Vannin' Home
Posted By: Binga_23 89 B150 Windshield Washer - June 01st 2018 10:12 pm
Hey guys, had a question regarding my wiper/washer switch.

My windshield wipers work well, however Ive never known how to engage the windshield washer. Reservoir is full, hoses are intact, I can see the electrical wires and seems connected.

The lever that engages my indicators seems fairly loose (not sure how normal that is)

Any info regarding how to engage the windshield washer will be much appreciated. Im thinking that you push the sliding part towards the steering column?
Im just currently looking through my Haynes manual and will attempt to take the steering column apart in the next couple of days but thought I would post here incase anyone had quick fixes for me.

Thanks!

Posted By: RichardB Re: 89 B150 Windshield Washer - June 03rd 2018 2:35 pm
My 91 the switch is a little different than yours but you do push the end in towards the steering column to make it spray. If you have a wiring diagram you can check that power is coming to the correct part of the switch at the connector in the steering column. Then probe the wire that sends the 12v signal to the fluid motor. If power is coming to the switch, but not leaving the switch.=, it's 99% odds you need a new switch.

I had the replace that switch in my 91 a month after I got it because only the left side blinkers were blinking. Oreily's had it on the shelf for $65 or so, it wasen't super expensive and only took about 30 minutes to replace. Half of that spent finding the correct Torx screw driver (it was held in with star drive screws).

- Rich
© Vannin' Community and Forums