Vannin' Home
Posted By: soundhd Cost Of Automotive Paint - May 18th 2022 9:15 pm
It’s been a very long time since I had to look into getting any vehicle repainted. Recently purchased a 91 Chevy Shorty and it is due to go to the paint shop later this summer…..was looking at black and a 2020 Cadillac color and I asked how much more the Cadillac color would be (a metallic color) and to my surprise (and the painter’s) they were the same…..now everyone hold on …….$787.00 per gallon…..whew…..almost makes one to have it wrapped instead……..LOL
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - May 18th 2022 9:53 pm
Thats about right on the price ....it cost me $3500 to have my Red van painted.

I had the White van painted back in 09 and that one was $900.

As my friend was the painter his fee was minimal ...

Now lets talk aircraft N Space paint ...lol
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - May 19th 2022 3:49 am
When did you have BIG Red painted and there had to be hardly no bodywork
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - May 19th 2022 3:20 pm
That was the paint job after the accident when they replaced the whole drivers side.
Posted By: kursed Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - July 15th 2022 5:26 pm
So here is the thing about paints and wraps. Paint is MUCH more expensive, but if properly cared for it can last literal decades longer than a vinyl wrap. Costs are going up across the board, but auto paints have been steady climbing over the past 5 years or so, even before the inflation uptick of recent days. Lots more EPA regulations, business regulations, and higher taxes all help those costs rise. $3,000-5,000 is a pretty average cost for a full size van paint job these days depending on your location and paint.
Posted By: soundhd Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 17th 2022 12:42 pm
Well looks like you got off cheap compared to the cost of red paint now days. High quality red auto paint is running over $1500.00 a gallon now.

Originally Posted by frscke1
Thats about right on the price ....it cost me $3500 to have my Red van painted.

I had the White van painted back in 09 and that one was $900.

As my friend was the painter his fee was minimal ...

Now lets talk aircraft N Space paint ...lol
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 18th 2022 1:57 pm
I had an uncle paint a car in his basement garage with no mask and no fan, almost killed everybody upstairs..Imron was rough stuff...
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 18th 2022 9:13 pm
I had a buddy back in the day paint cars in a tiny; wood garage with no windows. He did phenominal work and was always wacked out of his mind due to the lack of ventilation. Lost touch with him back in 82'
Posted By: DrCaldre Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 19th 2022 1:57 am
I think we'll see more and more full linered or wrapped vans because of paint cost. Walter the no longer white could be done next week for a nice little Christmas present, fingers crossed.

I think the liner will turn out great, however, wraps and liners will never compare to a nice two stage paint. But who has time to wax a massive van? Guess you could ceramic coat for even more $$$
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 19th 2022 2:00 am
For the difference in price I would go with paint for sure vs wraps.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 19th 2022 6:52 pm
I painted my van myself and the price of paint was good but still cost me almost $2,000 for the paint and clear and all the activators/hardeners
Posted By: bigbongo Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 19th 2022 10:11 pm
Don't even think about a wrap. Any kind of nick will peel it off and there is no repair for that. I did digital printing for years and the amount of ink put down will not last even if you put a UV clear coat to extend the life. The guy at the body shop who did some work on my van before I painted it told me prices were going up every week and he had to spend lots of money to stock up. When he told customers the cost of a re-paint and the cost of just the base coat clear coat they backed off thinking he was gouging him. I think there is only two paint manufacturers left in the US that make the paints. The Urethanes hold up real well and are cheaper than the BCCC. But don't use water based Urethanes if your air brushing for they clog real fast as I found out and ended up using a touchup gun to do the work.
Posted By: SDMickey Re: Cost Of Automotive Paint - December 20th 2022 1:28 am
When I finally recover from my powertrain and suspension build in about March of 2024; I'm heading to the House of Lee's Customs in Maryland for my hook up on paint grin
© Vannin' Community and Forums