Vannin' Home

Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA

Posted By: Reed

Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 08th 2017 12:59 am

OK- I mean it this time. I am putting my van up for sale. I am very reluctant to do this, and it is a hard decision, but my needs have changed and I need a different van.

1989 Ford E-150. Engine is a 1984 351W H.O. motor, C-6 trans, 9 inch rear axle (3.55 gears)
189,000 miles on the body. Engine, transmission, and rear axle were rebuilt about 50,000-70,000 miles ago. Front end rebuilt using all now made-in-USA Moog components, including new kingpins. New rear leaf springs. new heater core.

Van is an Explorer brand conversion, four captains chairs and a bed in the back with the third panel so it is extra big.

Mechanically, this van is awesome. I have been working on this van for the last seven years fixing all the mechanical stuff because it was going to be my forever van. Engine has an off-brand copy of the Edelbrock performer cam. Engine also has a Ford MAF based sequential fuel injection system from a 93 Mustang. Motor runs great and this van will cruise all day at 85+ on the highway. Transmission is rebuilt and works great, but the gears whine a bit. Same on the rear axle- rebuilt, but the guy who set it up didn't get it quite right so the gears whine a bit.

Front and rear AC and heat work great, but I think the ducting for the rear HVAC unit leaks into the rear wall and needs to be sealed up. It all works, but not much air comes out of the vents. The AC system was recently rebuilt with a new compressor and blows totally cold. Converted to R-134 new refrigerant, too.

I just installed a new Walker Quiet Flow muffler so the van is quiet but has a free flowing exhaust.

The worst thing about the van is the cosmetics. It is all original 1989 conversion van, except I replaced the driver's seat with an aftermarket heavy duty seat. Original seat comes with the van. The paint is faded and has chips and the pinstriping is peeling off. The interior fabric is faded and a bit worn in spots, but no rips of big stains. The interior wood needs refinishing and has some damage in places, but is all there and not too bad.

Van will come with lots of extra stuff, too much to list. Pictures to come in a bit.

I have taken this van on a couple 300+ mile trips in the last two months and it had no problems (other than blowing the original heater core, which I have fixed).

Basically this is a 1989 van with rebuilt mechancials and upgrades so it is better than new, but it needs cosmetic work.

I am asking $3000 OBO (not very flexible, but willing to deal). OR I will trade in full or part for a 1992 or later Ford conversion van with a high top, fabric interior, and overhead cabinets in the top. Let's make a deal!

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 18th 2017 1:08 am

Bump!

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 19th 2017 7:43 pm

Bump! Seriously, is anyone even interested in this? Is my price too high? I need to move this because I am getting serious pressure to make room in the driveway for a new van. I would much rather see this van go to a vanner than have to end up selling it cheap to a meth-head or donating it.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 19th 2017 7:48 pm

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All polished up a few years ago-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paint has faded again since the last polish, but it probably has one or two more polishes left before it gets too thin to bring back. Plenty of chips and scratches. Interior is faed and a bit worn, but clean with no rips or tears or stains. Driver's seat is a new heavy duty one I bought but the original matching seat will come with the van.

The spare tire carrier is back on the back door, I want to keep the rims and tires that are on it right now.
Posted By: BlairW

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 19th 2017 7:56 pm

Nice van. Thats basically exactly what I was looking for, before I bought my Nomad. A buddy back in highschool had one very similar to yours. Good luck with sale

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 19th 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks. If it had a slider on the side doors or if it were a 92+ with the larger front side door for easier access I would definitely be keeping it. I just need a van that is easier to get in and out of on the side and a high top would be nice. Heck, I would even do a straight across trade for the right van.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 21st 2017 6:21 pm

BUMP! This van has been upgraded with a heavy duty radiator and the cooling system works great (new water pump and fan clutch in the last year). I also upgraded to a 120 amp 3G alternator after the 2g alternator shorted out and died. It has dual gas tanks, recently replaced KYB Gas-A-Just shocks all around, an aftermarket rear sway bar. This van will come with all my extra 75-91 E-150 parts. A partial list includes: a rebuilt 1989 AOD trandmission that needs some minor work to the tailshaft area to be useable, the original aluminum driveshaft tat the van was buitl with but that is not about an inch and a half too short to use with the nine inch rear axle, a fiberglass front air dam, an extra full overhead console for the front cab area, it has trailer brakes and a tow hitch. Shorty headers that attach to a stock y pipe, a round headlight grille and hood with the F-O-R-D lettering and turn signal panel that goes below the grill, lots of extra little bits I have collected over the years.

