Vannin' Home
Posted By: MikeyG61p MikeyG and Flicka - April 14th 2017 11:31 am
My Black, 1985, G-20 (3/4 ton), 125 inch wheel base, Chevy Van, ["Flicka"] has 190k miles on her. I got "Flicka" in 1992 with 67k miles on her. She's got a 305 c. i. engine, with power - steering, brakes, windows & door locks - air conditioning - tilt steering wheel & cruise control. I replaced the original, Rally Wheels with "American Racing" 'Torque-Thrust-D' wheels.

When I first got "Flicka" it was purchased mainly, to transport my Flat Track racing motorcycle; she was a 'daily driver', but after a few years, she became 'garage kept' and was used only, for getting to and from the Flat Track races; which she still is and does; not quite, as often as in the past, when I was a younger man, (I turned 60 this year; I'm glad amateur Flat Track racing offers a 'Super Senior' class!).

The previous owners used the van for recreation. They had paneling and insulation installed, and benches/cabinets made covering the wheel wells; I modified these benches to accommodate my tool box. I removed the 2 rear 'Captain's Chair' seats. I added some lighting and organized the necessities; adding places to secure everything from moving around. I attached a 2 x 4 behind the 2 back seat posts for a motorcycle wheel stop, installed a couple of 'eye bolts' to the floor for the 'tie downs'.

Sometime around 2005 I replaced the the original, paneling, re-designed the wood 'wheel well benches' and covered them with a gray colored indoor-outdoor type carpeting material.

The image of the cargo area is pre-2005; the wall shelf, the air tank stand, the toolbox bench have been removed. The spare tire sits in its factory, original, spot where the toolbox is in the photo. The vinyl, Captain's seats have been replaced with cloth. The (4) vinyl, seats and the original, Rally wheels all got stowed away in the attic.

Description: "Flicka" - pre-2005; no more 'FLTTRKR' license plates any longer.
Attached picture Flicka.jpg

Description: "Flicka" - pre-2005 before re-designing the cargo area. No more wall shelf, air tank and toolbox benches, (spare tire is now, in toolbox's place); along with generator now, sit on the floor. Vinyl Captain's seats have been replaced with cloth.
Attached picture Flickain.jpg
Posted By: lukester Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 14th 2017 12:05 pm
welcomefrom Florida

Cool van.
Posted By: Starlord Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 15th 2017 1:03 am
Welcome. Van's looking good.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 15th 2017 11:29 am
welcome very nice!
Posted By: Wedgy Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 15th 2017 2:21 pm
Hey MickyG, Welcome to the Site! Another nice Chevy. Good job on your Gvan there!
Posted By: Greenstreak Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 16th 2017 2:29 am
Great looking van!
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 16th 2017 9:11 am
Here are a couple more pics of my '85 G20 Chevy Van . . .

Attached picture Flicka-vanin-l.jpg
Attached picture Flicka-vanin-r.jpg
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 16th 2017 9:14 am
Thank you, you all, for the Welcome. .. Thanks for the compliments, also.
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 19th 2017 2:07 am
Welcome aboard! [Linked Image]

That's a nice looking van, with a great history.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 19th 2017 2:43 am
Thanks, Dyno_Dave.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 19th 2017 3:14 am
. . . . I'm wishing I would have uploaded the larger versions of those last two pics. . . . . re-reading my original post . . . I had forgotten about the Pop-Up vent that the original owners had installed . . .which I had to remove for the van to fit inside the garage. . . . ashamedly, I used what I had handy at the time; Plexiglass, Pop Rivets and black Silicone . . . nobody ever looks up there, and it's never leaked, I've thought about re-doing it 'the right way', but just, never have, so, O'l Flicka ain't no 'Cruise Night' candidate, she's got some dents, dings and blemishes and a little rust on here underside and a couple of small 'bubbles' in a few, spots beneath the paint. . . . I replaced the front shocks, the rear shocks with air shocks, ball joints and steering components, fuel pump and filter (a couple of times), power steering pump, rear brake cylinders, front brake calipers and brake lines/hoses, heater core, the Sears Die Hard a couple of times . . . . she's had a couple of 'brake jobs' . . . around 2000 I had the heads freshened, headers installed, a more fuel efficient cam was installed, cam chain and gears, water pump, they musta' re-built the carb, too, I'd think. . . . the a/c was updated to the 'legal' refrigerant . . . and she just, got new, 'shoes' just, a year a go . . . . Gee! I think I've covered it all. .. Sorry, if I bored anyone who dared to attempt to read all of this!! . . . I guess I just, wanted to express how she has been maintained over the years. I imagine it is pretty, obvious how much I love my "Flicka". I do want to upload a couple more pics; in the near, future.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 19th 2017 3:33 am
Same pics; a bit larger.

Attached picture 0923201203Flicka-2.jpg
Attached picture 09232012Flicka-1.jpg
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - April 20th 2017 1:52 am
maybe I'm getting too, carried away with this ...

Attached picture Flicka-Vanin-3f.jpg
Attached picture Flicka-Vanin-4crgo.jpg
Attached picture Flicka-Vanin-5r.jpg
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka . . . continues ... - May 02nd 2018 12:54 am
It's been a year since I have been here, I still, have a passion for my, 'this ain't no show van', '85 G20 Chevy Van, (and have interest in others' passion for Vans). I'm dependent on "Flicka" for transporting my Flat Track motorcycles, which is mostly, exclusively, what she is used for. She don't see any snow or salt in the winter months; she doesn't need anymore assault to her old, 'underside'. ... I just wanted to add a few fairly, recent, photos of "Flicka" at work.

