Vannin' Home
Posted By: Tim_M Water media blasting to strip the van - August 30th 2020 8:13 pm
Has anyone ever used the water media blasting to strip their car? I am having it done this coming Thurs to the van and I have never been around this before. Had soda blasting done, but never this water media blasting. Saw it on Youtube and it looks pretty amazing. Anything I should know before I get this going? Thanks
Posted By: Tim_M Re: Water media blasting to strip the van - September 04th 2020 8:04 pm
Ok, so I had this done to the van Thurs and I must admit...I learned a lot! First off, this should not be called Dustless because it is much more dust-deferred! Though the dust during stripping is dramatically reduced, it turn it into a mud that sticks to everything until dried and then reverts back to sand. I knew my weatherstripping was shot, but never gave it a thought that would shove the mixture right through it and into the van! What a mess! I just got through doing a dry blow off of the van which required a serious amount of scrubbing with a brush and then use a leaf blower and compressor to move it off the van. Feel I will need to do that again a couple of times to believe that it is enough to proceed to primer.

A friend once said that getting a car blasted was like getting a credit report on your new hot girlfriend...you are going to find out a lot you probably need to know but don't want to! The van has had a bit of repair work done, but thankfully nothing that looks really bad. The stripper said that when this method hits rust..the car looks like it is bleeding red. No blood...great! Even the fenders and rain gutters were not rusty. All in all, I think it looks good and now I have to get it into primer to prevent rusting. The rust inhibitor that he used states a 72 hour limit, but he said that if kept dry it could go a bit longer. I am going to hurry along.

Thought you all might want to know!

Attached picture IMG_9075.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9064.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9069.jpg
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Water media blasting to strip the van - September 05th 2020 12:26 am
Nice but yes messy
Posted By: Rusty Pancelode Re: Water media blasting to strip the van - September 05th 2020 12:28 am
Cool!
Thanks for sharing that!
Posted By: Frosty Re: Water media blasting to strip the van - November 23rd 2020 11:56 pm
Three years ago I sandblasted the rear vents and engine bay in my 64 bug, and to this day I still find sand gains every now and then.
© Vannin' Community and Forums