Vannin' Home
Posted By: Malatrix Idler Arm Replacement Help! - June 06th 2017 7:51 pm
So my '85 B150 failed inspection due to wobbly idler arms. I decided to spend a little bit more than bare minimum for new ones as I am goin on a long road trip in a few weeks. The arms I bought are quite different from the arms I pulled off. They don't fit right, they are too short where they attach to the frame and don't have the flanges like the one pulled. If I use one of the provided washers, it is still too loose, but two washers is too much. I have shopped around and the only ones that look right are ones from NAPA that cost $125 per arm and I need two. Every other arm looks exactly like the wrong ones. Am I being stupid and these just need proper shimming? Why are the only ones that fit right over $100?

Attached picture Goo.jpg
Attached picture Foo.jpg
Posted By: Reed Re: Idler Arm Replacement Help! - June 06th 2017 8:26 pm
Hmmm, Rockauto has the Moog idler arm for your van for $54. I would return the ones you bought and order the Moog part from Rockauto. Are you using the metal or the rubber washers? You shouldn't have the bend the idler arm mount, but the fit should be snug.
Posted By: Malatrix Re: Idler Arm Replacement Help! - June 06th 2017 8:38 pm
I tried using the metal washers and they don't fit around the metal shaft, they sit outside of them. I also don't know hoe the rubber mounts would work as my original arms didn't have them. Have you used those Moog arms before? The picture they provide looks like it's wrong in exactly the same way....
Posted By: Reed Re: Idler Arm Replacement Help! - June 06th 2017 9:40 pm
Can you pop the metal washers off the original idler arms and reuse those?
Posted By: Malatrix Re: Idler Arm Replacement Help! - June 06th 2017 10:29 pm
Unfortunately no, they are integral to the unit all the way through...
Posted By: Reed Re: Idler Arm Replacement Help! - June 06th 2017 10:35 pm
Hmmm, maybe grind some length of the center shaft of the new idler arms?
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Idler Arm Replacement Help! - June 08th 2017 4:10 pm
I've had these issues. with the different feet of different brand Idlers.

My latest set of Moog idler arms required me to open up the Idler arm mount by using a bolt inside it with a big washer and a nut. Loosen the nut and stretch the idler arm box until new Idler slipped inside.

Apparently I had crushed it on an earlier set of idler arms which did not last. Idler arms at AP stores can be outrageously priced, AND absolute crap quality.

I managed to get some made in the USA Moog problem solver Idler arms, but there are reports that the latest Moog made in 'elsewhere', idler arms are quite substandard. With obvious physical dimension differences.

Each one of my Moog PS Idlers has two grease nipples. Similar to how your new ones look. Did you paint them? It was 6 years ago but I think I had same issue, one washer too loose two washers would not fit, and I made up the box stretching rig with a thick bolt and thick washers to stretch the box to get both washers to fit.

I agree that one should not 'have to' stretch the box, but when one gets what appears to be the best Idler arms available, and they do not quitre fit, one makes them fit.

I was not going to reduce thickness of washers, and I remember the previous Idler arms requiring crushing of box somewhat, so I made the stretching rig and warmed up the metal some and did a lot of trial and error so I did not overstretch the box only to recrush it. Time consuming, but not difficult.
© Vannin' Community and Forums