Vannin' Home
Posted By: tuner4life Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 21st 2017 8:33 pm
Having an issue tracking down the door hinge seals for my 1985 G20. Not the flat foam gasket type seals that are on the body-side of the hinge, but on the doors themselves, there is a rectangular molded rubber grommet of sorts that goes between the hinge and the door panel. The hinge passes through the middle of this seal. I can't seem to find anything online and my originals are hard and cracking. Any ideas?

They would fit into these holes on both back doors and both side barn doors:

[Linked Image]

Edit: I do see that Steele Rubber Products has something that looks similar, but doesn't show as compatible.. Also $45 for a set of 4.. shocked

http://www.steelerubber.com/hinge-seal-60-0285-69

Will those work?
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 3:14 am
He's looking for the seal plate for the hinge...

[Linked Image]

I went to a JY to get the exact thing & the guy made me buy all the hinges for $20 when I needed 4 seals.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 12:30 pm
Nope, I need the other side. The one you're showing is the flat gasket that mounts to the body-side of the hinge. I need the other side where the hinge goes into the door.

Here's a better visual:

Not my van, I grabbed this from elsewhere on the forum, but you can see the seals I need on the barn doors (not on the body, but on the doors themselves), the seals are black where the hinges enter the door panel:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 2:34 pm
Its the same plate, the one you talking about are on my van already. Was just giving a pic of what you needed. Some are a full "O" some are a "U", open on one end.

How many are you looking for ?
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 3:47 pm
That's weird.. On mine, there is only the plate on the body side of the hinge, the door side only has the rubber seal, no plate. The old seals were a full rectangle and went all the way around the hinge.

I think I have a couple of the old seals, so I'll take pictures tonight, that's what I probably should have done from the start.. worms

I would need 8 total.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 5:32 pm
there are "U" shaped plates.

[Linked Image]

I stand corrected the ones on the door are a rubber seal without the steel trim plate ....

[Linked Image]

Either way the JY is your best bet .. or make a set like we did for the foam seal.

That Chevy from black79gmc in the for sale section that you posted to would be a great place to get them.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 5:53 pm
Is there a part number on the seals?
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 6:59 pm
Thanks Frscke! Those are the ones! I'm just worried that any used seals I get will have the same problem as my originals.. They are hard and cracking/crumbling. The vans I've found in the local junk yards are also the same. It would be nice to have new rubber there but I'm afraid nobody makes them anymore.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 7:31 pm
After doing a bit more research.. Here are some similarly shaped grommets that I've found.. I've tried crossing part numbers and whatnot, but I can't verify that they are correct for a van.. luckily, the Steelerubber site has dimensions, so I'll check mine tonight and hopefully get lucky

http://www.bobschevytrucks.com/1967-1972-suburban-cargo-door-hinge-grommet-chevy-gmc.html

http://www.steelerubber.com/hinge-seal-60-0659-69

Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 22nd 2017 9:58 pm
Have you tried partsvoice?
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 24th 2017 12:11 pm
I think I've got them. Asked the local GM dealer who said they couldn't get them from GM anymore, but gave me a source that showed having them. GM part number 12337944.

Vintage parts
vpartsinc.com
877-846-8243

Their website isn't great, but I called and was able to order them. $2.75/ea. Should be to my house on Tuesday! Fingers crossed!
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 24th 2017 8:26 pm
At that price, I would order a few extra for future use if needed, as they were so hard to find. You can always sell them, if you don't need them.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 27th 2017 12:51 pm
I am very impressed with Vintage Parts's speedy service. I ordered these on Friday morning and they showed up at my house on Saturday before noon. I was impressed!

These grommets are unfortunately different than the originals and I don't think that they will seal quite as well, but I did confirm that this is and has been the official GM replacement for a long time. So they will have to do. Instead of being a true grommet like the originals, the new ones are flat and attach to the exterior of the door with double stick tape. They are also split at the bottom so they can be installed without removing the doors. Again, not perfectly ideal, but I think they will work well enough for me especially since this van won't be out in too much weather. I did order a couple extra just in case.

Here are the pictures.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dyno_Dave Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 27th 2017 5:13 pm
Is that opening a little wider on the new part?

You could always finish cutting it in half, taking a small section out of the middle. A dab of silicone to seal the cut at the top, and adhesive to hold them in place on the door.
Posted By: tuner4life Re: Looking for door hinge seals for 1985 GM van - March 27th 2017 7:35 pm
They look funny in the picture, but the hole is very close to the correct size. Definitely going to be using some silicone if there are gaps. May have to find some adhesive if they don't stay by themselves. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.. Since these can be installed around the hinges and doesn't require them to be removed, that will save me some hassle after paint is done.

© Vannin' Community and Forums