Vannin' Home
Posted By: Henkka RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - December 21st 2017 11:28 am
Hello to all vanning people from Finland smile

Having problems with stop lights. Turn signals and hazard warning are working but not anymore stop lights.

Have followed instructions from my Chrysler 1986 Service Manual for making " Checking continuity".
'
Fuse 7 is ok. Where can I locate splice called M1 ? Good grounding with extra soldered grounf wire. Bulps are working ( measured with ohmmeter ).

Opened physically stop lamp brake switch - it is working without problems. There is 6 wires. Manual is telling these colors but car has different colours.

Manual tells 18 White o o 18 Pink these are connected when brake pedal is not pushed
____

18 Dark Blue o____o 18 Dark Blue these are connected when brake pedal is not pushed

18 White / Red o____o 18 White these are connected together when after brake pedal is pushed

In my Dodge RAM Prospector year 1989 V8 318 with automat transmission

18 Dark blue / Red o o 18 Yellow / Red these are connected when brake pedal is not pushed

____

18 White / Red o____o 18 Black these are connected when brake pedal is not pushed

18 Dark Green o____o 18 White these are connected when brake pedal is not pushed

Continuined - when brake pushed then wires

18 White / Red ----- 18 Black and 18 Dark Green ----- 18 White

are connected.

When not pressing brake pedal 18 Dark Green and 18 White have connection.

Disconnected turn signal harness from body wiring harness. Measured with ohmmeter.
Ohmmeter is working. Using multimeter on ohm are. Probes are good.

Does anybody have picture or information about these wires that are soldered to plastical component with plastic window in steering column ?

Copy of page B27 from service manual http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Prospectorvan/media/B27a_zpslzqcvtol.jpg.htmlstop

Copy of page B28 from service manual http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Prospectorvan/media/B28_zpsit6nwzcv.jpg.html

Copy of page where displaned prosedure about making continuity test http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Prospectorvan/media/Checking%20continuity_zpsqx3ctwcu.jpg.html

Attached File
Checking continuity.jpg  (62 downloads)
Attached File
B27a.jpg  (65 downloads)
Attached picture B28.jpg
Posted By: frscke1 Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - December 21st 2017 4:54 pm
Welcome to the site Henkka .... the dodge boys will be along shortly ...

Again welcome ......
Posted By: Henkka Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - December 23rd 2017 7:38 am
Thank You.

I am not so pretty good with english either write or listen. Trying get help.

Need to fix my brake lights. I am retired. Have been working as electrician but not with car electricity.

Hope that somebody could give some help with this issue.

Here in Finland cars older than 3 years must be inspected every year.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - December 23rd 2017 2:58 pm
Your English is just fine .... I wish I knew the answer ..
if you have ice and snow and a trailer harness, re check all the connections underneath. The #1 cause of lighting issues is separating and grounded out trailer connections.

Brake light switch is on the pedal arm under the dash usually . Make sure its working testing with a test light.
Posted By: Henkka Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - December 24th 2017 11:39 am
Thank You for Your responce and wishing Merry Christmas
Posted By: Henkka Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - December 24th 2017 12:30 pm
Thank You for hints. Should check trailer harness. I fixed that problem from my friends car.

Usually at this time of the year we have had snow. But now there is nearly no snow compared to earlier years.
We live in quite near middel of Finland.

Tested brake light switch. Measured with a help of multimeter/ ohmmeter. Opened whole switch for checking bad connection. Everything is clear and clean.

Wonder ( don`t know the name to this combonent which is installed in the steering column, I call horse shoe) if in this combonent is some problem.
In year 2016 had problem instead brake lights with turn signal lights. Changed places with white and dark green wire.
Situation was fixed. I didn`t own yet that time Chrysler Service Manual for 1986 RAM VAN.

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Prospectorvan/library/?sort=3&page=1

Should continue with my car issue.

Merry Christmas

Henry
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - December 25th 2017 6:30 am
Henkka, welcome!

Here's a few more possibilities.

It might be worth making certain that the metal tail light reflector baskets are grounded properly. On many of the Dodge vans, a single screw which retains the tail light lenses acts as the electrical ground for both tail lights. On my Dodge van, the screw is on the passenger side tail light. If you can access the rear of the basket, you'll see a ground wire leading to a clip on that screw. Corrosion or using an incorrect screw may cause a loss of electrical ground to both baskets. The original screws are different than hardware store screws.

I've also seen the sockets may become damaged internally, especially the spring-loaded contacts. They may become deformed, their springs may fail, or the fiber plate may become partially punched out.

There is a more annoying and misleading issue I've encountered, where the inexpensively built Chinese light bulbs electrical contacts may not extend far enough to reach the electrical contacts in the sockets! If you can access the rear of the sockets, you can watch to see if the spring-loaded contact pins move as you insert and rotate the bulbs.

Best wishes!
Posted By: Henkka Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - January 05th 2018 7:49 am
Hello again, now brake lights are working, but when I push brake pedal getting indication in cluster that I´m turning to left.

Once in year 2016 I fixed turn signal problems by changing places of two wires white and dark green.
They are found in so called multifuction switch or with other words the component where you have hazard switch and turn signal switches.

There is also coming up to steering column from body harness 2 wires for horn ( light blue and black wires ).

Does somebody have good picture of this part ? If there is possibility to see how the white and dark green wires are placed.
It is so long time ago when I had problems with turn signals.
When uninstalled switc component could I see that I had soldered white and green wires. Originally all those wires are not soldered.

I have a picture ( bad quality ).Coulden`t attach because it is bigger than 1 MB. Link to image:

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Prospectorvan/media/20171225_104505_zpsspxi1eir.jpg.html?sort=3&o=22]Switch

Posted By: Reed Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - January 05th 2018 10:15 pm
I believe the switch you are referring to is commonly called the turn signal switch here in the United States. On 1989 Dodge vans the turn signal switch also controlled the hazard warning flashers and the high beam headlight operation.

It sounds like you need to replace the switch and verify that the wiring in your van is still correct. The best tool for this job is a factory service manual for your van that has the factory wiring diagrams.

Here is a link to rockauto.com where you can look at a picture of the part and order it if you need a new one. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1989,b150,5.2l+318cid+v8,1070952,electrical-switch+&+relay,turn+signal+switch,4832

Here is a link to an ebay auction for a factory serfice manual set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-DODGE-RAM-VAN-WAGON-RWD-Service-Repair-Shop-Manual-RWD-OEM-FACTORY-1989-Set/162773342764?hash=item25e60c1a2c:g:5f8AAOSwM0FXIB2a&vxp=mtr
Posted By: Henkka Re: RAM Prospector 1989 stop lights are not working - January 06th 2018 8:11 am
Hey, thank You for Your response. I own the service manual for Chrysler 1986 Rear Wheel Drive VAN / Wagon.

Sorry I`m not pretty good with english but try in anyway.

Followed and made checking of continuity. According to manual everything should be OK.

But it is strange thing that turn signal indicator to left is on as long foot brake pedal is pushed. When releasing foot brake
indicator lamp is going off.

I don`t know how many owners have had this my car. There is lot of stange connections.
At time I need to work outdoor. No garage. Made temporary shed of tarp.

Disconnected plus and minus from battery. Checking with multimeter which have ohmmeter area.

Car doesn`t have fusible links at all. Somebody have made changes through the years.
Must focus on adjusting the brakes now.

Car should be inspected until 15.01.2018.

Here is link to service manual side 129. " Checking continuity "

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Pr...ity_zpsqx3ctwcu.jpg.html?sort=3&o=34

© Vannin' Community and Forums