Attached picture Mcmb81917-vanin.jpg
Attached picture MPG_AmNtlHf-17_loadup-vanin.jpg
Attached picture Mpg_AmNtlHf-17-vanin.jpg
Attached picture MPGMmtpOH-17-vanin.jpg
Attached picture MPG_VanWert-17-vanin.jpg
Posted By: oldskool73 Re: MikeyG and Flicka . . . continues ... - May 02nd 2018 3:34 am
Nice van.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka . . . continues ... - May 02nd 2018 10:45 am
Thank You, 'oldskool73'. .... she's nothin' fancy; gots some 'blemishes', but I love her, and I'm very, dependent on her.
Posted By: Grey20 Re: MikeyG and Flicka . . . continues ... - May 02nd 2018 11:01 am
Just love to see those old vans in a racing environment . I am not too far behind you in age, and play with a 69 Vette in historic racing and will race until I become a mobile chicane !
Posted By: Greenstreak Re: MikeyG and Flicka . . . continues ... - May 03rd 2018 3:20 am
They don't have to be perfect to be cool. smile
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka . . . continues ... - May 03rd 2018 10:48 am
Thanks for your comment, Grey20. Good Luck, and have fun, with your Vette and the Historic Racing.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka . . . continues ... - May 03rd 2018 10:49 am
Thanks, Greenstreak; Flicka and I appreciate that! .. lol
Posted By: CatFish Re: MikeyG and Flicka - May 03rd 2018 11:06 am
Originally Posted by MikeyG61p
maybe I'm getting too, carried away with this ...

Nope. Not too carried away at all.
You're among like minded folks here...... smile

No explanation necessary. grin
Posted By: 1959 Re: MikeyG and Flicka - May 03rd 2018 2:22 pm
Hey Mikey. I do not know for sure if they are running this weekend but are you by chance going to the Vintage Torquefest in DuBuque this weekend? Last year they ran flat trackers Saturday. Its not a van show but there are always lots of vans in the camping area. Maybe I will see you there.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - May 04th 2018 12:43 am
Hey, Thanks, CatFish.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - May 04th 2018 12:50 am
1959, I'd not heard of the Vintage Torquefest in DuBuque. I've never had a Vintage Flattracker, I've rode a 500 Yamaha, a 676 ATK/Rotax, both 'Framers'. I am riding 'DTX' [MX modified for Flat Track] bikes, a Yamaha YZ250F and a Honda CRF450R these days. I'm attending a Half Mile event in Hastings, MI this Saturday. Many more Modern Vans than 'Flicka' carry the Flattrackers these days.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - January 12th 2020 2:20 pm
Just, an update on 'Flicka' ... she got new, power window motors, new, door seals and a new, fuel tank / sending unit and re-newed fuel tank 'connections / components' during the winter of 2018.

Attached picture 20181123_163232-90.jpg
Attached picture 20181103_215745.jpg
Attached picture 20181116_155349.jpg
Posted By: lukester Re: MikeyG and Flicka - January 12th 2020 3:29 pm
Very cool.
Looks like you got yourself a great set up.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - January 12th 2020 9:33 pm
Thank you, lukester.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka .. 2020 . . . - January 14th 2020 11:22 pm
For a long time I had been wishing that 'Flicka's' Instrument Cluster illumination's brightness could be increased, but the dimmer was a full stop.

I finally, replaced 'Flicka's' incandescent, instrument cluster light bulbs with "SuperBrightLED.com", LED bulbs. I installed (6) '194-CWHP5' LED bulbs to illuminate the 'gauges' and the 'heat / air' control panel, and (6) '194-CW3HP' LED bulbs to illuminate the 'Choke', 'Brake', 'Seat Belt', 'Bright' and 'turn signal' indicators.

The 'stock' / '194', incandescent, light bulbs left the 'gauges' of the 'instrument cluster' too, dim for my liking; these LED bulbs are very, nice; not overly, bright; the '194-CWHP5' bulbs are 'dimmable'.

'194-CW3HP' LED bulbs, illuminating the 'indicators' are plenty, bright for their purpose, but the 'stock' / '194', incandescent, light bulbs did not necessarily, need to be replaced, as the incandescent bulbs illumination was satisfactory; I replaced them with the LED bulbs basically, because of the LED's life expectancy.

Attached picture 011320_194-CWHP5 -194-CW3HP.jpg
Attached picture 011320_194-CWHP5.jpg
Posted By: Death or victory Re: MikeyG and Flicka .. 2020 . . . - January 14th 2020 11:41 pm
Thank you for posting this, along with part numbers, this is a great upgrade.
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: MikeyG and Flicka .. 2020 . . . - January 14th 2020 11:49 pm
That's just awesome.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka .. 2020 . . . - January 15th 2020 10:31 am
Thanks, Deathorvictory.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka .. 2020 . . . - January 15th 2020 10:32 am
Thanks, newkirkinc1.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: MikeyG and Flicka .. 2020 . . . - January 15th 2020 3:30 pm
Coming along great.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka .. 2020 . . . - January 15th 2020 4:20 pm
Thanks, Lee7673. . I have no plans to make any significant, modifications to Flicka in the future; now days just, trying to give her what she needs, when she needs it to keep her getting us to, and back from, the race tracks.
Posted By: MikeyG61p Re: MikeyG and Flicka - January 15th 2020 4:40 pm
'Flicka' and my 2018, Honda CRF450R during our participation at the September 8, 2019, Montpelier, OH, County Fair, Flat Track half mile. .. We finished 3rd in the 50+ class, Main event.

Attached picture MontpelierOH-Pit-MPG-9819.jpg
© Vannin' Community and Forums