Vannin' Home
Posted By: Overdose Quick Fix For Steering? - November 18th 2018 6:00 am
Heyall,

Dug into steering all at once today . Pulled steering wheel and tried to rehab ragjoint . Loosened column and noticed no bearing in shaft toward the bottom at the coupler. Lots of slop. Need quick fix or link to easily replace bearing ? All Major web stores have a clamshell type bushing that fits around shaft with a couple springs or clips to secure for over $50. Has anyone McGuyver anything easier ? Like some end link polyeurathane bushing or any application you made to slide up steering tube and secure ? I would like to know. Seems like there must be a cheaper alternative.

Also need to separate ragjoint from steering box but lower side has fixed pin, press fit studs, and clips holding the ragjoint . How to procede even with aftermarket hardware ?

Also replacement steering (true Dodge B200) wheel doesn't feel like a fit to the spline count on this column shaft. How to seat steering wheel properly over splines ?

Thank You
Posted By: Overdose Re: Quick Fix For Steering? - November 19th 2018 5:20 am
Got out the rag joint and drilled out to reinstall. Lots of progress. Column is in pretty bad shape , feels like sand in the shifter . spline end was beat up and steering wheel forced . Need to rebuild. Anybody know a good Mopar column rebuilder in So Cal ?
Posted By: Overdose Re: Quick Fix For Steering? - November 19th 2018 4:47 pm
?
Posted By: Overdose Re: Quick Fix For Steering? - November 21st 2018 8:35 am
I guess no one has ever removed and restored a column
Posted By: Wedgy Re: Quick Fix For Steering? - November 22nd 2018 2:33 pm
Originally Posted by Overdose
Got out the rag joint and drilled out to reinstall. Lots of progress. Column is in pretty bad shape , feels like sand in the shifter . spline end was beat up and steering wheel forced . Need to rebuild. Anybody know a good Mopar column rebuilder in So Cal ?

Hey OD, Born and raised in Pasadena!

So. I went back and read thru to see what year we're talking about. So I believe, a 42 year old MOPAR. column. Man. I wouldn't even know where to start, so I feel your pain. If you are unable to find a Rebuilder, the possible solutions? A Donor, possibly from a newer model. Or. The Custom Car guys put different Columns into Cars, Lots of Customizers around SoCal. Lowriders too. Hit them up? Good Hunting my Friend!
Posted By: kursed Re: Quick Fix For Steering? - December 14th 2018 1:34 pm
I've rebuilt Chevy columns on 67-72 trucks, but they are somewhat easy to find the parts for. YES absolutely get something in there, without a bearing for support, you will eventually wear the column down and it will snap the shaft. How do I know this? It's happened to me before.

In my case I was driving the truck to my hunting camp, I had literally just pulled off the main road which was 55 and into the parking spot 2 minutes up the trail when the shaft snapped and I had no control. 2 minutes earlier and I would have probably been upside down in the creek. I had to rebuild that one in the middle of the woods on the bed and tailgate.

If you can't source a good bearing somewhere, try the truck columns. I would think the poly would work in a pinch, but I would feel more comfortable with an actual bearing. My one tip is lay the parts out in order when you take them out, so it's easy to install them in reverse order. Good luck man.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Overdose Re: Quick Fix For Steering? - December 19th 2018 5:06 am
Alright getting to the source now. Column is out for a rebuild and getting dipped and painted. Discovered A broken Shift collar and worn detent filled with grit and sand , This van was one time in a river bed or something ,and full of wasp nests all over the interior, even inside the column behind the turn signal swich,...… Damn!!

Anyone have a rebuildable pile of Mid seventies B200 power steering Shift Collar, Detent, and shifter arm laying around unused ? I cannot find one even on Ebay except for the whole column for big $$ .

Your help much appreciated

Van On

Steve
310-384-8722

1975 Dodge B200 Tradesman
© Vannin' Community and Forums