Vannin' Home
Posted By: NEmery adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 2:42 pm
I have swapped the head unit in my van with a newer unit (Dad had already hacked the dash up good in the 80's to install a 'hi-fi' Stereo with an EQ and all that). I currently have two speakers hooked to the front speaker wires ( 1 to FT LT and 1 to FT RT) that reside under the front seats, and 2 6X9's hooked to the rear (1 to RR LT and 1 to RR RT) that reside on the sides about a foot and a half in front of the wheel houses facing forward. When your back there on the bed, you have to turn the front speakers to face the rear, but your still not getting great sound back there, so I would like to add some small speakers on the pillars by the rear doors for some sound while in the back. How is the best way to wire this? Do I just split the wires from the rear and wire 2 Speakers to RR LT and 2 to RR RT, or is there some sort of trick to it?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 3:18 pm
Add another head unit & speakers to the back for when your camping.

Runs on the back batt with out the key on.
Posted By: NEmery Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by frscke1
Add another head unit & speakers to the back for when your camping.

Runs on the back batt with out the key on.

that's not a bad idea. I started thinking of the extra speakers a couple weeks back when we went to the Drive in. We like to take the van and just relax back there to watch the movie, and these days the sound is transmitted VIA FM signal and played through your car speakers. The problem is that with my current speaker arrangement, the volume has to be cranked up pretty far to get the full range of sound. I could do what you said and wire a second head unit back there that just has FM and Bluetooth, and then some new speakers designated to that unit. do they make an antenna splitter or something to tie 2 radios into the factory antenna?
Posted By: Death or victory Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 4:52 pm
Consider getting an amplifier as well. You’ll get cleaner stronger signal to all of your speakers. My friend has the same amount of speakers as I do but has an amplifier and his sound is way nicer and fuller range.
Posted By: NEmery Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 6:02 pm
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
Consider getting an amplifier as well. You’ll get cleaner stronger signal to all of your speakers. My friend has the same amount of speakers as I do but has an amplifier and his sound is way nicer and fuller range.

wouldn't need a very large one. with an amp, I could just add a 3rd set of speakers, right? I have never wired an amp, so I don't know. I did remove 2 amps from my van that had stopped working.
Posted By: Blackbird Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 9:54 pm
i just put a 1000 watt amp in mine that pushed 4 6x9’s 2 up front 2 mid way of van and 2 bose 901’s in the rear you just need to be sure that the sound coming out of your speakers aren’t canceling each other out
Posted By: kursed Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 10:05 pm
I'd go with an amp and a good set of speakers.

And yes they do make antenna splitters.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 10:32 pm
Add a second head unit amp N speakers ... and a monitor, a frig to keep your beer cold, a microwave to pop your popcorn ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: adding speakers?, - July 30th 2019 11:00 pm
Dang that is a wall-o-sound..looks great.
Posted By: Starlord Re: adding speakers?, - July 31st 2019 12:43 am
Several things. If your front speakers are under the front seat, you are not getting clean sound from them. What I mean by this is your mids and tweeters are directional, if you're getting the sound waves from reflection from under the seat it's not going to be as clean as if it were pointed somewhat towards your ears. Subs are another story, your ears cannot determine so easily where bass sound is coming from. What's wrong with putting a set of rear speakers in the back doors with an amp to increase the volume of the rear fill? I would add an amp to the rear speaker line using a four channel amp and just use the four channels for the back sets of speakers.
Posted By: NEmery Re: adding speakers?, - July 31st 2019 11:38 am
Originally Posted by Starlord
Several things. If your front speakers are under the front seat, you are not getting clean sound from them. What I mean by this is your mids and tweeters are directional, if you're getting the sound waves from reflection from under the seat it's not going to be as clean as if it were pointed somewhat towards your ears. Subs are another story, your ears cannot determine so easily where bass sound is coming from. What's wrong with putting a set of rear speakers in the back doors with an amp to increase the volume of the rear fill? I would add an amp to the rear speaker line using a four channel amp and just use the four channels for the back sets of speakers.

If I ever pull the dash, I will replace the dash speakers, as I know the front speakers under the seats suck. They are also very old Koss 3 way units from the 80's. LOL. I am liking the idea of an AMP to the rear speakers and using that amp to add the second set. I am not looking to mount any in the doors, though. I am thinking on the pillars in the corner or on the roof facing forward.
Posted By: Just4fun1991 Re: adding speakers?, - August 01st 2019 4:00 pm
I am by no means a sound expert, but I have learned (did it and wasn't happy with the sound level) that just placing a speaker in a box and laying it on the floor (even if powered by an AMP) that you may not get the sound volume out that you thought.

By having speakers in the dash, the sound is being reflected off of the windshield back into the van/your face. Yes, most speakers are directional, but placement of a speaker is important. The other issue is that a common dash speaker was around the size of a 4x6 and when powering with an amp, most 4x6 speakers wont handle a bigger amp. To add to speakers in the dash, you have a space issue in most cases, the passenger side isn't the issue, but usually it's the drivers side.

You would be surprised with the importance of placing a speaker and the reflection of the sound waves that will make a huge factor in sound levels.

My only suggestion is, don't point the speaker in a direction where the carpet/seat/leg will absorb/block the sound.
Posted By: Lionvan Re: adding speakers?, - August 01st 2019 6:24 pm
My Pioneer touch screen and my old Alpine have a sound correction settings so the sound to the driver seat is delayed.
© Vannin' Community and Forums