Vannin' Home
Posted By: nikothenomad Rebuilding our 8 3/8 (8.25) Rear Differential - February 20th 2022 1:45 am
A few months back our 1988 Dodge B250 decided to present us with a new challenge. She started making a loud clunk and would jerk from take off and upon slowing down. Best assessment was the rear differential / axle area. So, we decided to explore this completely uncharted territory. Within the last 12 years of owning her the only thing we had done thus far was change the rear differential fluid. This has been quite an interesting adventure. The following two links are for .pdf documents with photos and descriptions of what we've done so far - for those that are interested.

Rear Differential - Digging In

Rear Differential - Foiled Again
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Rebuilding our 8 3/8 (8.25) Rear Differential - February 24th 2022 10:52 pm
Thanks for sharing your journey! You've gone where few dare. I hope you experience no further complications.
I'm so happy that you called that axle what it is, an 8 3/8. Even though it's basically identical to the 8 1/4 it's always nice to see accuracy with something that kinda doesn't matter. Thanks.
Thanks, Ram. We are happy the rebuild was successful and considering ours was a standard open not too difficult.

75Road... Thanks. I do try to be accurate but found even calling shops and such they sick with the 8.25 moniker.
© Vannin' Community and Forums