Vannin' Home
Advice help? i want to learn. i want to help others. im into this thing. i think it rides great. but im no pro. got it for 800.

Big plans for this. thinking about getting a rebuilt motor for it put in. have not done that yet. it knocks at rpms before it shifts. it leaks oil and coolant. no ac yet its next. inside is great. rides good. what would it take to become disc breaks. . right now im a hammock hangin in there any cost ideas im looking at? so far 3,800 is the offer for rebuilt motor and new radiator .

the back is 7ft long 5ft wide no seats in the back. cant get over 50 after riding awhile . smells of exhaust if the windows are up. Im thinking about wider tires .

im in ca coast working odd jobs traveling lots of mods and pics to come.

Description: 86 toyota LE converted to cargo style
Attached picture 00k0k_gvIvL8y7HZd_600x450.jpg
welcome
Welcome to the site Mike ...
Hey Mikee,

Welcome to the site!
Not too many if those Vans around. Disc brakes in the front?
In a front engine rear wheel drive mini van, If your brakes are all good, you should be able to lock up the rear no problem.

From what you described going on with the engine, it sure does sound at the very least like a blown head gasket, and more like impending mechanical failure in the not too distant future.

At the very least, don't drive it before refilling oil and coolant, and dont go far. Those Vans are prone to overheat. Yours obviously is. If you're loosing power, coolant, and the motor is knocking already, you may want to consider the possibility of catastrophic engine failure damaging the engine beyond repair. Might not be easy to find that particular motor.

If you keep on driving it, and it looses too much coolant, You will know when it overheats, and it's never a good thing.
Happy Vanning! Be careful and safery first!
Welcome aboard!

[Linked Image]
hey so where should i post the up dates of this thing?
Start a thread of your own in "Readers Rides" .....
ok
Hi Mike good luck my van is from Oakland ca
@billybob cool. got any mechanics ya recommend? or shops
You might check out Performance Options in Oakland (They have a webpage with a Celica on the rack) and talk to them about maybe swapping in a later model Toyota motor and a much bigger radiator.
When I had my early Chevy I learned that a bigger radiator was a must have option and it also helps to make sure ALL the air coming in the front of the van is going THROUGH the radiator. (as opposed to around, over or under it)
If you're getting blown around in the wind, wider tires will help.
I don't know anything about Performance Options, but they look like they would be a good place to start asking questions....
thanks for the help! thats the plan before october i hope
© Vannin' Community and Forums