Vannin' Home
Posted By: Mikeburkey 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 01st 2019 6:09 pm
Is it possible to fit a double din stereo into the Chevy chassis with slight modification?
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 06th 2019 6:31 pm
Mike

It is possible, well lets just say I fit in a Pioneer AVH into my 1991 Chevy G20 van. You would have to pull out the old radio, and then take a dremel and cut out the piece of metal right below the vents. This is a brace when the dash is pulled out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lionvan Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 06th 2019 8:16 pm
I got a Pioneer flip out.I made a wood panel for a regular size radio for it. The only thing I don't like is it's in front of the a.c. Vent. My son who installs at Best Buy also put a usb and extra power back in that ashtray opening. I still have the ashtray but I like the way you did it better. It's kinda tricky getting the usb plugged in.
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 06th 2019 8:31 pm
That was 3D printed by my friend for me.

Took out the ash tray, and put this in its place. Has a charging port for a cell phone, and also a USB port to plug in a "thumb drive" with music.Works great, but I have to remove the thumb drive to close the lid.

You can't see the 2nd port with my USB plugged in, one says AUDIO and the other CHARGE and are lit up in the dark/night.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 06th 2019 8:40 pm
That is a nice set up
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 06th 2019 8:49 pm
Thank you.

Only took about 5 attempts to get the sides of the radio / faceplate printed correctly so they would hook into the factory brackets.

Still learning on painting plastic. As you can see my paint job on the side radio brackets needs work/re-painted. I left the part that replaced the ash tray unpainted, and like it better that way I think.
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 06th 2019 8:52 pm
This is before the side/faceplate
[Linked Image]

This is after (again at least 5 attempts)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mikeburkey Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 07th 2019 4:38 am
Do you have the models for the face plate still? I would love to have those so I could print them. It looks fantastic. My radio is currently just sitting sticking out of the dash where the old radio resided. I was going to cut the piece of metal as you said you did and just slide it into place.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 07th 2019 12:24 pm
I was thinking that someone with some free time and a 3d printer should design a new center bezel that relocates the vents vertically on the sides and leaves the center panel open to mount a double DIN more easily.. Would just have to figure out the ducting behind the dash..
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 07th 2019 1:53 pm
Originally Posted by tuner4life
I was thinking that someone with some free time and a 3d printer should design a new center bezel that relocates the vents vertically on the sides and leaves the center panel open to mount a double DIN more easily.. Would just have to figure out the ducting behind the dash..

It's not a hard mod to install a "double din" into a 90's van.

To "re-design" would be a full time job for a few months. NOT that it can't be done, but it would almost be the design of a new dash.

I now have something to look forward to when I finally get to retire in 80 years. I got a call from social security yesterday and they said they have me scheduled to work until noon on the day of my death!!! I was kind of excited, I get at least an hour off!!!
Posted By: Mikeburkey Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 14th 2019 5:49 pm
Alright I used a dremel and cut out the two metal supports and it now fits. I did some modifications to the stock stereo faceplate to fill in the empty space and used the faceplate that came with the new radio to keep it from falling into my dash haha

Attached picture 15658049209523488144998552386248.jpg
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: 94 Chevy g20 double din? - August 14th 2019 5:55 pm
Very nice! It's a tight fit, but works! Looks very good.
© Vannin' Community and Forums