Vannin' Home

The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model

Posted By: Dyno_Dave

The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 06th 2019 7:02 pm

The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model

[Linked Image]

MotorCities
Posted By: Marcela

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 06th 2019 11:58 pm

What are those, about a D cup?
Posted By: Meanmachine

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 07th 2019 1:02 am

Cool article, thanks for posting, I can see some similarities to the later produced Greenbriar. Definitely catch some attention driving down the road and looks like it was built like a tank to last.
Posted By: CatFish

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 07th 2019 6:01 pm

Pretty Kewl indeed! It was designed as front wheel drive and had a Pontiac engine mounted mid-van! crazy

Quote from Hemmings Motor News in 2013

It was conceived as a dream vehicle for the 1955 Motorama series of GM shows held in Boston, New York, Miami, Los Angeles and San Francisco. The L'Universelle that made the show rounds was reportedly a roller only--the transaxle wasn't functional and the engine lacked a working ignition.
The powerplant displayed in the L'Universelle was a 180hp Pontiac 288-cu in V-8 coupled to a transaxle. The cooling system was a complicated affair because the radiator had to be located behind the driver and angled skyward toward a roof vent where ceiling fans sucked in outside air.
L'Universelle's steering setup was also complex as the column led to a gearbox that turned a vertical shaft leading to another gearbox that turned a horizontal shaft leading to the wheels.

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 07th 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Marcela

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Marcela

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 07th 2019 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dyno_Dave
Originally Posted by Marcela

[Linked Image]

Haha! I was thinking either D cup or Marylin Monroe specials but that'll do.
Posted By: frscke1

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 08th 2019 12:22 am

Arnt they called Dolly Partons ? Or are the DP the torpedo style ?

All I know is I love all that chrome !

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 08th 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by frscke1

Dagmar's is what I know them as, hence the magazine cover.

WIKI DAGMAR

See the last entry in the "Later Career" section.
Posted By: lukester

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 11th 2019 1:49 pm

That is a wicked cool concept van.
Posted By: newkirkinc1

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - March 12th 2019 11:06 am

Wild design for that period!
Posted By: frscke1

Re: The GMC L'Universelle Was a Unique Design Concept Model - August 23rd 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dyno_Dave
Originally Posted by frscke1

Dagmar's is what I know them as, hence the magazine cover.

We have a weather girl named Dagmar .... lol Yeah they kinda follow suit

https://photogallery.indiatimes.com...l-anchors-of-tv/articleshow/26902625.cms

They need to make these again ........ they would sell a million of them
© 2019 Vannin' Community and Forums