud exhaust and just deal with the cruising drone. It makes up for it full throttle going through a tunnel or between buildings.
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 21st 2012 4:52 pm
One more thing... Try to get 2 1/2" inlets. 2 1/4" is a little small for a small block Chevy.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 21st 2012 5:32 pm
Ditto, hook em up. They sell all different lengths of them, measure the rocker on the van and order accordingly.
Posted By: tide Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 21st 2012 7:01 pm
hook em up
Posted By: tide Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 3:48 am
If you are buying side pipes from JC Whitney use this promo code DJGN746 for $15 of a purchase of 100 or more ($45 of for purchases of 300 or more).
Posted By: River_Rat Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 4:50 am
I bought mine from speedway motors.com for 242.00 and they came in 2 days later. I got the 60" and mounted the inlet elbow straight under where the door meets the slide door. I have the long wheel base. They are not that loud. More quiet than the single cherry bomb i had on it before.
Posted By: Munz Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 4:50 am
You want them to go from wheel to wheel for the best look. I have seen people cut a hole in the back of the side pipe and run their muffled exhaust into the side pipe, it's quieter and if you plan on driving it a lot it will rot out in the collector area but they do sound cool. Here is a shot of mine from the 80's but they rotted out so I took them off but if I were to get another set I would hook them up because in the 80's this was my daily driver...............no more
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 5:27 am
Hey Munz, what is on your roof in the rear by the spoiler?
Posted By: Busykiwi Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 7:41 am
You can also get kits that divert the exhaust at a flick of a switch, so you can run the pipes and a normal exhaust and switch between them.
A lot of street/strip cars use this method to keep the car noise level legal
Posted By: wookee Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 1:59 pm
The biggest issue with hooking up a set of side pipes is routing the pipes to them.
Running stock exhaust is not to bad.You will still have to have a couple of turns bent up.
Long tube header require you to have a set of U turns bent up.

I have to agree they look the best when they are as long as the bottom of the rocker panel.

[Linked Image]

.......Wookee

Posted By: Bikertrash00 Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 2:35 pm
I put the Patriot 73" on mine, stock manifolds but I did have them do opposite sides (driver feeds passenger side) and also had them bring the pipes back to the crossmember this was all to try and control the heat as much as I could. They are 2" inlet and pipe (no mandrel bends, etc) so it does strangle my small block a little.
Posted By: soundhd Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 2:55 pm
Along the side exhaust systems are cool to look at but....
problems to be aware of
Safety issue....they get very hot and can cause burns on your legs, etc....unless they have a heat shield of some sort..
Can discolor and if cheaply made corrode/rust, etc...
They will get damged, dented, scratched by rocks, etc...from the tires.....
I would suggest going to a custom exhaust shop in your area (ask the hot rodder's they all know where they are) and have a custom system made to exhaust out the side instead of along the side...I suggest going with stainless. Will last forever.
I went that route....looks and works great...
(again just another opinion)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Galaxy Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 3:40 pm
Some guys just install sidepipes for show. This is how Bryce did it on his van.
(note the exhuast behind the wheel)

[Linked Image]

I personally like how they sound, so I would hook them up. Here are a couple pictures of vans with sidepipes. Note the different lengths. I think the full side looks the best.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 33films Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 22nd 2012 5:36 pm
thanks guys, after doing the measurements and noticing where the other exhaust started after an o2 sensor i ordered the 60" in. should look very similiar to the black with flames van.
Posted By: Munz Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 23rd 2012 9:04 pm

That is a roof rack that I installed along with the norcal wing, instead of using the rear portion I drilled holes in the norcal wing and ran the roof rack rails into it.
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 24th 2012 1:27 am
Originally Posted by Munz

That is a roof rack that I installed along with the norcal wing, instead of using the rear portion I drilled holes in the norcal wing and ran the roof rack rails into it.

Cool idea. I can see that now. I was a little confused before. Thanks for clearing it up. Definitely a cool look.
Posted By: wookee Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 24th 2012 2:05 pm
The clean rack less look,looks way better.....

......Wookee
Posted By: Bryce Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 31st 2012 1:58 am
I would hook my sidepipes up in a second if I could, but not legal here. They would get hot and might be annoying on long trips, but I love the sound. Even though mine are not hooked up they still rot out anyway, so I say go for it. Just start saving up for the next set.
Posted By: vanfun Re: chevy side pipe questions - May 31st 2012 3:42 am
Had them on my 76 Ford shorty. Absoluty friggin loved them, the sound looks and all. Now I will tell you the first thing I warned anybody about when getting in was "watch the pipes!" I will have them again. bow to sidepipes! lol
Posted By: 33films Re: chevy side pipe questions - June 03rd 2012 9:35 pm
I got mine installed. not hooked up yet though
Posted By: Jim Dutchman Re: chevy side pipe questions - June 03rd 2012 11:09 pm
I ran a separate exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers cut out the back of the side pipe and ran it out there . to me they sound and look like they are hooked up. I also took the muffler out of the side pipe and filled them with spray foam insulation .my buddy tom did the same thing and his pipes are at least 10 years old no rusting on the collectors.he was putting new pipes on every 3 to 4 years before he did it that way .
Posted By: jjames Re: chevy side pipe questions - June 14th 2012 1:21 pm
i've got some patriot siepipes, the shielded type. the problem is the glasspacs kept burning out. after 6-8 months or so, they begin to sound like a straight pipe at lower rpms. they sound great new.
Posted By: phils Re: chevy side pipe questions - July 24th 2012 2:54 pm
This will probably be my first improvement to my van. After reading this post I see the alternatives as

1) Buy a set of side pipes and fit & use (will have to ship them)
2) Replicate side pipes look with tubing
3) Buy a set of side pipes and cut hole in back and route original exhaust through (will have to ship them)

Just spoke with my local exhaust shop. He builds custom exhaust all in stainless steel. So he says he can bring the pipes out from the back of the cat and to the sides at what ever length I want down each side..

