Vannin' Home
Posted By: KogonDodge MAINT REQD - May 22nd 2021 8:48 pm
How To- get this light to turn off? I am sure I did it once before with a key dance. I had the battery off for a while and it came back on. A google now only brings back something about a mysterious box above the brake pedal (which i think i found but i couldn't get it to turn the light off) and a dealer scan tool which are about $350 on eBay.

Is there an easier way?
Posted By: Wedgy Re: MAINT REQD - May 23rd 2021 1:38 am
The module is rest by inserting a small srewdriver blade or rod into the hole in the module to depress the reset switch which will turn off the lamp.
Posted By: KogonDodge Re: MAINT REQD - May 23rd 2021 3:13 pm
What color is the module? Is it blue?
Posted By: Wedgy Re: MAINT REQD - May 23rd 2021 8:24 pm
It's bolted to the brake pedal support above the column and above the brake pedal. Yep. Baby Blue. Same Van as yours. Mines installed upside down withthe connector on top. There's a little square hatch with a cover on the side oppisite the connector.

Good Wrenching
Posted By: frscke1 Re: MAINT REQD - May 23rd 2021 10:19 pm
Knowledge is everything .... way to go Bill !
Posted By: KogonDodge Re: MAINT REQD - May 24th 2021 1:57 am
Yep, that the thing all right. I took it apart and plugged it back in so I could feel the switch being pressed. Nothing. Does not reset, engine on, engine off, press once for long time, lots of small presses. Nothing.

Taking it off altogether makes the light go out.....any consequences to that?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Wedgy Re: MAINT REQD - May 25th 2021 1:51 am
The procedure is what was listed in the FSM for reset. I doubt it will affect anything if left unplugged.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: MAINT REQD - May 25th 2021 1:54 am
What does that module do ?

I txt bill and he said it was a timer to remind you to do maintenance on your van .....lol
Posted By: KogonDodge Re: MAINT REQD - May 25th 2021 3:47 am
Thanks guys. I'll unplug it and go for a drive then, see what happens. I don't need the little light! Previous owner put tape across it so obviously had a problem getting it to turn off too. I tried bridging the dimples on the back of the circuit board in every possible combination; nothing doing that either.

There are a couple on eBay but not cheap for what it is.
Posted By: NateB Re: MAINT REQD - May 25th 2021 10:33 am
Oh geez I remember those things. I think the little box had a 9V battery in it. ???

I think it was an EGR maintenance timer.
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: MAINT REQD - May 31st 2021 7:25 am
Yes, the maintenance reminder module was designed to use a 9v alkaline battery to retain its mileage count while the ignition key was off. It's inputs were a black and a white wire which ran to a switch contact driven by a cam on the odometer tenths wheel. They intended for a 15,000 mile maintenence interval. To reset the lamp, you have to insert a thin screwdriver blade or rod into the hole in the maintenance reminder electronics module, to reset the switch inside. Please note that you have to remove the 9v battery before resetting the switch! They specify that the vehicle battery should not be disconnected while the 9v battery is removed. This is primarily due to the module resetting its mileage count immediately upon turning on the reminder light. They don't want to lose the new accumulated mileage count.
Posted By: KogonDodge Re: MAINT REQD - June 08th 2021 8:20 pm
Interesting - I'll pull it off again and see if there is a place for a battery, I don't recall one but the blue box is pretty big for just that circuit board
Posted By: KogonDodge Re: MAINT REQD - June 09th 2021 3:04 am
Looks like I have got the Mk II version or something. There is space for a battery, just the right size for a 9v, but no holes in the box and no where on the circuit board a battery would connect to. Weird! It's possible there is a small battery built in on the PCB but I can't see it, otherwise I guess it maintains its memory some other way (but not my one, which won't reset!)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: MAINT REQD - June 11th 2021 6:10 pm
I actually have a white one of them out right now, but I'm out of state. I'll take a look when I get home, perhaps Monday. I think mine might have one of those clips with wires, though I haven't looked at it in quite a while.
© Vannin' Community and Forums