NO MAJOR RUST! Very minor surface rust is barely starting on the bottom, but there is virtualy no rust on this van and no body damage (other than the usual parking lot dings).

Any questions? Feel free to ask! Flexible on the price. Even for $3000 I am losing thousands on this sale. BUT I WILL HAPPILY SELL IT FOR LESS IF IT WILL GO TO SOMEONE WHO WILL APPRECIATE IT! Want to ship it? I will work with you!
Posted By: Rusty_Pancelode

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 23rd 2017 2:34 am

I think the van is great, but you're in Washington, and I already have 7 cars.
I have room out here on my property for probably 50 cars, but not in my marriage. LOL

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 23rd 2017 2:22 pm

I hear you.

Last weekend I took the van on a 260+ mile round trip drive. It drove 130 miles on the highway at 70-85 MPH and only used 3/4 of one tank of gas. That is about 10 gallons of gas. AC worked great, van ran beautifully.
Posted By: lukester

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 24th 2017 1:49 am

I think its a great van for your asking price. The buyer is defentily getting a well cared for van that had all the work done the right way.I have read a lot of What you have done. I may be wrong but I don't think there are a lot of vanners near you ? That would be the only reason I could see it not selling. That fact you are willing to ship and every one here knows you should be a plus. I wish you the best of luck in finding her a new home. cheers

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - May 24th 2017 3:55 pm

There are vanners out here, and evants, I just don't ever go to the evants due to my work/life schedule.

Well, the window is closing on me selling my van. If it doesn't sell soon I am going to hang onto it for another year and work on cleaning it up and fixing the few little mechanical problems that remain.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - June 05th 2017 7:51 pm

BUMP! I might be looking at a new van on uesday, so I am getting motivated to sell my old one. Make me an offer! Bring a trailer or extra truck for all the spare parts that will go with this van!
Posted By: Wedgy

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - June 05th 2017 9:33 pm

Pretty nice Van there Reed.
Nicely done.

Your new one is out there, when it's time, it's time, but I'm thinking you'll miss this little Ford.

"You did good, Frankie.. " "Hey Everyone! Look at what Frankie did!"

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - June 05th 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks. I found a 93 Ford high top conversion with a 460 crate motor with less than 26,000 miles very close to me. It is almost exactly what i am looking for, but I can't get it unless my old van goes. We'll see what happens.
Posted By: lukester

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - June 05th 2017 11:49 pm

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - June 06th 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks. So far, no interest in my van, and I might end up having to spend the money for a new van repairing the bathroom in my house. That's life.
Posted By: Keep_On_Truckin_WNY

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - June 15th 2017 8:37 pm

Man, someone would get a great deal on this - I know how thorough you are, and anyone can get the interior cleaned and detailed for a reasonable amount...

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - June 15th 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks. I figure I could pay a local detail shop about $350 to get the van detailed inside and out. That would polish the paint right up and get the dust out of the interior.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - July 29th 2018 2:45 am

BUMP! My van is back on the market. I recently replaed the injectors with rebuilt ones, new plugs, new coil, nes to me but used rear axle center section that is quiet, new/rebuilt u-joints. New rotors, rebuilt front and rear brakes. I will be replacing the radiator fan clutch soon.

Earlier this year I accidentally backed into a shed and there is some minor body damage on the right rear quarter, right on the corner. It can be easily pushed back out and refinished, but the paint flaked off and it is starting to rust. Hopefully I will be able to address it soon, but my schedule is really full. The rear bumper also got slightly tweaked but shouldn't take much to pull it back.

