Vannin' Home
Posted By: Dyno_Dave A good source for replacement LEDs? - May 29th 2017 12:25 pm
I'm working on the lighting for my rear fan switch.

Rear Fan Switch Lighting

Other than radio shack, does anyone have a suggestion for a source of replacement LEDs?
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - May 29th 2017 3:48 pm
www.superbrightleds.com
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - May 29th 2017 5:44 pm
Thanks HBS. I was so busy thinking of industrial supply places, that this one didn't cross my mind. I was thinking of them in terms of finished products, not small component parts.

This is all a learning project for me, and I'm trying to find as many answers of my own as I can. But I'd appreciate a second set of eyes.

Looking at this particular LED, as it has a few more details than some others...

12mm LED

...it appears that the mm measurement is for the tube, or bulb. Measuring what I have...

[Linked Image]

...and I'm coming up with .121" English, which converts to 3.073mm. So I need a 3mm LED if I want to re-use the blue rubber covers to try and keep the light color matching.

"Assuming" that I have incandescent bulbs elsewhere in the dash, like in the cluster, I'd prefer a "warm" LED, but in 3mm, there aren't any. With that, I'm stuck with a choice of two 3mm LEDs.

3mm Cool White LED - 6950K - 30 Degree Viewing Angle

3mm Cool White LED - 8100K - T1 Through Hole LED w/ 45 Degree Viewing Angle

That first one is slightly cooler, at 6950K and a 30* angle, or the second which is 8100K and a 45* angle. All else being the same, I'd probably want the wider angle, so that means they each have something I'd like (one cooler, one wider angle).

With the fresnel-like lense on the switch face (see original thread), would you "guess" that the angle might be less critical, and I can go with the slightly cooler LED?

----------------------------------------------

Second question: I still have not seen a good answer to if these can be run on 12v. Being diodes, they all have a bias voltage, somewhere in the 3v range. But I'm not sure what the practical upper limit is. I don't want to do all this work, and see them pop the first time I pull the switch.

Any thoughts? Again, this is not my area of expertise.

Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - May 29th 2017 10:55 pm
Call SBLED-someone there in tech support will know.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - May 30th 2017 3:11 pm
I'll give them a call today.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - May 30th 2017 6:30 pm
Excellent technical service. Thanks again HSB!

A half dozen of these...

LED

...are on their way. Should ship this afternoon.

Now I get to figure out current flow through the circuit so I solder them in the right way, and we should have light.

I'll update my other thread once I have them installed.
Posted By: Hasan Ben Sobar Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - May 31st 2017 4:38 pm
No worries!!!
Posted By: Astro Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - June 01st 2017 1:54 pm
I've been shopping on ebay and amazon, the quantity and variety of LEDs is nuts! and so cheap!
but.... you do get what you pay for.

i bought some that lasted less than a year in my cab visor because they couldn't handle any moisture, the new ones I replaced them with seem better sealed and are so much brighter.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: A good source for replacement LEDs? - June 01st 2017 6:24 pm
Just to update this, I posted in my original thread (link in first post), the bulb turns out to be incandescent, and not LED. It's what I get for not looking closer with my readers on after I pulled the cover off.
© Vannin' Community and Forums