Vannin' Home

Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van

Posted By: Frosty

Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 17th 2018 4:12 pm

I've been checking out this fantastic forum, and I have to say, there's lots of amazing vans here. Very inspiring.

Well, I got a sweet deal on this ice cream truck. We call her Frosty the SnowVan. She's pretty straight. No wrecks. Just rust spots that need fixing and one bump on the back corner.

My son is turning 16 soon and I need to get him off the computer and into the toolbox. He does help me with household chores and handy man things, but it's like pulling teeth prying him from those damned computer games (Fortnite, Minecraft). So I thought this would be a good way to get him off his @ss and into the garage helping his old man transform this ho-hum creepy ice cream truck into a cool vanner ride.

He's not really into cars (what a shame) and he hasn't shown any interest with helping me do a full-blown resto-mod on my high school ride, a 1964 VW bug. But maybe this new van project will pique his interest. I'll show him how to fix, maintain, drive the van and run a business. I plan to teach him what it's like to run his own business as opposed to working for "the man."

We'll see how he takes to it. Ironically, my 1st daughter (I have two) is more interested in getting her hands greasy wrenching with me on cars. Thank God I have a least one!

Anyway, here's the stats on ol' Frosty:

• 1981 Chevy G10 shorty
• Hi-top
• Inline 6
• 350 Turbo trans
• Ice cold rooftop A/C
• 6' freezer
• Music box
• Flashers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My plans for Frosty:

1) Fix brakes
2) Tune-up
3) Cut out rust spots and weld 'er up
4) New wheels and tires (I was thinking about late 70s Trans Am snowflake wheels to go with the theme)
5) Mudder fender flares and front air dam/spoiler
6) Diamond plate running boards
7) Windshield visor
8) Delete the window behind the driver
9) New rubber all around
10) New paint

I'll post a build thread once I finish up my bug. Thanks in advance for all your helpful advice and guidance.
Posted By: newkirkinc1

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 17th 2018 5:00 pm

welcome to the site and congrats on the van.
Posted By: 78VanMate

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 17th 2018 7:45 pm

Welcome from Minnesota, looks like a great project.
Posted By: Wedgy

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 18th 2018 1:11 am

welcomeFrosty Van Family. Glad to have you here. That Van is Cool! Ha! Great Kids! Gonna have some great times in the little Chevy, good Dad.

Kids crack me up. Billy's first words were, "Truck Tire!"

Van On Frosty Family!
Posted By: oldskool73

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 18th 2018 8:26 am

Welcome. I love ice cream.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 18th 2018 6:27 pm

Welcome aboard!

[Linked Image]

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 19th 2018 12:55 am

Thanks guys. I can't wait to dig in and get her the way she needs to be.
Posted By: lukester

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 22nd 2018 5:22 pm

welcomefrom Florida

Looking forward to your build.

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 27th 2018 4:23 am

Thanks, lukester!
Posted By: kursed

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 27th 2018 1:26 pm

Neat ride, and welcome.
Posted By: Wizard78

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 28th 2018 10:20 pm

welcome aboard
Sweet van
Posted By: nikothenomad

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 29th 2018 4:31 pm

Welcome! As a female wrench'er who grew up being told that mechanic stuff was for boys and she couldn't follow her interest I would like to encourage you to encourage your daughter to get out there with you if she is interested!

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 30th 2018 1:29 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, Vanners!

Nikothenomad, my daughter (Maya) loves gettin' dirty and I am thankful for her interest. Yes, I do encourage her and teach her what I know. At 12, she can lay a pretty good bead with the MIG. I'm just kind of worried when she gets into it with the angle grinder. One time she angled it just so it caught on the metal wrong and kicked back up at her. But she's coming along well.

And yesterday Maya told me she wants to document the build on YouTube. So hopefully we'll see her handy work beginning January.
Posted By: nikothenomad

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - November 30th 2018 11:58 pm

Excellent. Love Maya's interest! I haven't done much body work so she's way ahead of me in that department but I am all about taking the engine and suspension and other components apart and doing what I can. My preference is to rebuild the original parts if I can rather than replace but as long as I am turning a wrench and getting dirty I am thrilled as can be! Have you seen this? https://girlsautoclinic.com She may be interested to see that there are women out there running their own mechanic business. Either way, glad you let her get out there with you. Wish I had more opportunity when I was younger but making up for it now!

Re: Just got a sweet Texas Chevy van - December 01st 2018 2:49 am

Fantastic link, Niko. I'll show Maya when she gets back from her Girl Scout outting. Have a wonderful weekend.
© 2019 Vannin' Community and Forums