I have had this van for about a decadea nd have gone over everything on it, except the cosmetics. Lots of little upgrades, good maintenance.

$3000 obo. This van is a solid daily driver and I would not hesitate to hop in it and drive it anywhere. I want to keep some things like the rims and aftermarket gauges and tach and fog lights, but I am flexible on the price. This is a grert opportunity for someone to get a solid base for a custom build. I have a bunch of extra bits and pieces to go with it, like a digital instrument cluster and fiberglas air dam.

Located in Tacoma, WA. You gotta come get it.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - July 29th 2018 2:49 am

Oh, yeah, the spare tire rack is off the rear door and the spare is stowed under the bed, which I lifted in order to fit the spare under it.

I have the original aluminum rims that Explorer put on it and they even have very new tires, bought this year with less than 300 miles on them.

Seriously, buy this van and do all the cosmetic customization I couldn't get to. You won't regret it. Fly in to SeaTac airport and drive home anywhere in the country.

I also just installed a Kenwood stereo with CD and bluetooth for all your grooving needs. The speakers are pretty lame, though.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - January 11th 2019 4:36 am

Very interested in the van, but no $$$ until tax season at best. 🤯
Posted By: newkirkinc1

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - January 11th 2019 12:20 pm

Good luck with it Reed. Very nice indeed!

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 29th 2019 1:02 am

Bump. I am still here! I could still be persuaded to sell the van. I am looking at getting a newer van for my family with the larger side door opening. My butt isn't getting any smaller as I get older and the same-size side doors on the 89 just don't cut it. I want this van to go to a vanner. Too much to list. I could spend 45 minutes telling you everything I have done to it. And you will get lots of extra parts.

But I am keeping the slotted mag wheels.
Posted By: frscke1

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 29th 2019 2:07 am

Hey buddy how ya doin ... glad its a sale to replace it with another.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 29th 2019 2:15 am

Hello! Good to be back.

I have my eye on a 1996 Ford E150 two owner high top with a 351 but 223,000 miles. The drivetrain has high miles, but the ad makes the rest of it look OK. That is a tradeoff I am willing to make since I can turn wrenches easier than build a nice looking interior.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 31st 2019 12:28 am

Well, that high mile 96 was a turd. Still on the hunt for a 92-up Ford van, but still have my 89 for sale or trade.
Posted By: CatFish

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 31st 2019 4:29 pm

Well Reed, it don't do much good but there's a few mid 90's out here.
At least give you an idea of the asking price for a pretty nice high top '96 with 351 and comfort goodies ...... smile

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/alpharetta-1996-ford-econoline-150/6848522655.html

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 31st 2019 5:00 pm

Vans that nice go for $5000-up around where I live. I can find either total basket cases or vans out of my price range. I will keep looking. This purchase is driven mostly by the ladies of the house, so the new van must be in good shape.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 31st 2019 5:05 pm

Happy wife happy life ....

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - March 31st 2019 5:07 pm

Close- happy Ma and sister, happy life.
Posted By: Wedgy

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - April 01st 2019 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Reed
Well, that high mile 96 was a turd...
shocked

A quite classic quote of which Mark Twain himself would be proud!

Great to hear your stories again. Stay with it! Love yer show Counselor

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - April 01st 2019 6:17 pm

Thank you, thank you.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 19th 2019 9:38 pm

BUMP. Still for sale. I really want it to go to a vanner who will appreciate it and finish it up. It will need someone who is not afraid of using aftermarket tuning computers, but hey, if I could do it, anyone can. Flexible on price, but I won't give it away.
Posted By: newkirkinc1

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 20th 2019 12:43 am

Best of luck with it.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 20th 2019 1:31 am

Thanks. I need to sell it because I need to get a different van that fits my needs better. I have my eye on one, and MIGHT be bringing it home this week. So, if someone wants to buy my old van, now is your time to make an offer. I will be keeping a few things off it, but nothing major. Plus it will come with tons and tons of extra parts.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 20th 2019 3:12 am

OK- new van coming home to me this week, so now I am a motivated seller. This van will drive cross country, but it does have a few little things that need work.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 20th 2019 8:32 pm

Seriously- someone make me an offer. I need this van to sell ASAP.
Posted By: Deathorvictory

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 20th 2019 8:39 pm

You got it on Facebook marketplace, OfferUp and Craigslist?

