Vannin' Home
Posted By: ajm5034 G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 1:28 pm
I've gone down the Chevy G30 rabbit hole.

I teach for a community college, and have been working from home since the Covid pandemic started. "Working from home" = Facebook marketplace = now I'm here with three vans and two large projects, haha.

I restore old cars, campers, and motorcycles, but have never done a van build. I have a number of awesome camper/RV resources near me, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I now have:
1990 G30 cutaway. Bought it from a company that built motorhomes in the 1980's and 1990's. It was used as a warehouse vehicle and never had a box put on it. Apparently, it was only used on their property and it's super clean with 8k miles.

1978 G30-based Shasta motorhome (needs restored, but is surprisingly solid and dry- was stored in a barn). I originally bought this one as a parts vehicle, but it ended up being cleaner than my original project, so it has now become the project itself. I'm going to restore this one for shows/originality- total re-skin/re-seal, re-framing if necessary, interior restoration.
https://app.photobucket.com/u/ajm5034/p/d6167365-d2b0-4b81-8744-2fb0b99b4cd6

1977 G30-based Shasta motorhome. The first one I bought. It's a total wreck, but it got me started in the hobby and will make a good parts vehicle. The chassis is decent, the motorhome is totally water damaged. Hey, it was cheap and got me started on better projects!

My first project is the 1990- I've already purchased materials to build a custom "toy hauler" type box on the back. Mainly for hauling, but will have a bed, toilet, and small kitchen. I was lucky enough to find a local RV manufacturer (SWPA) that clearances materials from previous models. I was able to buy matching paneling, cabinet doors, counter tops, industrial flooring, a rear ramp door, man door, and fylon siding. As a project, I will have my welding students fabricate a 'box' out of square tube steel or aluminum- TBD.

Hope to post pictures and updates soon!
Posted By: SDMickey Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 1:50 pm
Welcome from San Diego. I've been a "Bowtie" guy my entire life. I've been lucky to have owned a 1967; 1971; 1974 and a long dry spell until October of last year and have my second 1974 G10; all shortys',

There is nothing like the Van Life. ( we all now there are worse addictions )
Posted By: Wedgy Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 2:23 pm
A warm welcome from West Texas Aj. I'm assuming all 350 V8 powered? If you like Big Blocks, or even a 400, Keep an eye out. IDK if the 454 ever made it into a cutaway chassis, but I don't see why not. Got a few BBC 454s on here. Mines a 1990 also. EXT TMW!

I was an Adult School Instructor too. Good Times ahead. Hang in there. Sounds like your doing well.

Good Wrenching! Stay warm in PA! keep us posted, and
welcome
Posted By: ajm5034 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 2:31 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome! Speaking of a long dry spell, I bet you have some nice rust-free vehicles to pick from in SD! I always liked the sheet metal grilles on the early 70's vans!

Originally Posted by SDMickey
Welcome from San Diego. I've been a "Bowtie" guy my entire life. I've been lucky to have owned a 1967; 1971; 1974 and a long dry spell until October of last year and have my second 1974 G10; all shortys',

There is nothing like the Van Life. ( we all now there are worse addictions )
Posted By: ajm5034 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 2:36 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome! (Hopefully everything is warm for you down in TX! We're expecting snow again here in PA this weekend.)

Yep- all of mine are 350's. My 1990 seems to have good power with the tbi 350- starts easy, runs smooth. My 1978 has 80k and the quadrajet needs a rebuild, so if I were to get crazy and swap in something else, that would be the rig I'd do it to!

Props for working in a school as well- it helps to build patience for projects like these! :P

Originally Posted by Wedgy
A warm welcome from West Texas Aj. I'm assuming all 350 V8 powered? If you like Big Blocks, or even a 400, Keep an eye out. IDK if the 454 ever made it into a cutaway chassis, but I don't see why not. Got a few BBC 454s on here. Mines a 1990 also. EXT TMW!

I was an Adult School Instructor too. Good Times ahead. Hang in there. Sounds like your doing well.

Good Wrenching! Stay warm in PA! keep us posted, and
welcome
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 3:26 pm
welcome from Pittsburgh! Good to have ya aboard.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 6:12 pm
Welcome from northwestern PA, about 2 1/2 hours north of you, my niece lives down your way in Connellsville and my brother lives near Bear Rocks.
Posted By: lukester Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 6:49 pm
Welcome from Florida.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 8:05 pm
ajm5034: True my friend; however the prices are SKY HIGH like a good percentage of the Cali Population ! crazy
Posted By: frscke1 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 8:30 pm
Did I hear some one say 454 ? Welcome to the site ajm ...
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 10:08 pm
Welcome from Florida. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. PICTURES !! (good friend of mine is from Uniontown).
Posted By: Sweet_Spot Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 30th 2021 10:19 pm
Welcome to the site from N.Y. C.
Posted By: ajm5034 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 31st 2021 12:26 am
Hey there! What part of Pittsburgh? I grew up in Point Breeze.

Originally Posted by newkirkinc1
welcome from Pittsburgh! Good to have ya aboard.
Posted By: ajm5034 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 31st 2021 12:29 am
Small world! (My 1978 came from Kittanning!)

Originally Posted by Meanmachine
Welcome from northwestern PA, about 2 1/2 hours north of you, my niece lives down your way in Connellsville and my brother lives near Bear Rocks.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: G30 Build Bonanza - January 31st 2021 1:11 am
I am about 15 miles north of Kittanning.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: G30 Build Bonanza - February 01st 2021 12:11 pm
I am in Coraopolis.
© Vannin' Community and Forums