I'm thinking in the long run the expense would be worth it as he uses nothing but stainless steel.

But should I make then the full length of the boards. I have a LWB (146in) g30 so that’s quite long? Im thinking maybe start from just behind the doors?

Is there anything I should be asking him that im missing?
Posted By: Bryce Re: chevy side pipe questions - July 25th 2012 1:51 am
Another option stacks Mounted like sidepipes. Some have heatshields, and may be long enough for even a 146" WB van.

It's kind of what I have, but mine are only for show, not hooked to the exhaust.
Posted By: Pat ALTRUK Re: chevy side pipe questions - April 01st 2015 7:06 pm
Hey All:

Just bought a set of 73"patriot 4 into one side pipes for my 79 Chevy van, Was wondering how you guys bolted/attached the pipes to the van body. Just want to make sure I do it the correct way. Photos helpful if possible.

Will be running separate exhaust with Flowmaster's with a turned pipe, cutting a hole in the back of the pipes and running through, like Jim Dutchman's van.
Posted By: shaggy Re: chevy side pipe questions - April 01st 2015 10:04 pm
There are places that stock sidepipes in the UK.

http://www.americanmotorfactors.com/contents/en-uk/d110_Side_exhaust_Pipes_With_Shield.html

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/topic/patriot-sidepipes-24915

I found a set of stacks for cheap on ebay and used them.

Posted By: ArcticWolf Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 11th 2020 2:40 am
I have a question for everyone that can wants to help by answering, I was thinking of getting header side pipes for a 1967 corvette as they by what research I have found are roughly the same width as a van. Yes I know a van is technically wider but I am referring to where they would mount along the side of the van, could be wrong but was curious to see if anyone has tried this and if it would work or would I need to modify them to work?
Posted By: Death or victory Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 11th 2020 5:46 am
There’s tons of options to put side pipes on a van, maybe share a photo of what look you’re trying to achieve and others that have experience with this can chime in
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 11th 2020 11:40 am
The only problem with the real corvette side pipe header combo is the actual height of the header itself, you may have to add some to the primary tubes.but with a early Chevy van the headers will be a snap to install.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 11th 2020 11:43 am
But I have installed quite a few sets of patriot side pipes and have them on my Astro and 85 b150, they definitely improve the look.
Posted By: Russ87_G_20 Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 11th 2020 5:24 pm
I have patriot side pipes with headman headers. I love em. Wish they were a little louder though.
Posted By: Death or victory Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 11th 2020 5:40 pm
FWIW, when I put patriots on my Chevy, I bought the 80” because I had a lwb van. Fit perfectly but we’re quieter than when I brought it in. It’s essentially a super long muffler so I just took that out, had the shop weld in a section of straight pipe and then a short 12” glass pack near the end of each side. These were with hooker headers and boy did it wake the sound right up.
Posted By: NEmery Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 12th 2020 6:33 pm
Originally Posted by ArcticWolf
I have a question for everyone that can wants to help by answering, I was thinking of getting header side pipes for a 1967 corvette as they by what research I have found are roughly the same width as a van. Yes I know a van is technically wider but I am referring to where they would mount along the side of the van, could be wrong but was curious to see if anyone has tried this and if it would work or would I need to modify them to work?

I think the STOCK side exhaust for 67 came off a rams horn manifold and then the pipe made a bend toward the rocker panel and then was basically a chambered pipe type muffler (like the GMMG muffler) that ran along the side with a cover. However, I know there are headers available that have the collector pushed all the way out to run parallel with the rockers and a side exhaust can bolt directly to those collectors. Are these headers what you are wanting to run? if so, a 3rd gen chevy van is about 10" wider than the vette so I would assume you would have to cut them and weld extensions into each pipe to move that collector outboard to match up with the van rocker. I would find a C2 vette and measure the width at the rockers and then measure the width of your van to get an idea of the difference. also, I know that people use 2nd Gen F body headers on vans a bit, but I don't think I have ever heard of Vette headers being used, so there may be some other clearance issues there, too.
Posted By: ArcticWolf Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 14th 2020 3:37 am
I want true 4 to 1 header side pipes and I know they made them for vans but I can't find any anywhere for sale. Would love to find someone willing to fab a set but.....
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: chevy side pipe questions - February 14th 2020 2:02 pm
I have a set of old Hooker super comp headers for my Dodge they are for a truck so they don't fit. I want to cut them for that very purpose, a true set of 4 into 1 side pipes sound awesome.
© Vannin' Community and Forums