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 20th 2019 8:40 pm

Not yet. I did put it on the Gen III Ford facebook page. I am trying to sell it to a vanner before i offer it to the general public. Hey, you are close by. Interested?

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 20th 2019 9:46 pm

I am not unfortunately, will have one to sell myself soon.

I would forego trying to sell it to a "vanner". You need it gone and those sites will help you sell it quick. I bought mine from OfferUp. Many are listed in CL and OU that sell easily. You are offering a very fair deal, I would assume it sells quickly.
Posted By: oldskool73

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 21st 2019 1:04 am

Are you buying the '75 I sold to the flipper on CL ?

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 21st 2019 2:10 am

Ha! No, I wish. I found a pretty nice 95 conversion that will work better with my family. If it were just me I would keep my 89, but I have to be considerate of the ladies. I might have found a vanner in Oklahoma who is interested, but we will see if it works out.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 21st 2019 2:56 am

Good luck man! Hope you can make it all work
Posted By: georgetheman

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 21st 2019 5:52 pm

what wheels and tires will come on van

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 21st 2019 5:57 pm

Newer Ford factory aluminum rims with newish tires.
Posted By: Just4fun1991

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 21st 2019 6:55 pm

Newish tires, are they made by Goodyear?

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 21st 2019 7:12 pm

Don't know yet. I will be swapping the rims and tires from the 95 Ford I just purchased. However, the 95 Ford is at my brother's house 40 miles form me. I had him check it out and buy it for me. I have not personally laid eyes on the 95 Ford yet. The seller of the 95 said the tires were new and I can see from pictures that the rims are the factory Ford aluminum rims from 95. Ergo, factory Ford aluminum rims with newish tires.

I am not trying to scam anyone or hide anything. I am answering as forthrightly as possible. I will know more once I get the 95 in my possession this weekend.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 22nd 2019 6:49 pm

SOLD! To a vanner in Oklahoma.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 22nd 2019 7:22 pm

YAY !
Posted By: Just4fun1991

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 22nd 2019 7:35 pm

Congrats!!!

1. Are you delivering to Oklahoma?
2. Does this open the driveway for a new project?

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 22nd 2019 11:58 pm

That’s great! Hope the new van works out.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 23rd 2019 4:16 am

Oklahoma vanner will be flying to me and then driving it back home in an epic road trip.

It sort of makes room for another project. The 95 won't need much work, so I won't have the stress of planning to repaint a van. Taking that load off will let me focus on some other projects I have.

The 95 van will be a family outing/road trip van, so I will be more focused on keeping it comfortable and reliable. It has a 351 and my brother reports it can bury the needle, so that is all the performance I need.

I will be focusing my hot rod and customizing energy on some other non-van projects I have.

I am pretty happy the deal worked out like it did. It is having many good side effects for other people besides me and the purchaser, so I couldn't ask for more. I will post pictures of the 95 once I have it down at my place.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 23rd 2019 8:09 pm

Grr. Scheduling conflicts have pushed the arrival of the 95 back to next Tuesday. I will post pictures when it gets here.

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 25th 2019 7:17 pm

Well, Incase anyone is curious,I am the new owner of this beauty....
My wife and I will be flying up mid October and doing a three day drive back to Oklahoma City. The planned route is Seattle to Bozeman Mt, Bozeman Mt to Denver Co, and Denver Co to Oklahoma City Ok. If you are on that route and would like to meet up, let me know !

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 25th 2019 7:22 pm

Hey UF Im on that route ya just have to turn right lol

Re: Selling my 89 Ford E150- $3000 Tacoma, WA - August 26th 2019 12:11 am

Lol
© 2019 Vannin' Community and Forums