Vannin' Home
Posted By: MoJoeCustoms Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 11th 2020 2:24 am
Hi all,

In my van is a digital tach and clock that say Heathkit on them both. I've tried to do some searching online to find out what I can about them with little info out there.

Neither one of them are working, but would be totally rad if I could get them going.

Just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with these and could help a fella out.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: kursed Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 12th 2020 2:36 am
The only Heathkit I know of was a company that was big into producing do it yourself electronics projects. I have a radio from the 40's that was a Heathkit project kit. You would basically by the box of parts and instructions and put it all together at home. Pretty neat stuff, wonder if they were some sort of project kits from them.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 12th 2020 3:47 am
If they are vintage Heathkit kits then you may find a manual here: https://shop.heathkit.com/page/vintage-replacement-manuals
Or contact 'em. They still own all the paperwork.
Worth a look anyway .... smile
Posted By: MoJoeCustoms Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 13th 2020 6:04 pm
Thank you guys for the info. This is what I got going on.

Attached picture IMG_20200113_120305602_compress63.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200113_120311968_compress8.jpg
Posted By: kursed Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 13th 2020 9:26 pm
Those look really cool. If you can't get them working, I dabble a little in electronics repair and might be able to help out.
Posted By: MoJoeCustoms Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 14th 2020 2:23 am
I appreciate the offer. I'll give it my best, but may take you up on that.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 14th 2020 2:51 am
Keep the shell and replace the inners … its a Heath Kit .. you build it … lol
Posted By: MoJoeCustoms Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 14th 2020 3:23 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
Keep the shell and replace the inners … its a Heath Kit .. you build it … lol

You do make an excellent point!
Posted By: kursed Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 14th 2020 8:55 pm
Finding the inner pieces in the correct sizes might be a bit more difficult that fixing them.

I've been restoring old video game systems, vintage electronic toys, and vintage audio stuff for the past 5 years or so, and I find that 90% a simple cleaning will fix most issues. 8% of the remaining stuff just needs a simple re-solder, and probably the last 2% needs critical components replaced (i.e. capacitors, diodes, resistors, etc.)
Posted By: MoJoeCustoms Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 19th 2020 1:44 am
I guess I'll start by opening them up and starting with a dusting, then see what's going on if anything looks funky.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Heathkit Digital tach & clock - January 20th 2020 11:09 pm
$5 says Dr.Rudy Wells can fix it, probably the same circuitry as Steve Austin's arm.😎
© Vannin' Community and Forums