Vannin' Home
Posted By: Death or victory Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 12:55 am
Planning on a few body mods this summer, including frenching two short antennas into either driver or passenger front fender. I'm looking for a 10-15" antenna, potentially extendable to that max length or fixed. Some I see in that size are dummy antennas and I want mine to work. Im not looking for power antenna, just signal reception to my head unit.

If you've done this to your van (or other project) and you did what I'm looking to do, can you shed some info on what might be a good source to find that size antenna that could be some type of OEM or flat base style with wired connection built in? Im looking to use a 1.5" hole diameter which seems pretty common but cluless on antennas and the internet isnt always super helpful.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 1:27 am
The hamb has a really good thread on this subject. Usually a universal antenna, steel tube, and a washer are all you need.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/french-antenna-help-how-do-i.10231/
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 1:52 am
My frenched tubes have drain lines out the bottom
I know how to do the mod, but “universal antennas” like the ones people used to use don’t really exist. Most I see are too tall, not adjustable or stock bases that don’t accept shorter antenna. So I’m looking for advice on finding a workable antenna that would work for something like this
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 2:27 am
Originally Posted by Deathorvictory
I know how to do the mod, but “universal antennas” like the ones people used to use don’t really exist. Most I see are too tall, not adjustable or stock bases that don’t accept shorter antenna. So I’m looking for advice on finding a workable antenna that would work for something like this

Have you looked at the mid to late 90's Caddies? They have that electric antenna in the back that can be removed from the trunk?

It's funny because you usually see the right antennas at swap meets and flea markets.
Our only swap of the year was cancelled. I’m not super keen on electric ones since I want to run 2 next to eachother and not sure if that would even fit. Trying to keep the whole thing as simple as possible. I went to measure on my van where I may put them, I could probably get away with up to 20” and recess it to where the height would work.
Posted By: kursed Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 5:22 am
Autozone lists one by Metra that is retractable and fits in a 17mm (0.748 inch) hole. I would start there. The only thing I don't like about it is the black base and tip. I'm sure Metra makes one with chrome base and tip, but I just pulled this one up as it was the first that came up in a Google seach.

Only other suggestion would be to search the local scrap yards for something you like. Problem is going to be finding two identical or even really similar units in the scrap yard. Going with a company like Metra will give you more options for matching or similar units for the dual instal.

Metra from Autozone

As for the power units, I've had a couple back in my minitruckin' days and they're actually quite small. I got them out of scrapyard Toyotas or something like that, one was from a Caddy. Speedway Motors sells a decent one these days.

Power from Speedway Motors

*EDIT* Here is a chrome one I found on eBay using "Telescoping Car Antenna" in Google search. Probably a bunch more out there too.

Chrome from eBay
@kursed thanks for the info. Those metro ones seem ok, but all of them I feel, the mounting base always looks canted at an angle and I’m not sure how that would work on a flat base plate in a frenched tube. I might be misunderstanding them because I really haven’t worked with an antenna like those before. I’ve seen fixed mast antennas with a simple flat base and was thinking that might be what I’m looking for but I guess the ones you posted besides the power one is what I actually need. Most of those extend super long which makes that tube below the base long as well. I probably will have room in my fender but I certainly am trying to avoid buying mistakes.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 4:53 pm
@kursed thanks for the info. Those metro ones seem ok, but all of them I feel, the mounting base always looks canted at an angle and I’m not sure how that would work on a flat base plate in a frenched tube. I might be misunderstanding them because I really haven’t worked with an antenna like those before. I’ve seen fixed mast antennas with a simple flat base and was thinking that might be what I’m looking for but I guess the ones you posted besides the power one is what I actually need. Most of those extend super long which makes that tube below the base long as well. I probably will have room in my fender but I certainly am trying to avoid buying mistakes.

I'm looking at the base also because I thought they were at an angle, but I believe they do pivot.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 5:57 pm
Originally Posted by kursed
Autozone lists one by Metra that is retractable and fits in a 17mm (0.748 inch) hole. I would start there. The only thing I don't like about it is the black base and tip. I'm sure Metra makes one with chrome base and tip, but I just pulled this one up as it was the first that came up in a Google seach.

Only other suggestion would be to search the local scrap yards for something you like. Problem is going to be finding two identical or even really similar units in the scrap yard. Going with a company like Metra will give you more options for matching or similar units for the dual instal.

Metra from Autozone

As for the power units, I've had a couple back in my minitruckin' days and they're actually quite small. I got them out of scrapyard Toyotas or something like that, one was from a Caddy. Speedway Motors sells a decent one these days.

Power from Speedway Motors

*EDIT* Here is a chrome one I found on eBay using "Telescoping Car Antenna" in Google search. Probably a bunch more out there too.

Chrome from eBay

Those little ones from Metra are similar to what I will be using. I have dual frenched antennas on the rear of my 77 Dodge
Well that solves it I guess, just lack of knowledge getting the better of me when it’s a pretty simple solution. I will see what I can find in the shorter lengths but in the style you guys have shared and think I should be good to go.

Lee - are your tubes around 1.5” diameter for the French or did you go larger diameter? I just need enough room for a drain hole or nipple I can weld to the bottom off to the side of the antenna
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 14th 2020 7:52 pm
Well that solves it I guess, just lack of knowledge getting the better of me when it’s a pretty simple solution. I will see what I can find in the shorter lengths but in the style you guys have shared and think I should be good to go.

Lee - are your tubes around 1.5” diameter for the French or did you go larger diameter? I just need enough room for a drain hole or nipple I can weld to the bottom off to the side of the antenna

Mine were on the van when I bought it but the tubes are 1.75" with a drain nipple welded to bottom with a rubber tube attached to run through the floor. Here is a shot of the outside and a picture of the inside with the drain nipple (but the tube is off right now)
[Linked Image]IMG-5277 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-5280 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Awesome! My buddy has some scrap 1.75" tubing he uses to make motorcycle exhaust so I think I will just use that and will give me a little more room around the antenna anyways. Love seeing pics so thank you!
Posted By: kursed Re: Frenched Antenna - What Type of Antenna? - May 15th 2020 2:44 am
They usually have a slot in the half-ball shaped base so that you can angle it one way or the other, or you can center it and go straight up. The black plastic or rubber (some have one, others have the other) can usually be removed. Some kits even come with optional flat and angled bases.
Thank you Kursed! Going to get some parts together!
© Vannin' Community and Forums