Vannin' Home
Posted By: SalmonVan Finally found the van I've been looking for.... - May 11th 2019 6:02 am

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hello everyone!

Proud new owner of a 1987 G20. I've been looking for one of these in decent shape for a long time. I recently found this one with 145 000 kms and jumped on it. It has the 305 TBI and so far so good.

I'm in the process of replacing the shag carpet floor but the rest of the interior is very nice.

I'd like to ask the membership what are some common problems with these style vans?

I've noticed that when starting it cold, it seems to take a while for the idle speed to drop down. Tapping the gas doesn't seem to do anything.

More pics to come.

Thanks

Sam
Welcome aboard Sam!

[Linked Image]

That's a clean looking old van.

Idle speed is computer controlled in your application. Tapping the throttle will not change it.

My '88 Trans Am, which had the same engine, his a little higher initial cold idle than I'd like....about 2k rpm. It will then slowly drop over the next 60 seconds or so to a middle rpm, say 1200 rpm, then slower after it warms up.

How is yours behaving?
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.

When I start mine cold it revs pretty high for 1-2 minutes before it drops down. The issue is that if I try to put it in gear when it's revving that high it makes a big clunk and seems hard on the transmission. Once the idle drops down it shifts normally.
That is normal for a Chevy ... wait till it warms to put into drive ... its only 1-2 min.
Welcome! Good looking van there.
Good looking rig, nice that clean ones are still around
Yes, I have to exercise some patience when backing the Trans Am out of the garage. frscke1 is right about that.
welcome to the site. Nice score there.
welcome aboard

Sweeeeet Van van
Welcome from Minnesota!! Nice looking van.
© Vannin' Community and Forums