Vannin' Home
Posted By: Biscuit Gravy DIY Air Dam - November 05th 2022 5:59 am
I made an air dam for my van from two '87-'90 Dakota air dams. My van is an '87 but I think the '86-'93 bumpers are the same. Here is how I did it.

The air dams were literally pulled from Dakotas at LKQ. The bolts were too rusted to loosen so I pried it off with a screwdriver. Only the center is used and can be welded up later.
[Linked Image]
I used an oscillating multi-tool to cut the ends off the first air dam 26" from the center. The other air dam was cut 20" from the center on each side for the corners.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The pieces were clamped to the bumper to check fitment and mark the mounting holes.
[Linked Image]
There was a 1.25" gap between the bottom of the fenders and the corners of the air dam. From the ends of the first air dam, mark and cut 1.25" by 7.5" sections from the upper corner.
[Linked Image]
I clamped the pieces to a hood and welded them together with a cheap Harbor Freight 80w plastic welding kit. I used SS screen to strengthen the inside of the seams.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I then made some nut plates to bolt it to the bumper, it had three mounting holes. Clip nuts hold the ends to the fenders which I drilled for the bolts.
[Linked Image]
The ends stuck out past the wheel well so they had to be trimmed also. Not show quality but neither is the rest of the van.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cheers

Attached picture 1_Dakota air dam two.jpg
Attached picture 3_first end cut.jpg
Attached picture 4_Cut tool.jpg
Attached picture 5_Clamped to bumper2.jpg
Attached picture 7_Side filler cut2.jpg
Attached picture 8_Ready for weld2.jpg
Attached picture 10_Nasty screen weld2.jpg
Attached picture 12_retainers.jpg
Attached picture 11_Front closeup2.jpg
Attached picture Driver Side.jpg
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: DIY Air Dam - November 15th 2022 2:38 pm
Nice job Biscuit Gravy! And thanks for the tutorial. Your air dam looks better than the bulky, low-hanging one I got for my old B-100 van from J. C. Whitney back in the 1980s.

Have you noticed any difference in how your van feels while driving, or in under hood temperatures or fuel economy?
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: DIY Air Dam - November 15th 2022 3:32 pm
That looks great
Posted By: lukester Re: DIY Air Dam - November 16th 2022 3:06 am
Nice work man 👍
Posted By: Biscuit Gravy Re: DIY Air Dam - November 16th 2022 3:25 am
Thanks! The handling doesn't feel different, but I've just been putting around town. The temp seems a little lower but I'm missing the panel at the bottom of the radiator that keeps air pressure from bleeding underneath. I haven't had a chance to test the mpg yet. Hopefully I can drive it to Florida in January to get new mpg numbers. I average around 15.5mpg (freeway) but if I keep it under 65mph I can get 17. I plan to make an undertray that spans from the air dam to the crossmember.
Posted By: Astrocreep66 Re: DIY Air Dam - November 16th 2022 12:19 pm
BiscuitGravy has that Dodge sitting right.
Posted By: Charlie 99909 Re: DIY Air Dam - November 24th 2022 3:43 pm
The Dakota air dams also fit the late 60’s to mid 70’s A body Mopars. My buddy pulled one for his Barracuda not too long ago.
© Vannin' Community and Forums